The presidential address about Deepwater Horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions? What do you think this means for the future of the industry? What's this third party that is going to be managing the crisis-aid money, i dont want to get into bashing one way or the other politics-wise, i just am curious as to others thoughts, i noticed he said we have virtually no native oil, What about the ?Bakken? oil field? Something tells me this speech is going to drive gas prices insane... Anyone else feel this?

-Mods- Please remove this if it turns into a political bashfest or if the topic is deemed innappropriate.

Um what's worrying in the news is the lack of safety standards.

It's worrying that private companies don't care, but even more worrying that all the myriad government institutions between them didn't care enough to know about the practices.

Think of all the places that get tax dollars that were a stakeholder in this:

Federal Government
FEMA
State Governments
Their emergency planners
EPA
The department that regulated the drilling
Coastguard
etc
etc

Between all of them, nobody seems to have thought, "hmmm we better check into the drilling practices of those oil companies because if something goes wrong there would be a big problem"

Where I despair is that we're all in this together but nobody gives a FF about it, not private companies not public institutions. Exactly the same as the credit crisis. Private companies are reckless when chasing profits, public officials have no moral backbone running through them to serve the public.

It's not about private vs public, it's about being morally bankrupt and a nation that has sadly taken self interest to an extreme.

Last edited:
What I can not believe is that The Prez and BP's CEO still have not talked Man to Man about this.

This speech is all about increased taxation.
Who knows how far this insanity could go.
Most everyting could be taxed based on how much carbon it emits by someone's 'calculation' or feeling. Own a lawnmower? It gets a tax stamp that you purchase each year. Outdoor cook grill-It too will requrire a stamp to be compliant.Purchase more gasoline than a bureaucrat thinks you should and you pay a fine.a plan like this is already in the works in the UK.

I agree, sadly enough. i pay how much money out of my paycheck to these goverment divisions and they were so blind to something that is so obvious.

Last edited:
Lies, Lies, and more Lies with a huge dose of propaganda thrown in. We have HUGE amounts of "native oil" The Baaken oil field is just ONE. Alaska alone has a 200 year supply.

The "president" works for BP. He collected more campaign money from them than any other president. The "third party" that is going to handle our money is probably Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan/Chase (who is the largest shareholder in BP) or some other financial terrorist organization.

All I can say is "RICO".

BP won't pay a dime for the clean up. We will.

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
This speech is all about increased taxation.
Who knows how far this insanity could go.
Most everyting could be taxed based on how much carbon it emits by someone's 'calculation' or feeling. Own a lawnmower? It gets a tax stamp that you purchase each year. Outdoor cook grill-It too will requrire a stamp to be compliant.Purchase more gasoline than a bureaucrat thinks you should and you pay a fine.a plan like this is already in the works in the UK.

+1. You are right on target. They raise taxes on gas and oil and WE pay for the clean up. BP loses nothing. Wallstreet and others reap HUGE profits. The American citizenry loses everything.

It seems to me that no matter what the industry (finance/oil/farming/etc) Government oversight has been, at best, poor and at worst, in collusion with the people they are meant to oversee.

So much information is coming out that for years the Government body that was meant to make sure that the stuff BP and others were doing was as safe as possible and that if something went wrong the plans were in place to prevent a problem turning into a disaster, was actually signing off on anything the oil companies put in front of them.

I am sure that BP could have done without the rig blowing up; and the loss of life; and the loss of oil; and the headache that has followed but MAYBE if the tough and proper questions had been asked in the early stages then MAYBE this could have been prevented.

I don't have a problem with Obama not sitting down with BP; I expect his expectations to have been communicated to them. I do expect him to be overseeing the complete redesign and restaffing of the oversight department; that for me is the most important part when looking to the future.

You know, we've been going to the moon for decades and yet it wasn't that long ago we lost an entire crew. Deep water drilling is similar in that if we don't pay attention to every detail and we cut the odd corner or two in the interest of cost or haste: bad things happen!

Originally Posted By: mc2lizard
I agree, sadly enough. i pay how much money out of my paycheck to these goverment divisions and they were so blind to something that is so obvious.

Yep, you pay 63.8% out of your paycheck IF you add EVERYTHING up. But you don't pay off the regulators. BP and others do. That's why government regulations result in small business being put out of business while the largest companies thrive. Government regulating an industry doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back