smoke from the oil fill hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an oil change in the 3.5L v6 2005 malibu last night. I drove the car around for about 10 minutes to warm up the oil and get things stirred up, then pulled into the garage and started collecting tools and things. When I opened the oil fill cap, I got a flashlight so I could peek inside. While shining the flashlight on the hole, I noticed a very light white smoke, or maybe steam, coming out of the oil fill hole. I have never noticed this before in my vast experience of 7 oil changes. Is this normal, or is it possibly a symptom of something I should be looking out for? I am still a new at DIY car maintenance, so I don't really know.

The car had been driven a few hours before, and when I turned it on, the temperature gauge was almost at operating temp. After the drive, the temp gauge was at operating temp. When I stopped in the garage, the radiator fans clicked on, so the engine was nice and warm. (I also noticed that is was nice and warm when the oil filter released a nice splash of oil onto my hand. Nitrile gloves saved me some pain.)

The oil in there was valvoline maxlife, and when drained, it was dark, but did not look abnormal. Thanks

Normal. It's likely oil mist. All of our GM pushrod V=6s have this, and while looking at one of them through the fill hole with the engine running, oil sprays every where from the pushrod oil holes.

Last edited:
This can be very normal.
But there is always a SLIGHT chance of something being really wrong.
That would be coolant in the oil.
So keep an eye on your levels. They probably are OK, but since you have a concern, note any coolant level changes .

Can be normal, can be p.c.v, can be back pressure caused by bad piston rings but higly unlikely unless you have high milage on unit.

my firebird with the 3.1 v6 has done it as long as i can remember,evey time when i take the oil cap off i can see white steam coming from the oil fill hole. the coolant level stays pretty much the same,i add about half a quart of coolant to the reservoir bottle once a year.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
All of our GM pushrod V=6s have this

Change that to "all piston engines have this."

Its normal crankcase vapors- blow-by from combustion that gets past the piston rings. Its what the PCV system is there to suck up and dispose of.

You didn't use M1 oil did you? Might be Iron trying to escape...
lol.gif

J/K... You are good!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back