Polaris Front Diff. Oil Alterative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of an alternative the to Polaris Demand Drive LT Premium Fluid used in their front diffs?? I know you cannot use just gear oil, too heavy. Would Amsoil's chaincase oil be an equiv. or not? Who makes this oil for them?

From a polaris forum:
Quote:
Question:

Do you have a product equivilant to Polaris Front Gear Case Premium Demand Drive Fluid LT #2876251 & #2871654? Thanks!

Response:

Dear Sidney,

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL.

In response to your inquiry, to replace the Polaris Demand Drive LT Hub Fluid we recommend our Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (product code ATF). It is a direct replacement for Polaris part # 2876251 & #2871654.

As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

AMSOIL Technical Services

Seems any of the universal transmission fluids would work, you don't need to use Amsoil, lots of companies make a good universal ATF.

Originally Posted By: countryboy9799
Amsoil ATH was also recommended, heres my post.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...888#Post1844888

I used amsoil ATF since I had it on hand. You do realize that it is very important to use the right fluid so it doesnt self destruct?

Yes, I do, that's why I wondered if there was an alternative if I didn't have the polaris stuff on hand.

What year? The front-ends were differentin the early models than the late ones.

You should be fine with AFT or ATH. The main thing is you don't want it to thick like gear lube and get a delayed engagement.

I believe that the fluid specified for the new front-ends is that same fluid that was speced for the hub fluid in the older models. The manual for my 2001 says that the demand drive hub fluid can be replaced with ATF also. I would guess that ATF would work for the newer front-ends as well. I know a lot of people that use Mobil 1 ATF.

I have heard from a riding buddy of mine that used to work at the Hillyard plant in NY that makes the front diff. for Polaris. He says that the fliud would come in 55 gal. barrels labled "John Deer". I'll have to get more details from him later.

fyi.........I have researched this and have been recommending the AMSOIL ATF for years on the advice of AMSOIL.

Note-The current Polaris Product is called Demand Drive Plus 2877922 (quart) and replaces all the previous products.

Quote:
There is only one oil that Polaris approves for use in your Ranger front drive - Polaris Demand Drive Premium LT Hub Oil. This is the common oil sold in Polaris dealers and is the only certified oil Polaris will recommend.

There are three other alternatives that are approved by Hilliard. First is John Deere oil labeled as J20D. Second, Mobil Fluid LT. Third is Gulf Low Temperature Tractor Oil SAE 5W-20 API GL-4. The last two are more common and can be found in many tractor supply stores.

AMSOIL ATH is a direct replacement for the lubes mentioned above in the Hillird email, however the Polaris fluid is not the same fluid as Hillard recommends. That said, the ATH is perfectly acceptable to use per the Hilliard fluid recommendations. I know many Polaris owners who have been using it for many years and with great success. So, its you choice.

For the Polaris fluid, AMSOIL says their ATF Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid is preferred

Its all about the viscosity....the Polaris fluid is 5-6 cSt range, the AMSOIL ATF is about 6cSt and the ATH is multi-viscosity 5W-30. Polaris use a different name to make it hard for others to determine what to use and will end up buying a Polaris product.

Btw - I have research Polaris fluids and know what to use in every gear case. Polaris fluids are really nothing special, only the names they use are. They are made for them by a generic oil company in Minnesota called Lubetec who makes many lubes under varies oem brand names, primarily small engine oem's.

I just bought some John Deere Low Viscosity Hy-Gard for 4.40/qt to replace my front diff fluid. Supposed to exceed JD-20D specs and is specd at JDM-21A, whatever that means. Hope this protects as well as the original purple stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back