Manual Transmission Oil for 22RE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota Pick-Up 22-RE 1995 4x4 128K miles

In the Owner's Manual says to use:

GL-4 SAE 75W-90

Where I live the only one they sell is Castrol EP 80w Manual (GL-4)

Is it safe to use SAE 80W instead of SAE 75W-90 ???? is there a big difference?

My local Napa carries Valvoline 75W90 gear oil. It's the only pleace around here that has it. If there is a Napa near you maybe they have 75W90 in stock too. Not sure about substituting 80W. I wouldn't do it though.

ONLY USE THE RECOMMENDED 75w90 GL-4

Shop around if you want it a parts place will order it for you.

Using other weights and specs will likely cause damage or premature wear.

Bite the bullet and order some Amsoil or Redline GL4 Manual transmission fluid in 75w-90. You won't believe the improvement in shifts. The synchros will engage so much better.

As I understand the figure 75, refers to the viscosity or thickness at low temperatures, and the letter "W" simply means this is suitable for winter conditions.

how can 75 and 80 be that different?

Not arguing, I know you guys know your stuff.. I'm just amazed

There should be one grade of super efficient synthetic transmission oil for all the models of vehicles out there. It's insane how man complicates it's life.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
My local Napa carries Valvoline 75W90 gear oil. It's the only pleace around here that has it.

I'd bet this is GL-5 oil. When I replaced the transmission oil in my old 280zx (required GL-4 as GL-5 was bad for the synchros) I had a heck of time finding anyone at "normal" auto parts store that even knew there was a difference. My local Napa had some Sta-Lube GL-4 oil in a variety of weights but as others have stated Redline MTL is probably a good option as well.

There are the ones i've been told are the best for my ride:

Motul Gear 300
Castrol Syntrax GL-4
Redline MT90 GL-4
Royal Purple ‘Max Gear’
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90

So which one is the ONE?

I would imagine that what you have in there has sheared down to below a 80W at this point anyway. Not much difference. GL4 is what's important. Amsoil make a nice 75W90 if you plan to keep the truck for a long time

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
My local Napa carries Valvoline 75W90 gear oil. It's the only pleace around here that has it. If there is a Napa near you maybe they have 75W90 in stock too. Not sure about substituting 80W. I wouldn't do it though.

I can't stress enough about the differences between GL-5 and GL-4.

Originally Posted By: livehho
There are the ones i've been told are the best for my ride:

Motul Gear 300
Castrol Syntrax GL-4
Redline MT90 GL-4
Royal Purple ‘Max Gear’
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90

So which one is the ONE?

An Amsoil told me that 75w90 Severe Gear is recommended for my Elantra. Then he called me back and said that he was wrong and meant to say Amsoil GL4 75w90. The Severe Gear was meant for differentials.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
]

I can't stress enough about the differences between GL-5 and GL-4.

I think you will find that all 75w90 is spec'd as GL-4.

Right on the money the GL-4 spec is what is of utmost importance, I'm pretty certain that ALL GL-4 is synthetic. But I would make sure to use exactly what Toyota specified.

Your best bet is to stick with the manufacturers spec.

Last edited:
Redline MT-90 or Amsoil MTG! They are offer excellent wear protection and you'll love the smooth shifting.

Let us know what you choose and how it shifts.

Originally Posted By: livehho
Toyota Pick-Up 22-RE 1995 4x4 128K miles

In the Owner's Manual says to use:
GL-4 SAE 75W-90
Where I live the only one they sell is Castrol EP 80w Manual (GL-4)
Is it safe to use SAE 80W instead of SAE 75W-90 ???? is there a big difference?

Don't use the EP80. Its too thin and there is a difference!

Buy mail order if you can't find a 75w90 GL4 at your local stores.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Bite the bullet and order some Amsoil or Redline GL4 Manual transmission fluid in 75w-90. You won't believe the improvement in shifts. The synchros will engage so much better.

ditto

I have about 240K miles on my 87 4Runner. I Had some notchy shifting issues in the morning when the truck was cold (especially in winter). I refilled with whatever synthetic oil that met the spec at Kragen about 5 years ago. Still running and shifting great.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: Billbert

ditto

ditto the ditto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back