Cavalier Burning Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have a couple questions regarding my Chevy Cavalier 2003. It has around 110K miles and has been burning a lot of oil. I check the oil every time I fill up and it seems to need 2-3 quarts every 1-2 fill-ups. The oil usage seems erratic, some time worse than others. It seems to run fine, getting >30 mpg. Occasionally it feels like its losing power/going to stall, but it hasn't yet. Also I've noticed a few times in the last month theres a large cloud of smoke trailing me as I take of from a stop. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot!

thanks for the response. Can you have a faulty PCV valve and not trigger the check engine light? Thanks

3 quarts every fuel fillup (which would be about a quart every 150 miles) indicates either a major leak or a mechanical failure. Is there clouds of blue smoke coming out the tail pipe?

I've only seen smoke a few times (in last month). However, each time its been a pretty noticeable cloud. So its not a constant smoking.

I'd tend to agree (based on the blue smoke) that you either have bad valve stem seals or worn rings. a compression test and/or leakdown test will validate.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
3 quarts every fuel fillup (which would be about a quart every 150 miles) indicates either a major leak or a mechanical failure. Is there clouds of blue smoke coming out the tail pipe?

I agree. This sounds bad.

so either way, probably not an easy fix? Should I just go with the cheapest oil and keep filling it?

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I'd tend to agree (based on the blue smoke) that you either have bad valve stem seals or worn rings. a compression test and/or leakdown test will validate.

Agreed. The only time I've seen an Ecotec smoke (and I own 3 of em') was when it was about ready to go. These engines put up with a massive amount of abuse.

I'd get it tested to find out for sure.

Originally Posted By: BTC2010
so either way, probably not an easy fix? Should I just go with the cheapest oil and keep filling it?

Depends on you plan to do with it.

Don't have any big plans, just keep on putting oil in until it dies. Unless anyone has any ideas...

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

A compression or leakdown test won't tell you anything about the valve seals or the oil control rings. However, his engine is consuming massive amounts of oil so I'd suspect it's not running as well as he is leading on.

I'm curious, though I don't have my 2000 cavasmear anymore. I had 115,000 miles on it and no oil problems. Body, though....
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back