Volvo SX sterndrive lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently decided I should change the gear lube on my Volvo SX outdrive. It had not been changed for probably 7 years.

The boat gets fairly light use, several weeks per summer.

What would the oil look like ideally, and under normal circumstances?

My SX drive fluid always comes on looking brand new. I do change it every season and use Amsoil marine outdrive oil. I do run my boat pretty hard at times, but the fluid has ALWAYS looked brand new.

I have always used 80W90 automotive gear oil in all my outdrives since a Merc rep told me it's all the same stuff.

Marine gear oil is just packaged for a different market

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I have always used 80W90 automotive gear oil in all my outdrives since a Merc rep told me it's all the same stuff.

Marine gear oil is just packaged for a different market

I don't believe it is the same. I know that there are different additive pacakges in the marine gear lube. Outdrives are under much more stress than a normal differential.

I know in the repair manual for my outdrive they specify Volvo outdrive lube but suggest that M1 75w90 gear lube is acceptable.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I know in the repair manual for my outdrive they specify Volvo outdrive lube but suggest that M1 75w90 gear lube is acceptable.

It actually says M1? weird. Like I said, myself and my friends have been running the Amsoil Marine gear oil for several years and have had nothing but good things to say about it. Oh, except for the smell, it smells bad just like all gear oil's lol

Johnny, I was told it is the same stuff by a Mercury Technical rep at a major boat show. It was off the record. I would say Auto diffs have a harder time with the oil. A stern-drive runs submersed in water and never gets very hot. Also most are changed once per year to be sure no water is in the oil.

I have always run Castrol 80W90 GL5 and have only good things to say about it. I am sure MArinas are running bulk GL5 gear oil as well. No way they are going to buy high-priced oil for the masses. Go and throw your money away on the high priced gear oil if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Johnny, I was told it is the same stuff by a Mercury Technical rep at a major boat show. It was off the record. I would say Auto diffs have a harder time with the oil. A stern-drive runs submersed in water and never gets very hot. Also most are changed once per year to be sure no water is in the oil.

I have always run Castrol 80W90 GL5 and have only good things to say about it. I am sure MArinas are running bulk GL5 gear oil as well. No way they are going to buy high-priced oil for the masses. Go and throw your money away on the high priced gear oil if it makes you feel better.

Look at the load that an outdrive is under pushing a boat at 40mph vs what a differential is doing pushing a car at 60mph. Huge difference. And heat is an issue. Look at Merc Alpha drives, several companies make drive coolers because the gear cases get so hot that they start to oxidize the finish on the drive.

I guess to each his own. I would rather trust my expensive outdrive to $7/qt MARINE Amsoil than $3/qt whatever is on the shelf. Out drives are expensive when compared to oil.

Look at the axle load on a pick-up towing a big trailer through the desert, or a high performance car doing a burn out. Gear oil has to work in these apps as well as the family car.

OP is talking about a Volvo SX drive here

Last edited:
I have to say, I've never felt the outdrive even warm to the touch, even after an afternoon tubing. My trucks differential is noticeably warm after a relaxed drive on the highway. Whether that means the internals are cool as well, I don't know, so take it for what it's worth.

To me, it's worth spending the money on that which is recommended by the manufacturer. In this case, I used Mobil 1 because it was easily accessible on a Saturday afternoon.

Yea, an aluminium outdrive gear case going through 75-90 degree water at 35MPH. You can get better cooling tham that. Other that ultra high performance drives I cant imagine how the gear oil would ever get over 120-130 deg with all that cooling

The sx drives don't get hot like the Alpha drives do, just saying think about how hard launching and pushing a boat through water is.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
again, cheap insurance and piece of mind to use a higher end marine gear oil.

Not sure what you mean here. It's the same as automotive gear oil only packaged for a different market.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I have to say, I've never felt the outdrive even warm to the touch, even after an afternoon tubing. My trucks differential is noticeably warm after a relaxed drive on the highway. Whether that means the internals are cool as well, I don't know, so take it for what it's worth.

To me, it's worth spending the money on that which is recommended by the manufacturer. In this case, I used Mobil 1 because it was easily accessible on a Saturday afternoon.

I've seen Mercury outdrives where they got so hot that the paint was burnt. I owned one that did that. The local mercury dealer said that some do that. That's why some folks install drive showers. As far as the gear lube goes, my 07 SX specs GL-5 gear lube. I run Mobil One.

On outdrives, it depends on how you use them. Your off shore racing? It's going to get hot. Pulling a tube, not going to get hot. I'd use the High Performance Mercruiser Gear Lube, it's synthetic. Stuff stinks but holds up well in any condition and I think it's cheaper than what your using. This is what Merc. uses on any of their drives that handle over 300 HP, the Alpha's, Bravo's and the new racing line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back