ticking sound when acceleration at 2500rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevy malibu 2003 w/ 75, 000 miles

I notice that when the car starts from 0, if I step on the gas gently, 99% of the time, there is no ticking sound. However, say, if I step on the gas a bit harder, then I can usually hear ticking sound as the engine revs up to 2500 rpm until the gear is shifted.

This problem usually happens when the car starts from a very low speed to a higher speed and it doesn't happen if I make it rev 2500 rpm during highway drive.

The ticking sound started quite a while ago, maybe around at 50, 000 miles. That time, it didn't happen unless i stepped on the gas pretty hard to accelerate the car from 0 to say 30 mph. Recently, it happens more often. But it doesn't always happen.

btw, I changed the ATF at around 50, 000 miles, thinking it might the ATF needed to be changed. It didn't seem to help.

Sometimes, I find that the ticking symptom gets relieved a little bit after a fresh oil change. But this might be just coincident. Also, after I had my fuel pump replaced about 1 month ago, the ticking sound initially went away but now it came back.

Oh, forgot to say that this problem seems to happen much more often when the car has been driven for a while, say after 20 miles of driving. If I step on the gas quite hard when the car is cold, no ticking sound.

What could be the ticking sound then? The transmission? or, another ATF change? Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: iExcel
Chevy malibu 2003 w/ 75, 000 miles

I notice that when the car starts from 0, if I step on the gas gently, 99% of the time, there is no ticking sound. However, say, if I step on the gas a bit harder, then I can usually hear ticking sound as the engine revs up to 2500 rpm until the gear is shifted.

This problem usually happens when the car starts from a very low speed to a higher speed and it doesn't happen if I make it rev 2500 rpm during highway drive.

The ticking sound started quite a while ago, maybe around at 50, 000 miles. That time, it didn't happen unless i stepped on the gas pretty hard to accelerate the car from 0 to say 30 mph. Recently, it happens more often. But it doesn't always happen.

btw, I changed the ATF at around 50, 000 miles, thinking it might the ATF needed to be changed. It didn't seem to help.

Sometimes, I find that the ticking symptom gets relieved a little bit after a fresh oil change. But this might be just coincident. Also, after I had my fuel pump replaced about 1 month ago, the ticking sound initially went away but now it came back.

Oh, forgot to say that this problem seems to happen much more often when the car has been driven for a while, say after 20 miles of driving. If I step on the gas quite hard when the car is cold, no ticking sound.

What could be the ticking sound then? The transmission? or, another ATF change? Thanks.

Your Ticking sound is Lifters.

Why did you think Transmission would help it?

Only Ticking that could come from area liek that is Exhaust Hole

Oil change time, perhaps

Something is going on with the lifters

This is called "Valve Tick" or "Lifter Tick"

It sometimes happens, and Oil is the Number One thing towards counteracting it.

At first I was thinking exhaust leak as I read your post, but you mention that it does not make it when the engine is cold.

IExcel:
I Suspect a noisy fuel injector but could also be CV joint in the FWD transaxle, or cracked flexplate in the tranny if its load related. If it WAS a lifter tick it should be same at no load or load. I dont think it s a lifter tick given your description. BTW, what weight oil you running? 5w-30? Also, What brand and type of oil and filter?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HomerJ5w40

Oil change time, perhaps

You are sounding a little too sure of yourself there HJ :) There are many other things on a car that can cause a tick - even a canister purge solenoid.

All the items posted could be a cause and many more.A hair line crack in the exhaust manifold or welds if its a tube manifold,a very slight exhaust leak in the manifold area can sound just like noisy "lifter/lash adjuster" under load.You would not necessarily hear it at idle or free revving the engine.

Have someone hold the brake and e brake and put it in drive,briefly raise the RPM and listen closely while standing to the side of the car.Be careful doing this,do not floor it or do it very long!

If the noise is not there it is probably a rotating part in the drive train/axles,wheel hubs,brakes etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
IExcel:
I Suspect a noisy fuel injector but could also be CV joint in the FWD transaxle, or cracked flexplate in the tranny if its load related. If it WAS a lifter tick it should be same at no load or load. I dont think it s a lifter tick given your description. BTW, what weight oil you running? 5w-30? Also, What brand and type of oil and filter?

I run conventional oil, FormulaShell 5W30, sometimes GTX when on sale. And the oil filter is usually FRAM PH3387A and change at every 3000-4000 miles. I do 80% highway drive every day, though. For this oil change, I put on a ACDelco PF47, hoping it might lessen the symptom but it doesn't.

The ticking sound stops immediately after the gear is shifted and the rpm goes down to between 1500-2000. And I can feel it lacks of power when starting from 0 or a low speed. After the rpm drops, the car feels relieved from the stress it had a few seconds ago.

Let me try to describe the situation: the car starts to accelerate, and i can feel that it is speeding up angrily with heavy feet. Then the ticking sound starts till 2500rpm, and, with the gear shifted, the car moves happily again without any ticking.

When the car has been driven for a while and if it climbs up a little hill, or a highway overpass bridge, sometimes, the ticking sound is audible. So, I guess it may be load related.

The ticking sound is just not easy to reproduce every time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HomerJ5w40

Oil change time, perhaps

You are sounding a little too sure of yourself there HJ :) There are many other things on a car that can cause a tick - even a canister purge solenoid.

45.gif
Ive never even Heard of that!
54.gif

And i mistakenly made reference to but didnt call it "Valve Tick"

Could OP's Oil be main Suspect, or even Exhaust hole?

Originally Posted By: Trav
All the items posted could be a cause and many more.A hair line crack in the exhaust manifold or welds if its a tube manifold,a very slight exhaust leak in the manifold area can sound just like noisy "lifter/lash adjuster" under load.You would not necessarily hear it at idle or free revving the engine.
That's right. no ticking at idle or free revving in neutral.

Ticking at a particular RPM independent of load = lifters

Ticking at a particular LOAD = exhaust leak at the manifold/head joint.

Exhaust leaks at the head junction can also be worse when hot or worse when cold because exhaust manifolds expand a LOT when they heat up.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Ticking at a particular RPM independent of load = lifters

Ticking at a particular LOAD = exhaust leak at the manifold/head joint.

Exhaust leaks at the head junction can also be worse when hot or worse when cold because exhaust manifolds expand a LOT when they heat up.

hey! I think you've found my problem on my cts!

Ticking at a particular LOAD only when hot only! During the winter, I can barely hear it but during the summer, I can hear it when the temp is warm! I'll check that tomorrow!

I'm glad to found other idea on different post! Tks a lot!

Gee. I'm surprised there were no "Orange Can of Death" comments :)
hehe... I don't think either the oil or the filter is the culprit as the same combination works very well on my other car, which has a GM 3.4L V6. Both cars use the same oil and same oil filter.

I just got home and the car didn't tick at the places it usually does even if I pushed very hard on the gas.
21.gif

Gee. I'm surprised there were no "Orange Can of Death" comments :)

Self control, man. Lots of self-control :p

This could also simply be spark knock.
If you changed the word 'tick', everybody would be saying spark knock.
So try one or two grades higher octane on your next fill up.
Note that if you have 1/2 87, then add 1/2 89, you are not going up much.
Dump in 91-92 and see if this fixer her up.

Excess carbon , a faulty EGR valve , running hot, etc can cause spark knock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back