Rear Differential Fluid ? - 2009 Honda CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the owners manual it states to change the fluid when the MM says to and also that the dealer should do it.

Has anyone done this change themselves?

What are some tips on doing it? How often? etc........

I know if I do do it myself I'll have to get the fluid and things from Honda.

I'd do it every 30,000, and since you use so little you can just get it at the dealer. I've never read of a good substitute for the Honda dual pump fluid.

i've done hundreds of the diff services, make sure you get the duel pump 2 fluid, it was updated about 2 yrs agon, it's easy to to, there is an upper drain plug to fill through and a lower to drain with, just drain, replace lower plug, fill till it comes out the top hole, get one of those quart bottle pumps from the parts store.

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
i've done hundreds of the diff services, make sure you get the duel pump 2 fluid, it was updated about 2 yrs agon, it's easy to to, there is an upper drain plug to fill through and a lower to drain with, just drain, replace lower plug, fill till it comes out the top hole, get one of those quart bottle pumps from the parts store.

When I searched "quart bottle pump" at advance auto I got this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Fluid-Oil-Pump-CRC_9016678-P_N3243_T%7CGRP2035____

Is that what you were talking about?

that's the one, if you let this fluid go to long it thickens up, since there is a series of clutches in that diff. this causes a problem. if it is thicker it can't fit in between the clutch plates causing a groaning sound with a chattering sensation while turning sharp at low speeds,so i'd say do it every 30k or 15k if you are using it in snow or mud sand, due to the fact that you are using those clutches more causing the fluid to thicken faster.

Ok I have the service manual from Honda. I'll have to break it out when I get closer to 30,000 and see how to do the change. Thanks for the suggestion. I just wasn't sure when or how often to do the change.

Is it pretty tight under there where this needs to be drained and filled?
Also it is in the rear correct?

no they are very easy to get to, your manual won't tell you how to do it, it will just say to take it to the dealer, but it's pretty fool proof, if you get under there and look at it you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
no they are very easy to get to, your manual won't tell you how to do it, it will just say to take it to the dealer, but it's pretty fool proof, if you get under there and look at it you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

The manual I have is the manual they use at the Honda Shop. The one that is super in detail. if I knew what I was doing I could rebuild the engine with it. The book is massive.

I have a 2008 CR-V. It takes about a quart and a half of the Honda Dual Pump fluid. Unless the MM has changed from the '08 to the '09 model year, you should receive the differential service code between 15k and 20k miles.

Always remove the FILL plug FIRST when servicing any differential, that way you don't drain the fluid first, only to find out that the fill plug is frozen in there, then you are screwed because you already drained the fluid and have no way to drive the vehicle to the shop! lol

Originally Posted By: radtech91
Ok I have the service manual from Honda. I'll have to break it out when I get closer to 30,000 and see how to do the change. Thanks for the suggestion. I just wasn't sure when or how often to do the change.

On my 2005, you have to remove the black shield that covers up the controls for the AWD to make it easier. Get that quart-bottle pump, open the FILL bolt first, then drain it out and refill until it's just trickling out the fill hole and you're done. I do mine every 25-30k.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: radtech91

On my 2005, you have to remove the black shield that covers up the controls for the AWD to make it easier. Get that quart-bottle pump, open the FILL bolt first, then drain it out and refill until it's just trickling out the fill hole and you're done. I do mine every 25-30k.

his 09 no longer has that, they changed in 07, but those were kinda a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back