2010 VW GTI 2.0L turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 2010 GTI, and I'm looking to do my own oil on it, as I have done with the car before this (2000 ford focus and first car)

The manual calls for a 5w40 and oil change intervals of 10k miles or one year. I do not feel comfortable with that.

I would like an interval of 5k, 6mo. I just passed 1k miles and I plan on doing a change this weekend. I had good experience with royal purple in my motorcycle, and there are a few guys on VW vortex that have lab tests to back up that redline is great in our motors, however these products both void the warranty.

I don't really know what my options are, but I'm thinking a Mobil 1 full synthetic is what I'm going to go with, I'm not sure I know any better.

I'm hoping you guys can help me out, feel free to ask for more info, I will provide whatever I can get my hands on.

Umm, read the thread on the Import Oils forum.

I would not dump the ff early, no reason on Earth to do that.

Redline is a great choice, all things considered, but fuel quality is a big issue with the intake deposits.

I'm planning on doing 4 month ocis, using a bunch of random synth oils. German Syntec for winter, SynPower 20w-50 for summer, etc...(read my Tiguan thread)

But I did go and buy some M1 HIGH MILES 10w-40 for Summer and 10w-30 for Fall. Those oils have a lot going for them. I don't think the M1 HM 5w-30 will cut it in the TSI for winter (although it's a good oil w/A5 spec). Maybe for winter you can use your Redline as a cleaner-upper. Rotella 5w-40 is the default 5w-40 around here. There is also Mobil 1 5w-40 TDT. I don't know of M1 0w-40 is ideal unless you see extreme cold, in that case there is GC 0w-30.

Also, welcome, but don't plan on learning everything about oil in one sitting. Some guys are really devoted to VAG oils, like Saaber, Jag and RI_RS4. Some of their threads will open things up for you.

Oh I don't plan on it. I'm in the DC area so I don't see really harsh winters... nothing really under 10F

I'm going to stay away from redline, until I'm over the warranty. I saw your tiguan thread... but your situation is a little different than mine, I mean, I'm only at 1k miles.

also 'dump the ff early' I'm not sure what ff means in this context.

factory fill

Im at 500 miles, so I dunno...kind of the same boat.

Don't worry about using non VW 502 oils, 502 is a weak spec, not even current, technically. Really, German Syntec is the only VW 502 oil I use.

So you think the redline will be ok? I really don't want my warranty voided....

What about lucas oil products? are the additives good, or is stuff like this a joke?

DvS

Welcome to the boards!!!!

VWoA is VERY strict about oil and I would ONLY use the VW approved oils until the warranty expires. If you have a problem and they discover something in an oil analysis that isn't up to VW spec
THEY WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY MOST LIKELY....

Regarding the factory fill that came with your new VW.

I would leave that in there until 5000 miles, same with the filter...it is likely that even today VW still uses an enriched add/detergent pack during the initial break in for the engine..

A VWoA service rep spoke to me about this fact just a few years ago. I trust his word.

There are plenty of excellent VW approved oils for your new Golf GTI, don't risk voiding your warranty.

Regarding oil additives...DON'T USE THEM! They too may be grounds for VWoA to refuse to honor your warranty.

Last edited:
In the USA, we have Moss-Magnusen Act, which puts the burden on the auto co to prove the non-spec product caused the damage.

Vizzy does not enjoy this protection in his country.

Let the dealer do their oil changes at 10k and whatever else you do can only improve the lube situation.

Yeah I've neard of that act, but from what I understand, because redline isn't within VW's 'Spec' they can just tell you that you used a non approved oil and screw you.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
In the USA, we have Moss-Magnusen Act, which puts the burden on the auto co to prove the non-spec product caused the damage.

Sounds nice unless the dealer/manufacturer decides to stonewall you and you need to spend more on lawyers than the repair would have cost you. Even then it's [censored] shoot whether the court will side with you.

While under warranty, stick with products that meet the manufacturers specs and keep records.

I live in Canada now, but lived in the US for most of my life...

The rep I spoke to was a VWoA (USA) district service rep, NOT a VW Canada rep...

That MMA will not be of help if a critical fluid used in the engine does NOT meet VW 507 specs....The MMA applies to external accessories like wheels, tires, and the like.

I IMPLORE you NOT to use non approved oils or ANY non approved fluid for brakes, steering, transmission, and clutch!!!!!!

DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
I live in Canada now, but lived in the US for most of my life...

The rep I spoke to was a VWoA (USA) district service rep, NOT a VW Canada rep...

That MMA will not be of help if a critical fluid used in the engine does NOT meet VW 507 specs....The MMA applies to external accessories like wheels, tires, and the like.

I IMPLORE you NOT to use non approved oils or ANY non approved fluid for brakes, steering, transmission, and clutch!!!!!!

DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!

which is why I am shying away from redline and trying to find out good 507 spec oils.

Thank you for your help so far guys!

Good luck with that.

Maybe just go with the 10k changes because that's what the VW rep somewhere told someone.

At my dealer, the thinking is quite different.

The idea that VW is going to be testing your oil to determine VW 502 compliance (not 507 like the "experts" just said) and then fighting you in court AGAINST the prevailing law is beyond ridiculous, especially when you preformed the required service at the required interval at the dealer. It's borderline paranoia complex.

Like I said, do the dealer service, and then the inbetween changes are open to whatever. There's a lot more to keeping the engine going than a spec typed on a bottle. If that's all that's needed, we can just shut the forum down now and everyone get on with their lives.

My mistake about the oil spec. I was thinking about the diesels, specifically the Golf GTD...I wish I had one!

I only own VW products...

84 Rabbit GTI (mint condition)
96 Golf GL (virtually perfect, in top condition0
2010 Golf TDI (just a fantastic car...)

I agree AudiJ that most likely you COULD use a NON approved oil and hopefully VWoA would not flag the owner on this account...but I know folks that HAVE been flagged and not by the dealer but VWoA when they come to inspect an issue or problem...in fact they DO use oil and fluid analysis in certain cases. I know from the "man" at VWoA.
45.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy

I agree AudiJ that most likely you COULD use a NON approved oil and hopefully VWoA would not flag the owner on this account...but I know folks that HAVE been flagged and not by the dealer but VWoA when they come to inspect an issue or problem...in fact they DO use oil and fluid analysis in certain cases. I know from the "man" at VWoA.
45.gif

That condition does not justify the advice of disallowing oil that may cure a KNOWN issue, such as Redline or RLI, which has documented results.

The known thing outweighs the unknown.

I liked the results from the redline 5w40 with 5w30 race oil mixed (iirc) that I saw over on VW vortex

by the way, where do you get the testing done for your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back