Wanted: SuperTech 20w50 uoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
craig,
blackstoned is VERY easy to use. they mail you the sample kit for free.

i look at voa's and compare them to uoa's (when i can) to see of the content is in a valid range.
i once sent 2 samples of the same uoa off. 1 to the stoners and 1 to SWI. they were nearly the same. at that point in time.

as with all measurements, if there is not continual validation of the equipment, then all of the data is wrong.

some people nitpick over 5-10 PARTS PER MILLION. when they fail to realize the background scatter can be off by 2-5 to begin with!
bzzzzzzzt FAIL!

i look at my uoa's for a metal that is not in the motor and see what its background scatter is. then use that as a rough basis for the "stoner" factor.

in 2001 i got into doing UOA's for 1 simple reason: i had just bought a YZ250F that spun at 12,500 rpm with pretty small titanium valves. and i wanted to know if they were wearing before they went booom! because when they go boom, it gets spendy. well, it turns out Yamaha proved to be the single industry leader on so many levels with this motor. took the other brands 3 more years before they could come up with horrible designs that somewhat ran (if for only brief periods of time compareably).

to this day, i have had 1 uoa come back with Ti in it. i instantly checked the valves. yep, they were out of spec. pulled the head and they valves were worn out. that uoa may have saved me the cost of all my uoa's combind.

in the end, you have to realize what the $20 or $22.50 is buying you from bstoned.

That is a good approach to account for any +/- deviation from actual.

Most of the oil labs here do the mail out sample kit x 10. I thought that's how most of them worked.

Where was the wear on the valves? Seat faces? Were the clearances ok?

The Suzuki manual states the ti valves have a hardened coating and not to lap them at all with the seats.

the valve lash was close to .000

the valves were worn (ie cupped)

correct, you do not lap coated ti valves. the lapping takes the the coating off.

I wonder if Lead is hard on the coatings. I know lead eats carbon like crazy (i run it all the time in small doses). I've seen an enormous amount lead in your uoa's

I've heard some say they see no benefit with coated valves and lead.

I think lead benfit is better with steel valves, what are you seeing ?

I have read stressed titanium parts can fracture if they are scored with vanadium. For that reason on jet fighters and other military aircraft with titanium air frames they use vandium free tools.

Last edited:
what i have seen is that good fuel, both leaded and non-leaded produce (or i should say leave) no deposits. pump swill is total trash.

there is a pic i need to show you guys. or take a new one.

what is pumps swill?

My FZ750 85 model had concentric steps in the valves (not ti) after 5,000km. They needed lapping and seating again.

pump swill - what they sell you as gasoline at a gas station. in truth, it is the dumping grounds for the oil companies chemicals that "also" pass for fuel.

let me find my pic, you'll see what i mean.

Mailed a 15W40 SuperTech sample last Monday on 6-21 using first class mail, Blackstone has not received it as of 6-28 @ noon. Hope it gets there.

I changed out the Delvac 1300 15/40 wt, in my old Goldwing to st 20/50. No particular reason except, I wanted to see if the shifting would feel better with a heavier wt oil. My experience is when the weather gets hotter, the shifting get cruncher,and not as precise.I try to meet mfgrs required specs with the most cost[read cheap] effective oils . I paid $10.00 for a 5 qt jug at wally world. I'll leave this in until it's polar bear season, then go back to the 15/40 Delvac.

It seems a little better then with the old oil. I'm looking for it to stay that way for at least the next 2500 miles. The bike is 28 years old and has 48k miles on it. I got it used 3 years ago so who knows what oil has been used, or how it was treated.,,

VFR front cam chain tensioners prefer 10w40, They tend to rattle with heavier weights. The front tensioner is way up high in a vertical postion. Harder for oil to reach and lubricate the body.

I'm just running it to clean my clutch bite up after Mobil1hm, superslick stuff, took a few rides to get use to the clutch feel, course I havent run this supertech stuff oil. It was the only thing at walmart I was willing to buy in a 10w40, for a quick dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back