04 Duramax RTS 6,120 on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All-

This fill took a trip from Burkburnett TX to Fairbanks AK pulling a 12,000 lb 5er. I had my local shop burn the sample to get the PPM's but didn't get the vis or TBN. Should I be worried?

Iron: 17.87
Silver: .09
Aluminium: 1.52
Chromium: .51
Copper: 9.08
Magnesium: 856.5
Sodium: 9.2
Nickel: .7
Lead: 3.75
Silicon: 7.28
Tin: 3.23
TI: 0
Boron: 41.26
Molybdenum: 81.32
Zinc: 1218

By the way, the truck has just over 95,000 miles, and I was using Donaldson filter, and the oil was good old RTS (blue jug 5W40).

kEVIN

Last edited:
Looks pretty good to me. I was expecting to see copper levels much higher as i believe hi copper is common to these trucks.

Check out the other UOA on a Duramax posted a day or two ago in this forum...

Last edited:
Sounds good! It scared me because my previous UOA was only around 200 and I wasn't sure if there was a problem. But maybe that's the difference between the ci-4+ and cj4 oil.

Based on what y'all see...should I change it yet?

The main wear metals you should concern yourself with are Al, Cu, Pb and Fe. All yours look fine, especailly for 6k miles of pulling a 5ver.

To know if you can go further on this oil, you really need a full report including TBN, Vis, FP, contamination from water, air, etc, etc.

I suspect you likely can go further, but this is a full-on guestimate, and not based on your report. I'm basing this on what OTHER people have shown, and given your very limited view, there is no guarantee. However, if you reset your OLM in the truck when you put in this load of oil, and follow the OLM, you still should be OK; that has proven to be reasonably reliable in the Dmax trucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back