Does a 1990 F150 V8 5.0 have 2 oil drain plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be changing the oil on a 1990 Ford F150 with the 302 (5.0), I thought I've heard in the past that the 5.0 has two oil drain plugs, is that true or is that just the mustang 5.0? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Buick92
I will be changing the oil on a 1990 Ford F150 with the 302 (5.0), I thought I've heard in the past that the 5.0 has two oil drain plugs, is that true or is that just the mustang 5.0? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It just might. I can't say for sure about the truck, but the 1990 Town Cars with the 5.0 had two drain plugs as well.

My 1990 F150 with the 5.0l 302 only had one.
The 1994 F150 and 1995 F150 (both had 351) had only one.

Bill

Just some general questions in regard to these trucks are there any weak points? The one I will be getting has the manual hubs, about 100,000 miles, auto, XLT. Is the oil filter hard to get too? This one has the 4 speed auto.

AOD is not my favorite trans from a reliability standpoint. Make double sure that the TV linkage has the new bronze bushing installed vs the older snap in plastic setup. That will save your overdrive. Overall, one of the better powertrains. Depending on the build date, you might have Fords wonderful electric transfer case to contend with.

Originally Posted By: Buick92
Just some general questions in regard to these trucks are there any weak points? The one I will be getting has the manual hubs, about 100,000 miles, auto, XLT. Is the oil filter hard to get too? This one has the 4 speed auto.
The manual hubs are definitely better than the auto ones. The biggest trouble spot that I know of is the dual fuel tanks. Make sure that it runs well from both tanks. It's also not uncommon to have one tank return into the other but I'm not sure how you'd check that on just a test drive as it takes a while to notice.

fordfuelinjection.com will show you how to run self-tests on the OBD1 system with or without a reader. I'd definitely do that on any Ford I was checking.

It's a free truck from a relative, the catch is I have to drive it 500 miles back home, but the price is right I guess you could say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back