My New Ride!! BMW R1200GS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Added this to the stable a couple weeks ago:
RonsR1200GS1.jpg

It's quite the bike. I rode a 2010 version at the local (State College, PA) dealer's "Demo Day" about three weeks ago, and was lusting mightily for its DOHC radial valve engine after reading a couple road tests, but they only had an '09 model in stock.

They REALLY wanted to move it, so I got a pretty amazing deal on it ($16,400 OTD with about every option available, plus an Akropovic pipe). It has electronically adjustable suspension, onboard computer (avg speed; fuel mileage; mileage available till empty; ambient temperature), ABS, heated grips, handguards, and probably some other stuff I forgot.

It's the first BMW I've ever owned, and I'm quite impressed with the attention to detail, fit/finish, etc... I was not that impressed by the vibration - I figured its opposed cylinder layout would cancel that out, but the guys at the forums tell me it's common.
21.gif
It's not horrible, but it IS more noticeable than I was expecting. Having ridden, primarily, inline fours for the past 30+ years, I'm used to silky-smooth. Getting soft, I guess...
blush.gif

I also have a 1000cc Suzuki V-Strom, which is a similar "adventure tourer", and find an interesting contrast between the two. The V-Strom is a rock, the R1200 is a rock in a velvet glove!!
thumbsup2.gif

Nice bike, I wanted to add one of these to the stable for quite some time. If I do I will probably cheap out and get the 800GS.

Quote:
Can you post a picture of the instrument panel/OBC?

I'll see what I can come up with, Pete!!

Quote:
If I do I will probably cheap out and get the 800GS.

Like this?
F800GS.jpg

That was the loaner they gave me when I took the R1200 in for its 600 mile checkup!! If you do get one, I'd strongly recommend you NOT add the skidplate!! You can't really see it from this pic, but with both pipes exiting on the right side, the skidplate blocks off the lower 1/3 of the pipes, forcing all the heat up/onto your right leg. I really thought I'd be having roast calf (and I don't mean veal!!) for supper after the 2 hr ride home from the dealer. It was HOT!!!

I actually did a Rube Goldberg'ish heat shield arrangement for the ride back - wrapped my leg from the knee down with an elastic wrap, put on a layer of aluminum foil, and another layer of elastic wrap to hold it in place. I even stuck a piece of duct tape on to help hold the wrap together. Seriously!! The guys at the dealership got quite a chuckle, but I sure wasn't grinning.

OTOH - I have yet to hear of any heat issues from the F800 guys at ADVrider or anyone else, even with a skidplate in place. Maybe it was just me...
54.gif

All that aside, the thing ran amazingly well. It felt more like a 250 dirt bike than an 800. It has around 80 HP, and was lacking nothing dragging my lardy (260#) butt around!!

Last edited:
Is it just me or does the 2nd passenger seat and luggage look like an afterthought?

It's anything but handsome.

I was going to post a pic of a bike I had in the 70s here but thought it should be in the photos section instead.

Originally Posted By: Lurch

BMW's have not (until recently) ever been known as handsome. They are however, like Flo the waitress, Kind of sassy, smacking her gum, a little too overdone, but given an opportunity, will give you the best time of your life. I have not found a better bike than my BMW R1100RT, and wish I had never sold it.

Congrats! It sure looks its own.
I have been looking BMW since recently sold my Honda 919 (4-inline) but have not been able to make up my mind. Interestingly I also been looking at the Vstorms.

Should be a good bike for those Pennsylvania forest roads. Or riding around the world, whatever. What a pretty party of the country you are in! Not far from the state highpoint, I believe.

Quote:
Is it just me or does the 2nd passenger seat and luggage look like an afterthought?

BMW makes a luggage rack thingy that goes on in place of the rear seat. The bike is figured, I guess, for round the world travelers who need lotsa' luggage, not necessarily for passengers. I have hauled at least one babe who said the seat was quite comfy, compared to the one on the V-Strom, anyway..
21.gif

The luggage container in that pic is from the 'Strom, on there for the initial trip home from the dealer. It's since been replaced by this neat one from Axio which complements the bike's colors perfectly. Little brother thought it was OEM!!

Quote:
What a pretty party of the country you are in! Not far from the state highpoint, I believe.

Correct, the high point, Negro Mtn. is in southern Somerset County. I'm actually in the northeast corner of the county, in the same mountain (well, if 2,900' could be called a 'mountain') range, right about here.

And, finally, some pics of the OBC, as promised, Pete
thumbsup2.gif

Here's the clock:
R1200-OBC-Clock.jpg

And the one showing avg speed:
R1200-OBC-Speed.jpg

I didn't want to tie up all the bandwidth showing each of its functions.. While running through the program for the pics, I noticed the OBC also has an oil level display, too.

I think it's fantastic. The fact it's "different" is a lot of the appeal to me. I've always wanted one. If you care to follow, a fellow IBA member is currently riding his 2008 R1200GSA on a 12,800 mile ride including the "Ultimate coast to coast challenge", Key West to Pruhdoe Bay, AK. 300-400 miles of dirt road N. of Fairbanks up north of the arctic circle to Pruhdoe Bay. Perfect morcycle for that. Follow Tim's ride here if you have time.
http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=203219

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Originally Posted By: Lurch

BMW's have not (until recently) ever been known as handsome. They are however, like Flo the waitress, Kind of sassy, smacking her gum, a little too overdone, but given an opportunity, will give you the best time of your life. I have not found a better bike than my BMW R1100RT, and wish I had never sold it.

Yeah, I'm sure they're very functional, like a crossover vehicle.

I never owned a BMW and probably never will. A poor man's machine like Honda, Suzuki, or Kawasaki are more in my league.

I never dreamed of a bike that displays the oil level on a digital instrument gauge. I have to *do it the hard way* and look at the oil check window on the side of the engine. I once had a bike that I had to park on a level spot on it's center stand and check the oil with it's dipstick.

The instrument cluster on my bike is simple, and I actually like it that way. I prefer analog gauges.

ZR7SGauges.jpg

Congrats! You are gonna love this bike.

I have put nearly 20k on my GS in the two years that I have owned it and about 2500 on the Harley in the same time. What forums are you visiting? ADVrider has a great tech section that is geared to Gs's but most of it applies to all R series boxers. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back