2002 Acura tl 3.2L what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car have 171,000 miles on the motor n no cel . Will we did went from 5w20 to 5w30 grade but we thought is might stop burning oil but never did. We been using 5w20 mobil one EP oil to 5w30 mobil one EP oil. I think oil burn a quart in 5,000 miles.

It they better oil that I can put that stop burning oil? I drive car on hwy 85% n city 15%
I drive 100 miles per day total.

Does engine burn oil when's age get older?

Sorry for my bad English.

Originally Posted By: Mustang Man
Are you sure it is not leaking?

It not leaking I put some paper on the floor for night n is show no sysmbol at all.

I have 5w30 or 10w30 of pp oil left over will u think I can add it to mobil one ep oil? Cuz I need to add a quart oil that y I was thinking maybe pp oil.

try a different oil, Mobil 1 has a tendency to burn off in certain brands/vehicles.

If that were my vehicle, i would use Valvoline Maxlife syntec blend or full synthetic

Does it ever smoke?

I wouldn't be terribly worried about burning a quart in 5000 miles. I would't spend the extra for M1 EP, I'd run any conventional for 5000 miles adding the quart in there somewhere.

You can try Maxlife or another long life oil, or a thicker oil, but I don't find it likely it will help.

Timing belt has been replaced at some point I hope?

No it don't smoke.

but can I add 5w30 PP oil in to mobli one crank until I get an oil change?

What grade should I used next time? 10w30 is good for summer correct cuz I'm using 5w30.

Timing belt has been change at 120,000 miles ago but my next timing belt due at 220,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Does it ever smoke?

I wouldn't be terribly worried about burning a quart in 5000 miles. I would't spend the extra for M1 EP, I'd run any conventional for 5000 miles adding the quart in there somewhere.

You can try Maxlife or another long life oil, or a thicker oil, but I don't find it likely it will help.

Timing belt has been replaced at some point I hope?

I have a 2001 model only a few miles behind you. The car should not have been run on 5 w 20. I would absolutely check the PCV valve. As far as oils go, I have had good luck with M1 5w30 and okay luck with Maxlife.

If the car has had an uneventful life, and has had regular oil changes, your situation should improve, but would also note that a quart ever 5K is totally within spec.

So what oil n weight can I used next time? We alway used mobil one but I would happy to try PP,PU, or Maxlife oil.

My '02 TL has only 64K Km or 45k miles +/-. (I dont drive it in the winter..) therefore I cant really comment on oil consumption for your kind of mileage.
However, I can tell you that M1 burns off a little faster than PP, RP burns off also.
J

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
A quart in 5k is nothing for consumption - find somethiong else to worry about!

:p

I agree! Go and change the tranny fluid instead.

Regardless, I don't think the use of M1 EP is necessary at the OCIs being used. At that mileage (every 5k as I understand it), a solid high mileage type oil would both: 1) be cheaper than M1 EP, and 2) theoretically consume less.

I think any of the high mileage vehicle oils in 5W-30 woild be completely appropriate here. Oils like Valvoline MaxLife, Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle, Castrol GTX High Mileage, etc.

Shoot, I'd even try the Mobil 1 High Mileage before running another change of M1 EP. And to the question posed, can one add a quart or two of Pennzoil (or any other oil) to the crankcase with M1 EP in it. Yes, absolutely.

We have 3 Acuras, all bought new and I have been monitoring oil use since day one. My 2001 TL has 148k. Never burned a single drop of oil. I have used all different oils from dino gtx to Amsoil SSO. On the other hand our RSX burns one quart ever 5k and TSX about 1/2 quart ever 5k. Best Luck I have had in those cars is Royal Purple and It did not burn.

Also have you cleaned the EGR port on the TL?

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
I have a 2001 model only a few miles behind you. The car should not have been run on 5 w 20. I would absolutely check the PCV valve. As far as oils go, I have had good luck with M1 5w30 and okay luck with Maxlife.

If the car has had an uneventful life, and has had regular oil changes, your situation should improve, but would also note that a quart ever 5K is totally within spec.

Huh? Honda / Acura recommends 5w20 for that engine. It's on the oil cap itself.

OP, I would use a different oil as I have used M1 in many cars, and it has a tendency to disappear in some. When I switched to Penzoil Plat, it stopped that.

Originally Posted By: G35_TX
Originally Posted By: TomYoung

Huh? Honda / Acura recommends 5w20 for that engine. It's on the oil cap itself.

OP, I would use a different oil as I have used M1 in many cars, and it has a tendency to disappear in some. When I switched to Penzoil Plat, it stopped that.

Just to be perfectly clear, the oil cap and the mfr's reco on a 2001 TL is 5W 30. End of discussion.

Burning a qt every 5,000 is normal for that engine at those miles. No need to go heavier than 5w-30. Just top up the oil every 2,500. You can get a 5 qt. jug of M1 EP 5-30 at WM for $28.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back