Oil Recomendation, '04 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0 w/ 6200 Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, only 6,200 miles on an '04 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0 I just picked up last week. I guess I can't use my name anymore. Anyways, I've had a hiatus when it comes to the auto industry since I no longer work at Kragen...yes!!! 5 years was enough for me. The last time I was here heavily, many people seemed to like Chevron due to it's nice additive package. Here's what I plan on running; Chevron or Castrol (swaying to Castrol) 5w-30 with a Napa Gold oil filer. BTW, what are peoples thought on the GM oil life system? I'm a bit skeptical and still plan on changing the oil around at the usual 3000 miles since I only do about 8500 miles a year.

Any SM 5W-30 oil will be good in that engine if you want to use dino oil. Perhaps do OCIs of 6 months/5000 miles whatever comes first. AC Delco oil filters are great as well.

A lot of guys like oil with Moly in it. Havoline has a lot in it. MaxLife does as well.

I'd run away from the AC Delco filters. Seems they are made in 18 different plants, and who knows under what quality control.

Wix, Carquest, or Napa would be a better choice.

I'd run Chevron, Havoline or whatever I could find under $2. I wouldn't waste any time worrying about Castrol.

You could do a 1x per year oil change on Synthetic, IF you really keep it under 10k miles.

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
I'd run away from the AC Delco filters. Seems they are made in 18 different plants, and who knows under what quality control.

Wix, Carquest, or Napa would be a better choice.

I'd run Chevron, Havoline or whatever I could find under $2. I wouldn't waste any time worrying about Castrol.
You could do a 1x per year oil change on Synthetic, IF you really keep it under 10k miles.

Thooks, have you ever seen an ac delco filter problem or failure?
I would not go 10k under warranty. i would not go longer than the olm tells you to.
I have a 2002 2500 hd with the 6.0 engine. i use syntec 10-30 because it ticks at idle with the mobil1. but that was with the older thinner m1 sl.
at any rate castrol is not a waste. true thier oils maybe a little over priced, but good oil with a fairly large fan base.

I just used Havoline 10W-30 for my last change on my '04 Chevy 1500 with a 5.3L. I added LC, and used an AC Delco filter, and it seems to like it based on my totally unscientific, unquantifiable observations.
smile.gif

I don't think you will have any problems with the Delco PF 46. Look for the boxes that have the "Made in USA" label.

Napa Gold's are available thru fleetfilter.com for $5 or less, including shipping, in a minimum quantity of 6.

The GM 6.0L V8 engine can run on a variety of viscosity grades - 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40,and 5W-40, with little gas mileage penalty for the 40 weights.

My personal opinion is that these engines tend to lug & run at lower rpm's and load the oil with combustion by-products. It is a wise choice to keep the OCI at 5-6k max with conventional oils and disregard the OLM.

As far as engine noise, an oil such Chevron/Havoline or Pennzoil with higher levels of moly will provide the best results.

Good Luck with the new ride!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by eddyzima:
Thooks, have you ever seen an ac delco filter problem or failure?

Nope, but since they can't make them all at the same plant, and make them here in the US, I have lost my intuition that made me think that putting an AC-Delco filter on a GM product was a good thing.

I'd rather now just use a Wix or Purolator that is convenient and support a different company.

Actually, I have rid my property of all my GM vehicles anyway, and don't see myself going back. I have grown sick and tired of the continual problems with the fuel pumps, intake gaskets, Electrical problems, various sensors going out, etc.

Actually, I have rid my property of all my GM vehicles anyway, and don't see myself going back. I have grown sick and tired of the continual problems with the fuel pumps, intake gaskets, Electrical problems, various sensors going out, etc. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Knock on wood so far on my 02 2500. i have got 87k on it with no problems. not even brakes yet. just alot of gas, gas and more gas.
I do agree with american car makers having stupid problems,but if you need a heavy duty truck to do some real work it is hard not to get the gm's. they seem to have the truck thing down pat.

Actually I really don't plan on towing anything anytime soon. I'm a college student paying rent and just happen to come across this particular truck on a dealers web site. I had been looking at Silverados and really loved the way the HD's looked compared to the 1500 series. Here's the kicker...my girlfriend hates the way 1500 Silverados look and she also prefers the HD line. Had some money lying around from my grandparents' will, went down, looked at it and got it for $23,500 out the door. Went down today and bought some 5w-30 Chevron along with a Wix Napa Gold oil filter. BTW, I also got the extended warranty with the $100 deductible. I love this truck.

-

quote:

Not sure how to take it espeically since it's hard to tell if someone is being a smarta** or not but I work hard for my money. Not only did I save money for this truck, I received money from my grandparents when my Grandma passed away back in Janurary. Selling my Jeep, and the money I had saved up in my ING Savings, I put $16,000 down. So my payments are about $166 a month. I bought this truck after I paid off my own credit cards, not to mention my Jeep was falling apart and realized that pumping money into a hunk of junk wasn't worth it. I am completly responsible enough to handle a carpayment, rent, and my girlfriend
grin.gif
. I'm not 18, I turn 24 on Sunday...i'm just trying to catch up on the lost time I spent wasting my life away at Kragen hence the reason why I'm calling myself a college student. It's all about responsibility...

-Not to mention, I have darn good credit for a 24 year old.

quote:

Originally posted by jc1990:
that,s a nice truck but i think the gmc is a little better hey at least it,s not a ford

Actually, 3 days before I found the Chevy, there was a 2003 GMC 2500HD with 22,500 miles parked at the end of my block with a for sale sign. I gave the seller a call and spoke to him over the phone for about 30 minutes about the truck. The next day I call him to see if I can take a look at it and the seller decided he didn't want to sell it anymore; he didn't want to say why he had a sudden change of heart.

quote:

Originally posted by CrazyJeeper:

quote:

Not sure how to take it espeically since it's hard to tell if someone is being a smarta** or not but I work hard for my money. Not only did I save money for this truck, I received money from my grandparents when my Grandma passed away back in Janurary. Selling my Jeep, and the money I had saved up in my ING Savings, I put $16,000 down. So my payments are about $166 a month. I bought this truck after I paid off my own credit cards, not to mention my Jeep was falling apart and realized that pumping money into a hunk of junk wasn't worth it. I am completly responsible enough to handle a carpayment, rent, and my girlfriend
grin.gif
. I'm not 18, I turn 24 on Sunday...i'm just trying to catch up on the lost time I spent wasting my life away at Kragen hence the reason why I'm calling myself a college student. It's all about responsibility...

-Not to mention, I have darn good credit for a 24 year old.

Pretty dang smart... the GF will be your biggest expense over the long haul.. Don't forget to invest in her too! Beautiful truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back