4-stroke motorcycle oil in my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shopping around for local distributors of Motul 300V engine oil (5w40) and there's a version called "Factory Line" that's for 4-stroke motorcycle motors. Several shops keep it in stock.

Is this stuff safe for my passenger car engine? For that matter, is any 4-stroke motorcycle oil safe?

Sure, it's just an over-priced option usually.

You can get many other 5W-40's much cheaper, like Rotella T-6, M1 TDT, I'd even bet Redline 5W-40 is cheaper (if you want esters in the oil).

A motorcycle shop on Amazon has it on sale as well, and has free shipping so it's suddenly a very attractive option. Moreso because they have the 4L jugs and I need 10L worth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Sure, it's just an over-priced option usually.

You can get many other 5W-40's much cheaper, like Rotella T-6, M1 TDT, I'd even bet Redline 5W-40 is cheaper (if you want esters in the oil).

Normally, this is the correct answer.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I would work but would cost way too much.

Agree.

(to the O.P.)
You can run motorcycle oil in an automotive engine, but why bother. I don't think it is good for the smog cat converters in the long run.

Motorcycle oil does not have the friction modifiers that are in automotive 5W, and 0W oils. Oils with friction modifiers say "energy conserving" on the API star. Friction modifiers are not suppose to be good for wet clutches.

I think most motorcycle oils are equal to SG auto oils.

That's fine, I don't plan to leave it in for more than 5000 anyways.

Stumbled across a page on Mobil's website explaining the differences:

Motorcycle oils and passenger car oils are very similar, with the exception of a couple of areas that are key to motorcycle operation. The first area concerns common sumps, or the use of motor oil, to lubricate and cool the transmission. As you know, in a passenger car the transmission is lubricated by an ATF fluid, which has frictional properties required for transmission operation. In a motorcycle, where the transmission may be lubricated by the engine oil, an engine oil that does not have the same level of friction modification (for fuel economy) of a typical passenger car engine oil will provide better transmission performance in terms of transmission lock-up and slippage. So motorcycle engine oil does not contain the friction modifiers of a passenger car engine oil. The second area of concern for motorcycle engine oils is that they tend to shear (breakdown viscosity) more quickly than a typical passenger car. Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are designed to provide exceptional protection against viscosity loss.

So yes, they are not designed for longer OCIs.

As for the friction modification thing, I'm not terribly concerned with gas mileage. This V8 is getting in the mid-teens around town and barely hits 20mpg on the freeway.

Okay, now I suddenly AM nervous.

directly from Motul http://www.motul.fr/uk/conseils/faq/reponses.html

Oil for bikes/ Oil for cars. What is the difference ?
Most of 4 stroke bike gearboxes use engine oil as a lube. To reduce wear and increase gearbox life, we include gear additives into bike 4 stroke engine oils. And the oil must not perturb clutch efficiency.
For bike oils, the JASO (Japanese manufacturer association) is very concerned by the clutch sliding problem so they issued some requirements and standards. Motul 5100 and 3000 oils for 4 stroke engine bikes are JASO MA approved. To complete that, Motul performed the JASO T904 tests on 300V's to be sure that 300V's work properly without any clutch problem. On the other hand, for cars, there is no gearbox or clutch problem therefore we can use for example friction modifier additives to reduce friction into the engine. This will provide power output improvement. For bikes we strongly recommend to use bike oils and for cars, we strongly recommend to use car oils.

What is the difference between 4T engine oils for cars and 4T oils for motorcycles?
The main difference between the two vehicles is that the majority of four-stroke motorcycle gearboxes are lubricated by the engine oil. In order to reduce pinion wear and increase the life of the gearbox, MOTUL incorporates 'Extreme Pressure' additives to motorcycle 4T oils.

However, the factory data sheet for what I put in reads:

"Race bikes fitted with high performance 4 stroke engines, integrated gearbox or not, wet or dry clutch, race engines running over a wide range of temperatures and RPM. Other uses: street bikes, scooters, ATV, mopes fitted with catalytic converters."

The statement above still leads me to believe it's safe. It's designed to work in motors that do not use a common-sump for the tranny and engine, and the friction modifiers should assist in engine operation anyways. Bikes are very hard on oil so this should be MORE than adequate for my car.

Right?

Last edited:
Sure you are fine, to look at it conversely rotella Tx oils are all JASO MA approved now I believe. I know the T6 and T5 are.

I'm sure you are fine.

But if it were me laying out the coin for Motul product, I would certainly want ALL of that great add pack in the Competition (car) formula, which is absent in the 4T brew.
wink.gif

If the oil can protect a 12000 rpm sport-bike engine (with cats), it's certainly up to the task of protecting a passenger car engine. I wouldn't worry at all.

Raising this one from the dead....but... Any update or more info on this topic? For example - would a B&S lawnmower be safe running motorcycle oil?

Here is the reason why I am asking...
I use QuikSilver 25w-40 (Marine Oil) in my riding mower, and other OPE. I change it every 30 hours or so. Pouring in the 48oz. of 25w-40 look nice and viscous in "tank top weather" temps. But pouring out during an oil change this oil flows like water, and is darker than a cloudy night... So would a motorcycle oil be more up to the task? Or should I simply reduce my OCI? I am not considering doing a UOA on a riding mower that I got for $20 on craigslist. Just wondering if my results stand out, or if this is normal for OPE.

Thank you in advance.

Motorcycle oils from Mobil and Castrol tend to be slightly cheaper than car oils here. Nothing fancy, usually labelled SG, typically 15W40 or 20W40.

Since my car doesn't have a catalytic converter I assume I could use it, and may do eventually, though if I get friction modifiers for only a little more (dunno if I do) then I may as well do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back