Standard & Severe Duty Water Pumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to replace the Water Pump on my 95 Tahoe (see other post) & when I checked with the parts store they listed a standard pump & a severe duty one. I was wondering which one I should get? Also, what is the chances of having a new water pump blowing out some of my 15 year old components (radiator, heater core, head gaskets...)

Thanks!

Maybe the bearings are stronger in the severe duty one to support a huge fan as part of a HD trailer package etc. As long as it clears and fits it sounds like a good upgrade.

The pump shouldn't blow anything out.

Alrighty. The part store offers a new aftermarket pump & a reman one by Cardone. Any experiences with them? (Parts store is O'Reillys)

Maybe more impeller blades and a metal impeller. Plastic ones come unbound from the shaft under higher revs and temps. One of the cost cutting measures that really drive me nuts. Eyeball it if you can and report back :)

If its a cardone SD pump, first they replace everything, only the casting is reused, and they install upgraded bearings for longer life and more load bearing capacity.

It would be nice to do a side by side comparison. I know Napa offers rebuilt & new. The new one was about ten dollars more after the math not having to put a deposit on a core.

Update-

I went & finished purchasing all the parts for this job today. I ended up getting a new standard duty water pump from Carquest (Made in USA by ASC), primarily because the severe duty wasn't in stock. I also bought a new AC-Delco thermostat from the Chevy dealer, and a radiator cap from NAPA. Should be able to throw it all on tomorrow & I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back