Mg 10
Ca 2509
K 910
P 815

vis 11.6
Fuel soot 0.6%
TBN 1.5
TAN 4.83

The Fe doesn't worry me, it's only the 2nd change. The TBN/TAN balance does worry me, and I'll have to start demanding changes before the OCI indicator does. Afterwards, I might start using D1 ESP, even though it's higher ash and P.

Charlie

Quote:
Afterwards, I might start using D1 ESP, even though it's higher ash and P.

Not a bad idea. Or try Amsoil, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, 0w40. Rotella 5w40 might even do better than this.

Whatever I use, it needs to have ash as close to 0.8% as possible and P as close to 900ppm as possible. What I really need is a high TBN lower ash lower P oil, which D1 LE 5W30 fits perfectly. Can't buy it in the US however; exclusively marketed for MB228.51 and MAN3477.

Charlie

Please keep us in the loop as to oil choice and performance for this engine. I could see myself getting one of these in the next few years.

How is this vehicle performing in cold temperatures? My duramax starts just fine at -35C, it's just that it never really gets warm in my 10 mile trip to work.

Even with oil pan heater and a huge block heater in mine.

I understand these BMW's have an electric heater for interior heat. Any comfort issues at really cold temps? My neighbor has the bluetek mercedes ML diesel and has no comfort issues in really cold weather.

PS. I think you have the dream fleet.

AFAIK the heater is hot water but maybe it has an electric booster.
I am in the process of trying to get some Delvac 1 LE 5W30:
http://www.mobil.com/Italy-English/Lubes/PDS/glxxencvlmomobil_delvac_1_le_5w-30.pdf
A MB228.51 truck oil for heavy MB and MAN truck engines with DPFs, 1.0% ash, Doesn't have a BMW rating but MB does recommend it for car type diesels with DPFs.
I'm not happy with the (lack of) TBN retention of the C3 oils, it seems. It looks like with only 0.2% increase in nominal ash you can almost double the TBN!

It seems to start fine. It is usually garaged but the 1st night I had it it was outdoors at -22F. and started right up. It seems to warm up fairly quickly but slower than a 325xi. But my wife like the heated seats and steering wheel.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Please keep us in the loop as to oil choice and performance for this engine. I could see myself getting one of these in the next few years.

How is this vehicle performing in cold temperatures? My duramax starts just fine at -35C, it's just that it never really gets warm in my 10 mile trip to work.

Even with oil pan heater and a huge block heater in mine.

I understand these BMW's have an electric heater for interior heat. Any comfort issues at really cold temps? My neighbor has the bluetek mercedes ML diesel and has no comfort issues in really cold weather.

PS. I think you have the dream fleet.

The BMW diesels are equiped with supplemental ceramic heating element. In 30 degree temps I would feel warm air coming from the vents in about 60 secs (recirculate On). I would imagine the speed of which is dependent upon outside/cabin temps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back