SuperTech 4967 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: yaris0128
If someone could point me in the direction of some Purolators Id be very happy. I have never seen a store in my area sell them. Ive heard Kmart has them, Ill look next time but such a popular quality filter shouldnt be soo hard to find.

Do you have a BI-Mart in your area?

Go to www.pureone.com, and check the stores that carry them.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
If someone could point me in the direction of some Purolators Id be very happy. I have never seen a store in my area sell them. Ive heard Kmart has them, Ill look next time but such a popular quality filter shouldnt be soo hard to find.

Do you have a BI-Mart in your area?

Go to www.pureone.com, and check the stores that carry them.

BI-Mart? Never heard of that but im really laughing about that name.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Pete
Do yourself a favor DO NOT cut open a Purolator or Bosch filter.
It will make you think, OMG why did I use ST in the first place

Here's 2 filters I cut open.... One is a Total Grip (Purolator) and the other is an ST.... They are about the same price. I don't see what the big difference for some one to say "Why did I use and ST" I've been using ST for many different cars now in the last 6 years. E-Core or not. Maybe you can explain what's different about it? To me they have nitrite ADBV, same thickness media (from looks and feel), metal end caps. So what's the difference?

dscn2576g.jpg

st2n.jpg

The media on a P1 is not the same as that ST,by far. I can tell by looking at right here the Purolator is thicker,thicker = better filtration and dirt holding capacity.

i posted a pic of a 3 year old 132hr PL10241 and posted a side pic of the media,check it out it's thick!

Originally Posted By: daman
The media on a P1 is not the same as that ST,by far. I can tell by looking at right here the Purolator is thicker,thicker = better filtration and dirt holding capacity.

i posted a pic of a 3 year old 132hr PL10241 and posted a side pic of the media,check it out it's thick!

I never said anything about the P1. A filter that is twice the price as the ST would not be a fair comparison. This is why I posted the picture of the Total Grip. Look at how close the camara is to the filter, ofcouse it's going to look "thicker" I'm not pro ST and I don't play favorite of any brand of filter. I posted of what I see when I cut them open. I can post the pic of the Fram Xtended Guard which is thicker than the P1, does that make it a better filter? Depends who you ask.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex

I never said anything about the P1. A filter that is twice the price as the ST would not be a fair comparison. This is why I posted the picture of the Total Grip. Look at how close the camara is to the filter, ofcouse it's going to look "thicker" I'm not pro ST and I don't play favorite of any brand of filter. I posted of what I see when I cut them open. I can post the pic of the Fram Xtended Guard which is thicker than the P1, does that make it a better filter? Depends who you ask.

Grab your calipers and measure i bet the "TG" pourolator is thicker and has nothing to do with how close you took the pic.

Grab your calipers and measure i bet the "TG" pourolator is thicker and has nothing to do with how close you took the pic.

Fine, you win, it's 20 times thicker. We can sit here and do this all day. The ST will still get our Pathfinder or Civic to 300,000 + miles. Before anyone gets the idea that I love ST over Purolator. My stash consist of 2 ST and 4 Classic and 4 P1. I still think the ST rank as a great filter for the price.

Yes they can be found @ Advance Auto Parts and at Kmart.

great filters!

For being so good they should be more available. Sort of like FRAM... maybe not.....

Thanks for the help! Picked up a bunch of pureones today at KMart.

Fine, you win, it's 20 times thicker. We can sit here and do this all day. The ST will still get our Pathfinder or Civic to 300,000 + miles. Before anyone gets the idea that I love ST over Purolator. My stash consist of 2 ST and 4 Classic and 4 P1. I still think the ST rank as a great filter for the price.

Calm down just a discussion here..but we obviously have different views on levels of filtration,i shoot for maximum no matter what the OCI mileage is and don't mind running Pricier filters thats my right and you obviously don't mind using lesser quality and that's fine to each is his own.

Yes they can be found @ Advance Auto Parts and at Kmart.

great filters!

For being so good they should be more available. Sort of like FRAM... maybe not.....

Thanks for the help! Picked up a bunch of pureones today at KMart.

Good for you!!

Too bad it took me a long time to find these filters. I hate Kmart but since they exclusively carry puro filters only I will give huge props to Kmart. WalMart really should carry more than low end oil filters, WalMart is the most popular place to buy motor oil these days, so why should we make a second stop for filters? Not a smart move on their part.

Too bad it took me a long time to find these filters. I hate Kmart but since they exclusively carry puro filters only I will give huge props to Kmart. WalMart really should carry more than low end oil filters, WalMart is the most popular place to buy motor oil these days, so why should we make a second stop for filters? Not a smart move on their part.

If you think about it, Most people will buy Fram over any other brand of filter, because they don't care what the inside of the filter looks like. I'm willing to bet that WM probably sells more Fram than K-Marts sell the Purolator filters. If Fram sells more, they are sticking to it.

Fram rents retail space to push competition into a smaller corner. It's all part of the $4.50+ price over the competition of $2.xx-$3.xx filters.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Fram rents retail space to push competition into a smaller corner. It's all part of the $4.50+ price over the competition of $2.xx-$3.xx filters.

Ive never heard that but from what Ive seen at every store, Id believe it.

If you think about it, most people will buy Fram over any other brand of filter, because they don't care what the inside of the filter looks like. I'm willing to bet that WM probably sells more Fram than K-Marts sell the Purolator filters. If Fram sells more, they are sticking to it.

Dont forget how many more people go to WM than Kmart. I go to WM like twice a week. But I go to Kmart maybe once a year. Im sure if WM carried more than FRAM and their own SuperTech they'd make good money and improve their status as a leading automotive retailer. They could sell to the average person and the people who care about whats on the inside of that filter. Win win.

Ive used the Motorcraft FL-400s on many toyotas that take the 4967. Basically, if it will fit without touching anything, I use it! It used to be only about $.50 more at walmart than the supertechs.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Ive used the Motorcraft FL-400s on many toyotas that take the 4967. Basically, if it will fit without touching anything, I use it! It used to be only about $.50 more at walmart than the supertechs.

Is the 3614 size filter OK to use on an 08' Corolla?

PS: In 1987 Consumer Reports magazine rated Fram the best oil filter. Many old timers began (and continue) to buy Fram without knowing that the internals have had cardboard endcaps for years. These people go into WM and think they are buying a high quality filter. I used Fram until coming to this site a few years ago. You live and you learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back