Motorcraft Synblend to Full Synthetic Benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Ford Fusion 3.0 Duratech V-6 with 39xxx miles. I have been doing 4,000 OCI on Motorcraft Synblend 5w20.I have had the car since 24xxx miles as it was an ex-rental. I took advantage of the AAP $1.95 per Quart Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w20 on closeout. No issues with the blend, I just wondered if the full synthetic would clean out any sludge/varnish. Are there any other benefits from switching at this point? Should there be an increase in consumption? The current oil never is low on the dipstick for 4,000 OCI.
Thanks

If you have sludgey goo then a full synthetic will help remove them. If your engine is already very clean then there wouldn't be much to clean up. Of course engine oil is designed to suspend contaminants.

Check your manual, it may suggest 7500 miles on syn blend Motorcraft. The full syn should be able to do that 7500 miles with ease. You could see a slight increase in fuel economy with the synthetic. You shouldn't see an increase in oil consumption.

4k mile OCI, you wont see any benefit. Both the blend and full synth are quality oils, but the benefit of the full syn comes from being able to run it for longer. In fact I'd be comfortable running the blend for longer than 4k miles, but do what makes you comfortable (or what you need to do to maintain the warranty).

Either way $1.95 is a great price.

Yes I am under warranty but the manual says 5,000/7500 severe/normal service. I'm still old school on the interval. work is within 3 miles so oil never gets warmed up. The 1.95/quart is less than the blend in the 5 quart jug at about $2.40 Quart so I figured I would stay with Motorcraft this cheap.FWIW I see no buildup when looking at the Oil Fill Cap by the Timing Chain

Originally Posted By: sicko
4k mile OCI, you wont see any benefit. Both the blend and full synth are quality oils, but the benefit of the full syn comes from being able to run it for longer. In fact I'd be comfortable running the blend for longer than 4k miles, but do what makes you comfortable (or what you need to do to maintain the warranty).

Either way $1.95 is a great price.

+1

You should be able to go 5000 OCI on the blend... and at least 7500 on the full-syn....You didn't mention a filter. Motorcraft has good filters, but if you go for the Syn, I would go for a Purolator PureOne (just a couple bucks more than a Motorcraft)

Last edited:
Ive always used the Motorcraft FL820S Filter. I Buy them for $3.67. This filter is also recommended for my other vehicle. I was able to get 19 Quarts for this great price. One store quoted as having quite a few quarts of this in stock, but when I arrived they only had the blend.

The way I look at it is the full synthetic is probably Group III and while that has advantage like leaving less deposits in the first place I don't think the base oil will cause more direct cleaning itself. But the additive package it uses might. So for instance a conventional oil like HDEO might clean better than some synthetic blends and maybe as well as some full synthetics.

After finding out that a lot of syn blends have as little as 3% synthetic and who knows if the rest is Group II+ or not, most of them seem as marketing hype. Motorcraft syn-blend is probably all right for the price, but I think it is about worth its price. It's probably not any better base oil than the major non synblends like QSGB, PYB and MC5000.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
Ive always used the Motorcraft FL820S Filter. I Buy them for $3.67. This filter is also recommended for my other vehicle. I was able to get 19 Quarts for this great price. One store quoted as having quite a few quarts of this in stock, but when I arrived they only had the blend.

If you are able to find another store with Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic in stock;
Consider combining your purchase with the $10 off Advance Auto Parts coupon for spending at least $25. The one I found expires on 7/31/2010. Buying 13 quarts with coupon gets you close to paying $1.50 /quart.

I live in a rural area but was going to the "Big City" and searched the online inventories followed by calling the remaining stores. Not sure how much the dealer sells at I'm guessing $6-7/Quart. The closest store is about 120 miles and I bought all the remaining Full Synthetic oil. I wonder if this full synthetic is similar to P. Platinum.

I live in a rural area but was going to the "Big City" and searched the online inventories followed by calling the remaining stores. Not sure how much the dealer sells at I'm guessing $6-7/Quart. The closest store is about 120 miles and I bought all the remaining Full Synthetic oil. I wonder if this full synthetic is similar to P. Platinum.

The Ford dealer by me sells the Full Synthetic for 7 bucks a quart...I have yet to find one store in Miami Dade or Broward County that sells Motorcraft 5w20 Full Synthetic.

I understand that. My only local options are the Local Ford Dealer, Oreilly's, Wal-Mart, and one independent (Napa) that I doubt will sell Motorcraft due to low demand for it.

Last edited:
Arcographite,
Could you please explain why the cheaper oil would have a better basestock.
Thanks

Last edited:
I think he meant to say the MC Synthetic is a higher percentage of GIII Base stock.

The Synthetic should run a little longer and produce a little less in the way of high temp deposits.

Ok,
That makes sense. I wonder if the motorcraft will have to be reformulated to make the new 5 spec

Arcographite,
Thanks
I meant that the "full synthetic" would be majority group III which is NOT a synthetic base stock by classic definition. The Syn blend should have 20-30% group iV and /or V. mixed in a good group II base. Which one is better for wear and longevity? Only extensive UOA and teardowns could tell you. I would safely assume the labeled "full syn" would have a premium add pack and better TBN retention for 7500+ long drains - this does not necessarily equate to less wear.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Arcographite,
Thanks
I meant that the "full synthetic" would be majority group III which is NOT a synthetic base stock by classic definition. The Syn blend should have 20-30% group iV and /or V. mixed in a good group II base. Which one is better for wear and longevity? Only extensive UOA and teardowns could tell you. I would safely assume the labeled "full syn" would have a premium add pack and better TBN retention for 7500+ long drains - this does not necessarily equate to less wear.

Actually MC is a group II/III blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back