How to clean fuel sending unit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone,

A while back there was a thread on here about cleaning the fuel tank sending unit. I looked for a while and now can't find it.

Here is my problem: Mrs Milkman's 95 Chevy Lumina fuel guage seems to be "sticking" at times. My plan was to put a bottle of Techron concentrate in at the next fill up (completely filling the tank) and let the car sit for 4 days while she is on vacation. (without me, but that is so another story) I also had plans to gently rock the car back and forth while it sat.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The Techron will do nothing, so don't waste your time. You could lower the tank and check the connections at the pump, but that is unlikely. Time for a trip to a auto-wrecker or check Craigslist/eBay for a used one.

Not to argue with the above post but I believe there is a TSB out there somewhere about sticking or erratic GM fuel gauge sending units. GM actually recommends the use of Techron Concentrate fuel system cleaner to fix the problem. I think they recommend 2 treatments in succession. You might try the Techron or maybe search for the TSB. Techron concentrate is the one to use, not Techron fuel injector cleaner, and I believe it is BOGO at Autozone right now. I would try that first since it is much cheaper than a trip to the dealer or mechanic.

Chevrolet has posted a TSB for inaccurated fuel gauge problems due to sulfur contamination of the resistor board in the fuel sender unit itself (basically the 'float' assembly in the gas tank, attached to the fuel pump assembly).

Their repair is to replace the unit, which is very pricey and hard to do (removal of the gas tank is necessary).

One thing you can try that is inexpensive and might repair the problem is to go purchase a couple of bottles of "Chevron Techron" fuel additive at your local parts store. This is very effective at dissolving this sulfur build-up, and might clean it up so replacement won't be necessary. I would run at least three tankfuls with this additive before making your judgment (just follow the instructions on the bottle).

Sulfur is a byproduct of the gasoline manufacturing process, and higher quality brands do better jobs at filtering this out of the fuel than cheaper, less known brads of fuel, so stick with a high-quality well known filling station that meets low-sulfur standards.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/15uy...n#ixzz0rm8j3Wj8

Thanks for the help. I will try the Techron. This car is on "its last legs" so I am not gonna drop the tank. I hope it lasts about another 10 months or so...

I would doubt a tank of 100% Techron will fix your gauge, but You can try it if you want. Taking the tank out is not that hard if you have a floor jack to work with. If the car is on its last legs, just keep the tank full, and keep a mileage log book in the glove box, so you have an idea how much gas is left.

A tank drop or a log book is too much hassle. Learn your MPG and use the trip odometer as the gas gauge. This solution costs no money and has the added benefit that you'll keep track of your MPG which everyone should be doing anyways.

Milkman,
Did the gauge ever flicker? I have an 01 buick century which is probably similar and the I never noticed my gauge sticking. Mine would flicker on startup usually but would usually go away. I bought the car in feb. and it started doing it a few months after that. I have been using MMO for awhile now and the gauge has been working good for the last few months, not sure if the MMO is connected to fixing the problem though.

I would go along with everyone else and recommend techron, if nothing else it will clean up the injectors and other stuff. Post back the results after 2 or 3 tanks and let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back