What oil weight for a 2000 mitsubishi mirage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
car does alot of idling. and very short trips.
then once a month i drive 1200 miles home.

Whats a good oil to run ?
What weight? 10-30 vs 0-40 ?
any one little better for MPG on the highway ?

Originally Posted By: BigRich954
car does alot of idling. and very short trips.
then once a month i drive 1200 miles home.

Whats a good oil to run ?
What weight? 10-30 vs 0-40 ?
any one little better for MPG on the highway ?

I almost bought one of these. I am attracted to it because it seems like it will sip gas, especially with a Manual.. a very Compact car.

I vote 5W-30. That motor isnt even 2 Liters if i recall.. and 4 Cylinders? Yeah.. 5W-30 year Round is all you need.

Brand is your choosing, but if its over 75,000 miles use High Mileage oil.

Nothing you do with that car is gonna need anything approaching Synthetic. Just Synth Blend High Mileage Oil and you are good to go. 5W-30.

Yea car is doing great on gas little 1.8 liter 4 cylinder. When im diving from home back to base i get about 30.5 mpg highway at 80 mph A/C on max and trunk pack full of [censored]

yea car has 83k now what the benfits of going with a high mileage oil ?

I was thinking of doing a sythetic only cause i was thinking of changing it every 5k so i didnt have to do it as much.

Whats a good 5-30 weight high miles oils ?
do they make a 0-30 oil would this be better for all the start up the car goes though ?

First, a good 5W-30 oil will be Pennzoil HM, Castrol GTX HM, Valvoline Maxlife, Mobil Clean 5000 or 7500 HM.

For 0W-30, I would strongly recommend Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy. It is a great oil for cold start ups and critical engine wear and tear.

First, a good 5W-30 oil will be Pennzoil HM, Castrol GTX HM, Valvoline Maxlife, Mobil Clean 5000 or 7500 HM.

For 0W-30, I would strongly recommend Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy. It is a great oil for cold start ups and critical engine wear and tear.

I was thinking of doing a sythetic only cause i was thinking of changing it every 5k so i didnt have to do it as much.

You can run ANY SM-grade conventional oil to 5000 miles without any problems, especially if a car sees regular highway runs (to boil water and fuel out of the oil)

think it worth trying syn oil if i can run any SM-conventional oil to 5k miles.

Think it be worth going to a 0-30 ? or just a waste of money

how many miles would be a long highway run or what would be called regular highways runs ? Because car see alot of short trips and idle time on the week but get a good run on a weekend and then the long [censored] one once a month or if i dont get leave its might go for 2 months but rarely

Last edited:
i would run the vis the factory recommends, i wouldnt jump on the "highmileage" bandwagon at 75k, as to me thats a marketing scheme......75k being high miles is definately old news

yea im thinking i might stay non highmileage only cause the motor looks super clean inside and runs get. now just hoping the trans holds out

think it worth trying syn oil if i can run any SM-conventional oil to 5k miles.

Think it be worth going to a 0-30 ? or just a waste of money

how many miles would be a long highway run or what would be called regular highways runs ? Because car see alot of short trips and idle time on the week but get a good run on a weekend and then the long [censored] one once a month or if i dont get leave its might go for 2 months but rarely

With the driving habits you are describing, I would use dino for 5K miles and syn for 7.5K miles OCIs without any hesitation. Check the oil level at every gas-up.

Being from NJ you might benefit from better cold flow properties of synthetic in winter. I run syn in my Kia since I do not have a block heater and use dino in my Axiom (with block heater).

Check out the rebate forum. I picked up a 5 qrt jug of QS syn for $8.50 after the $10 Mail-In-Rebate. Can't beat that.

As far as the weight, there are some 0W oils that are thicker than 5W oils, 0 to 5 area is badly defined.

