What is compatable to GM 89021184 PS fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's for an '09 Cadillac and I don't want to wait until Tuesday to get a bottle at the dealer. Advance Auto PS fluid doesn't have the GM part number. What other brand would?

I thought I saw the GM # on the Valvoline P/S fluid container. (the regular white bottle not the Maxlife)

There are GM numbers on lots of OTS fluids. Be sure that one doesnt cross to something like CHF 11S or 202... In a new cadillac it may be one of the more advanced fluids.

Drain it all out and put in a better quality fluid in! Synthetic is my preference. just kidding. If i were you i would get the Lucas Power steering stop leak, it isnt just for leaks. add it as a topper.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I thought I saw the GM # on the Valvoline P/S fluid container. (the regular white bottle not the Maxlife)

The bottle says it meets GM part number 1050017, nothing about 89021184 that the owners manual mentions.

I found my Cadillac dealer parts department to be open today but when I gave him that part number he couldn't find it, like it doesn't exist, even when GMPartsDirect.com clearly shows it. Some more searching online finds another part number for the same product but in a larger bottle which the dealer does have. I would think the parts people would know this! Instead I had to make 2 trips.

This part number is for regular GM power steering fluid. There is nothing special about it. You can use any brand of regular PSF that you can find.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
This part number is for regular GM power steering fluid. There is nothing special about it. You can use any brand of regular PSF that you can find.

Then why does any regular PSF brand say it's compatible with one GM part number but doesn't say it's compatible with THIS part number.

Also, if you're still uneasy about the number difference, look for a fluid that says it meets "specification 9985010," which is the document that describes the performance characteristics of PSF for service in GM vehicles. A lot of aftermarket fluids mention this specification.

I looked in to it, GM has different part numbers based on container size, for the same product.

http://www.goodwrench.com/PartsAccessories/EngineCareProducts.jsp

If you note on the page, both the assembly lube and the Dex VI have the same four beginning numbers, so those aren't the identifiers. We can also see that the last four numbers change on the PSF with different size containers, so those aren't identifiers. In fact, the numbers being quoted likely aren't specifications, they are simply part numbers (and relatively arbitrary from a compatibility point of view) . I'd propose that any GM compatible PSF would be fine. Seriously.

9985010 is a document number--a specification.

All the other numbers mentioned above are current or superseded part numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back