Trans HYD in place of Polaris AGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MSDS you have is for transmission fluid and transaxle in your 2010 Ranger. You would not use AGL in the front hub. AGL is a approx. SAE 80 gear lube (GL3) for use in transmissions and chaincases only. AMSOIL Series 2000 Chain Case Lube would be an equivalent product to use.

This is the MSDS for the Demand Drive Plus
http://msds.polarisindustries.com/Demand Drive hub Fluid _0407_.pdf

The product link you are thinking of using states it meets J20D spec. for the front hub. I never heard of that product and looks like you have to buy a gallon of it.

That's the only drawback to other fluids, they often cannot be found in sizes less than a gallon and many not less than 5 gallons. The AMSOIL ATH can be bought in quarts which is a lot more economical since the hub only needs about 9.3oz more or less.

I was thinking of the trans hyd from reading this " Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil (ATH) is a secondary fluid that can be used (= to JD20D spec) but the ATF closely matches the original Polaris Demand Drive Premium LT Hub Oil and it what AMSOIL Recommends."

I have synthertic atf for the front but I thought about having the same in the rear case and the front. I take it the trans hyd is not a good fluid for the trans, reading of owners running syn atf int he case had me thinking it might be a possible choice...

Thanks for the info Mike!

Last edited:
The transmission being referred to in the ATH is a hydrostatic transmission, commonly used in lawn and garden tractors. It has not similarity to the trans in the Ranger which uses chain driven gears.

A little more information

AGL is chaincase oil/aka transmission oil
Angle Drive Fluid is 75W-90 gear lube
Demand Drive Hub Fluid is hydraulic oil

Yes, I have also seen others using ATF in the transmission. All I can say is that its the incorrect fluid to use and they are experimenting.

IF you need any clarifications, you can PM me. I don't want to give away all my years of research. LOL

Quote:
Hydrostatic

Hydrostatic transmissions transmit all power hydraulically, using the components of hydraulic machinery. Hydrostatic transmissions do not make use of the hydrodynamic forces of the fluid flow. There is no solid coupling of the input and output. One half of the transmission is a hydraulic pump and the other half is a hydraulic motor, or hydraulic cylinder. Both halves can be placed physically far apart on the machine, being connected only by hoses. Hydrostatic drive systems are used on excavators, lawn tractors, forklifts, winch drive systems, heavy lift equipment, agricultural machinery, etc.

I have been buying Polaris atvs since 1993 and this was before they decided to come out with thier own line of lubricants, all they had back then was two stroke oil. The manuals then said to use 30wt motor oil in the transmissions. That was what all the Polaris transmissions used and they look exactly the same. It wasnt until later when Polaris atvs caught on that they started launching a bunch of weird named lubes to put here and there for exuberant prices.

Just to follow up, talked with the local dealer, he said why not, a short ride, see how it looks! To confirm Mike, shifting was notchy, has noticable particulate on the magnet, did a low speed, low impact 10 mile run over 3.5 hours, now filled with series 2000:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back