ford escape diff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never changed the rear diff oil in my escape, it has 122k and calls for 75w 140. Do i really need this heavy of an oil? Could i safely run 75w 90 synthetic? i dont really tow anymore.

Pretty sure Ford specs a special 75w140 in the rear diffs of certain F150s and other vehicles for some reason.

The rear differential definitely does not require 75w140. The manual calls for 80w90 GL5 in the rear and 75w140 in the transfer unit for automatics and 80w90 if its a manual.

So to answer your question 75w90 synthetic will be ok.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JRed
Pretty sure Ford specs a special 75w140 in the rear diffs of certain F150s and other vehicles for some reason.

+1.

I use Supertech 75w-140 in the rear diff in my F150. 3 quarts runs around $30, but you don't change diff fluid THAT often. The stuff stinks to high [censored], btw.

If you have limited slip, find out if you need to add friction modifier along with the diff fluid.

My Father's E-150 has 162K miles and its diff has never been touched. The van has never towed anything though.

one would think the diff in the relatively lightweight escape would be fine with a 90 weight. Is this the rear for an AWD or is it a front unit that uses separate fluid from the transmission?

one would think the diff in the relatively lightweight escape would be fine with a 90 weight. Is this the rear for an AWD or is it a front unit that uses separate fluid from the transmission?

it does spec 90w for the rear , i read the manual wrong. The 140wt is for the transfer case. ( rear diff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back