I had a 1990 Mitsu Mirage (1.5L, 3 Speed Auto). Sold it with 180K miles. Still got 27 MPG in town, and 30+ on the highway. I put good 70K-80K on it using Valvoline conventional, Valvoline MaxLife, and M1 5000 with a few odd 'witche's brew" oil changes thrown in. Ran like a champ (after I rebuilt the transmission, cost me $2300, but I did not have much of a choice), did not burn any oil. I had used MMO in it to clean up the engine after the prior owner's abuse.

Last edited:
Yea car is doing great on gas little 1.8 liter 4 cylinder. When im diving from home back to base i get about 30.5 mpg highway at 80 mph A/C on max and trunk pack full of [censored]

yea car has 83k now what the benfits of going with a high mileage oil ?

Whats a good 5-30 weight high miles oils ?
do they make a 0-30 oil would this be better for all the start up the car goes though ?

BigRich, 0W-30 your car really doesnt need. Ive used 5W-30 Or 10W-30 in all my 4 cylinders, American or otherwise (Nissan Sentra) and i have come to the conclusion that 10W-30 was not needed even then. If i had another car like that, id use 5W-30 in it. However, i would not go thinner, i would not use 5W-20 or thinner. That is NOT a High Performance engine! 0W-30 tends to be Synthetic. So unless you get the NAPA one or something inexpensive, it is a waste.. I think a High Mileage oil like the Jugs at WalMart of MaxLife (made by Valvoline WalMart has different ones) would be Ideal for you. And its $16 there so it is Inexpensive.

0W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40 = Not needed. That motor wont be any better protected, it is a small little motor. Designed for 5W-30 some go heavier in their Hondas, not sure why unless its 6-cyl

I would also vote against 5W-20 it is a grade you forgot to mention but Do Not Need as well.

Im sure there is nothing -wrong- with it but In my opinion, 5W-30 will lubricate your engine the best. Even in Summer.

This only my opinion, it is what i would do if i had your car.

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
BigRich, 0W-30 your car really doesnt need. Ive used 5W-30 Or 10W-30 in all my 4 cylinders, American or otherwise (Nissan Sentra) and i have come to the conclusion that 10W-30 was not needed even then. If i had another car like that, id use 5W-30 in it. However, i would not go thinner, i would not use 5W-20 or thinner. That is NOT a High Performance engine! 0W-30 tends to be Synthetic. So unless you get the NAPA one or something inexpensive, it is a waste.. I think a High Mileage oil like the Jugs at WalMart of MaxLife (made by Valvoline WalMart has different ones) would be Ideal for you. And its $16 there so it is Inexpensive.

0W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40 = Not needed. That motor wont be any better protected, it is a small little motor. Designed for 5W-30 some go heavier in their Hondas, not sure why unless its 6-cyl

I would also vote against 5W-20 it is a grade you forgot to mention but Do Not Need as well.

Im sure there is nothing -wrong- with it but In my opinion, 5W-30 will lubricate your engine the best. Even in Summer.

This only my opinion, it is what i would do if i had your car.

On 0w-30, I will have to disagree. When at operating temperature, 0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30 all are about the same. The difference is negligible. With 0w, you get better flow at start up and in cold weather. Use 0w-30 all year and be fine :)

My brother have a 1998 with the 1.8L, 220000 miles on the engine he does 6k with 5w30 dino.Here in Puerto Rico is always Hot but that engine is easy on oil.

Ok cool i guess on the oil thing i pretty much good im going to end up buy what on sale then to save money but still a pretty good brand Thank you guys

Im really got to make this car last for at least 3 more years. Now i just have to get the trans and timing belt figured out

My wife and I had a 00 Mirage for 9 years and all I would put in was 5w30 conventional. She does short trips, and we had it 2 Minnesota winters without any issue on conventional.

Rich, I may have missed it, but you never stated an annual mileage. I'll assume that you don't have some ultra high annual number.

I'll simplify it.

Go 6months. If the mileage warrants it, use a synthetic. Otherwise, any 5w-30 should work. Forget some mileage landmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back