Valvoline SynPower 5w30 > Genuine Nissan Ester Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier today, I replaced the factory fill on the Altima with Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 and a Purolator PureOne oil filter. The factory fill had 2512 miles and six months of use. Prior to the oil change, the VQ35DE engine sounded a bit "trashy" at idle and there was noticeable mechanical noise when observed from the outside of the vehicle. After the oil change, any questionable noises are gone and the engine is noticeably quieter at idle. Right now, the engine noise is identical to what the engine sounded like when I picked up the car with 37 miles on the odometer.

So much for the Genuine Nissan Ester Oil, which is supposed to help with engine noise. The Genuine Nissan Ester Oil must have broken down, resulting in increased engine noise. I plan to stick with the SynPower and six month/7500 mile intervals. Also, Nissan recommends (but does not require) Genuine Nissan Ester Oil for this application, but Valvoline fully backs their SynPower 5w-30 for all applications where Genuine Nissan Ester Oil is recommended.

Thoughts?

Being retired we don't drive a lot of miles on either vehicle and end up having well under 7500 miles driven during 6 months.

Our vehicles require oil changes based on mileage (severe or normal) + the big issue is it must be changed at least every 6 months because of the factory warranty.

I'm not 100% sure that the engines come filled with ester oil from the factory. I do know that for the most part, anytime I get a 'reman' engine from Nissan, they have been filling them with some sort of oil that is not the ester oil. The Nissan ester oil has it's own smell, the remans have been coming filled with something that almost smells like fish oil. Anyway, I'm sure your car will run fine on the Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Earlier today, I replaced the factory fill on the Altima with Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 and a Purolator PureOne oil filter. The factory fill had 2512 miles and six months of use. Prior to the oil change, the VQ35DE engine sounded a bit "trashy" at idle and there was noticeable mechanical noise when observed from the outside of the vehicle. After the oil change, any questionable noises are gone and the engine is noticeably quieter at idle. Right now, the engine noise is identical to what the engine sounded like when I picked up the car with 37 miles on the odometer.

So much for the Genuine Nissan Ester Oil, which is supposed to help with engine noise. The Genuine Nissan Ester Oil must have broken down, resulting in increased engine noise. I plan to stick with the SynPower and six month/7500 mile intervals. Also, Nissan recommends (but does not require) Genuine Nissan Ester Oil for this application, but Valvoline fully backs their SynPower 5w-30 for all applications where Genuine Nissan Ester Oil is recommended.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are as follows:

Your title should read "Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 > Nissan Altima 3.5 factory fill"
wink.gif

Quote:

Your title should read "Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 > Nissan Altima 3.5 factory fill"
wink.gif

+1 It's doubtful the ff is Nissan Ester Oil, which is a misnomer IMO.

I would think Synpower, Ultra, or PP would be fine. In a survey on the G37 website, M1 is the most widely used.

In my Nissan Rogue, the Factory fill is Silkolene full synthetic 0w20 as someone of Nicoclub found out when he made it analyzed and then called Nissan to confirm. Here are the quotes:
Quote:
Yes the Rogue hits the streets with a initial belly full of synthetic break in oil.

MFG is Silkolene(not common in the US) weight is 0w-20 it is formulated with very high detergents and is very thin which allows fast drainback and the ability to flush those initial contaminants into the oil pan where the filter can take them out.

Quote:
My Lab(Blackstone) first specifically identified the oil type and grade.
I first called and was told the oils carry a identifier.
I then called the magic number to Nissan Consumer Affairs and got straight dope there after a couple of transfers. All Nissans hit the streets new with synthetic. One other cool note they gave me was a "breakin" period really is based on engine run time and not on mileage yet they tell us 3750 miles so as not to confuse the average owner.

Hope this helps.

The FF on that car would NOT have been Nissan Ester oil! Do you really think the FF on an 'economy' sedan (it's NOT a Maxima or 370Z) is an oil they make you pay $12/quart for at the parts counter?

They 'recommend' it so they make mundo $$ off gullible owners who want 'only the best' for their car.

It's just whatever bulk SM/GF-4 dino 5W-30 the factory got on low bid.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
It's just whatever bulk SM/GF-4 dino 5W-30 the factory got on low bid.

Evidence?

No way in _ _ _ _ the factory fill on an altima is $10-$12/qt oil. Probably bulk conventional, possibly with a heavy dose of moly.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
No way in _ _ _ _ the factory fill on an altima is $10-$12/qt oil. Probably bulk conventional, possibly with a heavy dose of moly.

Dang,that stuff is $10-$12 bux a quart !?

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Dang,that stuff is $10-$12 bux a quart !?
Average is ~$12 from the dealer. That for a conventional oil with <1% ester (closer to .5%) and somewhat higher moly count.

