best oil for 2011 Mustang 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seriously contemplating purchasing a 2011 Mustang GT and one of the main reasons is the new 5.0 liter engine. For those not familiar, it's a 7,000 rpm, 412 hp motor that is a real gem according to most sources.
Here's a very in depth article about it.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techart...gine/index.html

My question is, what oil would you use? The sump holds 8 qts. by the way.
Ford specs 5w20 but I would have a very hard time using a 5w20 in this engine. I'm old school when it comes to thicker oils, particularly in high performance engines. The only 5w20 I'd feel comfortable using would be Redline.
But what about 5w30, 10w30 or maybe GC? What would you use? the car would be driven fairly hard and engine longevity is my main concern.

I would use exactly what the MFG recommends. I doubt the if the proper rated oil is used the choice won't make a dimes worth of difference. You will end up in jail before you can hold W.O.T. long enough to get the oil real hot. That car has power a plenty. As much as I hate ohc engines the Fords last and last. Especially with warranty.

Use a HTHS 5w20 and your engine will be fine!
thumbsup2.gif

Redline or RLI offers this.

At the most I would use is a 5w30 in that engine because Ford has really done their homework with the 5w20 spec and highly advises against using anything else.

Also isn't there something about the new 5.0 having problems with the engine block flexing, I think I read that in another thread somewhere, I could be mistaken but check with the FORD guys on here.

My .02

Ferrari in 2010 uses Penzoil European 5W-40 Synthetic

Most European companies..BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Lamborghini/Lotus/Porche'/VW.. all are using a 5W-40 or 0W-40 Synthetic oil.

In Japan.. Honda and Acura use a 0W-40 but in the USA due to politics... recommend a 5W-20...not that it bad...but i wonder?

The Penzoil oil selector at it's site says to use 5W-20 Synthetic in the 4.6L Mustang GT and they as of yet do not show the 5.0 L engine's recommendation.

The Penzoil oil selector says to use 5W-50 synthetic in the Shelby engines.

My conclusion and suggestion is to go with German Castrol 0W-30 from AutoZone with a Motorcraft Oil Filter or to use a real good synthetic 5W-40 or 0W-40 which can be had from Mobil/Amsoil/Royal Purple/Redline/Penzoil/Valvoline...etc.

I would do a change after 2,000 miles of break-break-in and personally probably would go with Redline 5W-40 and a Motorcraft filter and 4,000 mile oil changes.

Last edited:
Perhaps they are using different clearances in different countries based on oil availability and emission / fuel economy requirements/standards?

Just a thought that maybe the engines aren't the same here and overseas like not all countries require Catalytic converters?

Use whats in your manual... Your manufacturer knows the engine best and have a name to protect!
thumbsup2.gif

wink.gif

I'm probally older school than you. I finally learned to trust Ford with their choice of 5-20. Just pick a good one and relax.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
My .02

Ferrari in 2010 uses Penzoil European 5W-40 Synthetic

Most European companies..BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Lamborghini/Lotus/Porche'/VW.. all are using a 5W-40 or 0W-40 Synthetic oil.

The Penzoil oil selector says to use 5W-50 synthetic in the Shelby engines

I would do a change after 2,000 miles of break-break-in and personally probably would go with Redline 5W-40 and a Motorcraft filter and 4,000 mile oil changes.
In the 70s Ferrari used 20w-50
5W-50 sucks
I could agree on the sooner oil change but there is 8 qts
This is a modern feul injected computer controlled engine Redline at 4,000 mile oil change intervals is just throwing $$$ away.

Go with a good 5W-20. Motorcraft Blend 5W-20, PP 5W-20, or Edge 5W-20 would be my picks. Ford has been using 5W-20 for years, have no fear they know what they are doing.

Not that it's a high performance engine but my dad's Ford Windstar has over 320K KM's (192K+ Miles) with nothing but 5w20 dino oil and it's fine. No leaks or burning and it passes the emission test which means the engine is in great shape mechanically.
wink.gif

I would bet the engine will fail from non oil related abuse or you will sell the car 'cause you lost your license before the recommended oil will cause any bad to happen. I know the EPA is the reasom for the 20wt but there seems to be no problems that is showing up on the the forums and lots of 20 wt is being used. Again warranty.

8 quarts should last for at least a 7500 mile OCI. I would run the factory fill for the first 5K miles then go with any good 5W20 synthetic for 7500 mile changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Not that it's a high performance engine but my dad's Ford Windstar has over 320K KM's (192K+ Miles) with nothing but 5w20 dino oil and it's fine. No leaks or burning and it passes the emission test which means the engine is in great shape mechanically.
wink.gif

Which 5-20 does he use?

He is using 5w20 Quaker State, Canadian Tire Brand (Motomaster), Auto-Lab, Pennzoil. Whatever he can find on-sale when it needs a change with a Motorcraft filter usually because we don't have "Ford" filters in our stash of leftovers from when he had his service station that he sold.

The previous owner (Neighbour) that gave him the van used exclusively Motorcraft 5w20 because he worked part time at a Ford Dealership at the time and owned the van from 40K KM's before that it was also Motorcraft because it was owned by a Dealership Employee.

The engine has piston-knock on one cylinder when cold but otherwise it's fine. The piston knock is just wear/tear and none of the other cylinders have this problem so most likely it was a defect that just showed up after time or it's the fact that the neighbour didn't change the oil as often as required but often enough to keep the engine from seizing up or it could be because he towed a boat, or just be because it has the miles it does... Who knows... My dad just uses it to take stuff to the dump or when he has to pick up something large/long.

Last edited:
The engine will live a long time on 5W-20 like others have said. You may get slightly better wear protection with a 5W-30, but it's hard to recommend that without knowing how clearances compare to previous Modulars.

Get an external oil cooler then you really won't have to worry any run of the mill 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back