2003 Honda Element- What oil should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girlfriend has a Honda Element with almost 90K miles on it. It has had dealer/shop oil changes every 3-5K miles since the start and always dino (regular) oil.

I will be doing the oil changes now and I would like to put synthetic in the car and go a little longer than 5K per oil change.

I was thinkign about using AMSOIL 5W20 with the EA filter and doing changes every 7.5K to 10K miles. I wanted to hear your thoughts on this and if you guys think this is a good choice or if there is somethign else better to use.

I assume you have the Honda 2.4L engine which is one of the best 4cyl on the market IMHO. It's easy on oil so 10k is easily attainable with a good synthetic and even some conventional oils although I'd def use a synthetic >10k miles. Amsoil is a very good choice. I'm using their 0w-20 now and just changed it last night. 11k miles. I could probably go further but won't know until I get the UOA back. For up to 7.5k, the Amsoil 5w-20 XL is probably a better choice for you. You could do 7.5k with any oil in this engine but the Amsoil will give you a good saftey margin.

Use the commonly available Mobil 1 5W-20. It's what I use in my Element and I get excellent UOA on 9000 mile oil change intervals. The Honda -01 oil filter is a good choice.

M1 0w-20 and 5w-20 are two great choices as well, forgot to add that.

Just in case you need it, another vote for long mile OC's with synth or at least 5-7k on a group II. I've got 84k on my 02 V with the same 2.4 and it runs like a top.

It really doesn't much matter if she's going to sell it before it has 150,000 miles on it
laugh.gif

We're in PA too and GF now has an older CRV. If you end up selling the Element, send me a PM first. TIA

I think the Pennzoil Ultra is a good choice too. It's readily available and is absolutely designed for long OCIs. From what we've seen it's a very solid oil and should keep that Honda purring for many more years.

Not sure how cold it gets where you are but the 5w20 should be good for year-round usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back