The so-called Nissan Ester oil was recommended for the VVEL-equipped engine (3.7L engine in the G37 and 370Z, called VQ37VHR). Maximas and Altimas have a different engine - 3.5L with no VVEL, so no Ester oil is needed or recommended.

As for the noise, I have a 2004 G35 with the same engine as in Altimas and Maximas (VQ35DE) and it makes more noise when the oil is very used. I saw this happen with Q-Horsepower 5w30. Replaced that with Synpower 10w30 and it is very quiet, but I suspect as it accumulates miles it might get noisy.

The bottom line is you cannot make any conclusion comparing noise from the used (unknown and sheared) FF oil with break-in material in it with new oil.

Originally Posted By: dmiko
The so-called Nissan Ester oil was recommended for the VVEL-equipped engine (3.7L engine in the G37 and 370Z, called VQ37VHR). Maximas and Altimas have a different engine - 3.5L with no VVEL, so no Ester oil is needed or recommended.

As for the noise, I have a 2004 G35 with the same engine as in Altimas and Maximas (VQ35DE) and it makes more noise when the oil is very used. I saw this happen with Q-Horsepower 5w30. Replaced that with Synpower 10w30 and it is very quiet, but I suspect as it accumulates miles it might get noisy.

The bottom line is you cannot make any conclusion comparing noise from the used (unknown and sheared) FF oil with break-in material in it with new oil.

Apparently these Nissan engines don't like thin oil. Maybe you could try a 5W-40 or a thick 10W-30 (maxlife comes to mind) to see if it stays quieter at all.

Well his choice of Synpower is good, although it's not a really long drain oil. For The Critic's wimpy 3,000 mile changes, he should be fine.

dmiko said:

Not true. The 09-10 Maxima and Altima 3.5 owners manual tells you to use ester. The Maxima 3.5 has hydraulic variable timing on both the intake and exhaust cam shafts.(Im not 100% sure if the '10 Altima 3.5 does, but I assume the newer ones may) If you look at a Murano 3.5, it will not say anything about the Ester in it's manual.

Last edited:
He said he's going 6 months/7.5k on it, buster.

I wouldnt. I get complaints from customers all the time about noisy 09-10 3.5l engines, at start up, idle, etc, and the main thing in common is that they all refuse to change their oil at the 3750 rec from Nissan. And/or they have some cheap quick lube filter on them. These engines just seem to be hard on oil.

Using an aftermaret filter on the 09-10 maxima can actually cause Bank 1 exahust timing out of phase codes and cause the car to mis and run like [censored]. Both the exhaust and intake cam shafts have a cam position sensor, and an oil driven variable timing gear on them. The lack of oil to the bank 1 exhaust timing gear will throw the cam timing all out of whack. It has been attributed to restricted or lack of oil flow from the too small [censored] filter installed on the engine. I've had this happen a few times, also have had 3.5l and 4.0l vehicles come in with crazy sounds from the engine while accel or reving the engine. Turns out it has something to do with the filter. Don't know if the oil is hitting a roadblock, or going itno bypass, or whatever. All I know is each time they had quick lube filters, I've opened them and the media is extra small for some reason. Another reason to run and oem or quality filter.

Sorry guys. I've been busy with moving and completely forgot about this thread. Thanks for all of the replies, as usual.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

wink.gif

+1 It's doubtful the ff is Nissan Ester Oil, which is a misnomer IMO.

While it is true that Nissan does not require the Ester oil, it does list very clearly in the owner's manual that the usage of Genuine Nissan Ester Oil is recommended for the VQ35DE engine. It is written in the same verbage as "Genuine Nissan NS-2 CVT Fluid" is recommended for the transmission or "Genuine Nissan Super Long Life Antifreeze" is recommended for the cooling system. Point is, if the manual lists a particular fluid as recommended, then chances are you can assume that it is the factory fill.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
If it were special, it would be noted somewhere.

Yes, there is a footnote in the manual with the recommendation that Genuine Nissan Ester Oil needs to be used in the VQ35DE engine. However, Nissan's Tech Line confirmed that this recommendation was added for the 2010MY as the engine was EPA tested with Ester Oil.

Originally Posted By: dmiko
The so-called Nissan Ester oil was recommended for the VVEL-equipped engine (3.7L engine in the G37 and 370Z, called VQ37VHR). Maximas and Altimas have a different engine - 3.5L with no VVEL, so no Ester oil is needed or recommended

'09 and later Maxima lists an Ester Oil Recommendation in the manual.

'10 Altima V6 also lists an Ester Oil Recommendation in the owner's manual

He said he's going 6 months/7.5k on it, buster.

I'll change the oil again in December. I doubt it'll have 7500 miles on it though. Probably more like 5-6k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back