Planning very special oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
"switch to GC for our Southern Manitoba winters"

GC? Southern Manitoba? Get thee some Esso XD-3 0W-30!

Doing a sample on the blow out oil would be like doing an a sample on the oil left in an oil filter. Terry Dyson sez that oil samples from an oil filter are useless. Maybe you could contact him about getting his analysis. He might even tell you to go back to a midstream sample.

Exactly how to you do this air blow out?

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
Terry Dyson sez that oil samples from an oil filter are useless. Maybe you could contact him about getting his analysis. He might even tell you to go back to a midstream sample.

Exactly how to you do this air blow out?

I will contact him, and as for the blowing, here is what BG has to say:
http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html
see "BG PF12
Power Flush & Prime for Engine Oil Systems"
Hey I just noticed this oil they have, BG Hi-L0W30 High Performance Engine Oil: "flows immediately to lubricate vital engine components, even at temperatures as low as 50 degrees below zero. It is an excellent product for arctic conditions. Provides long drain life of 15,000 miles." But I will have a look at that Esso stuff; THANKS!!
Rob

uh-uh!

Ya Think?
lol.gif

And you're going to do this experiment and give us back the results? And you're doing it with your own car? Is this like the Star Trek mandate, go forth boldly and seek out new worlds. This is the kind of stuff of which heros are made, a certain death mission with no safety net.
patriot.gif

The direction to take samples mid stream is just standard technique for most types of samples. You don't want the initial bit of fluid because it could include contaminants from the nozzle. you don't want the end bit of fluid because it could contain sediment. You want the mid stream because it is the most representative of the fluid in the system.

Same goes for water samples, oil samples, even urine samples.
grin.gif

Some comments could lead me to some negative thinking and negative replies. Then I thought what an honour (
canada.gif
spelling) this is: I am too oil-nutty for some members of BITOG, which is where hardcore oil nuts post things about oil. I had oil that was in there for under an hour, NOT MY IDEA. But I am not the only one; I recall a thread about 'what was your shortest OCI.'
I have been in touch with 3 labs and what tests I choose to do, I will decide and (probably) post here.
I showed the dipstick to a buddy that is an ex-mechanic and he said "this oil has no more than 120 KM on it" ...anyone have such an ability, or know someone that does? Yikes that is downright spooky. He also said I had gunky valves. there WAS Auto-RX treatment done on the engine and I now am using LC, higher than what LC posts but what others like Terry Dysan (I've been in touch with him, too) suggest as a max sage use of LC. I doubt I'll be adding every 500-1000 miles though, I usually forget & procrastinate.
Have a great weekend
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back