Looking for a lawnmower recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Buying my first house with a yard (just sold my townhome). Moving in in 2 weeks. Mowed plenty of yards years ago, but none recently.

New house is .65 acres of gently sloping land with a great thick grass bed. Not many roots or real obstacles anywhere.

I'd like to get a lawnmower for $300 or less that is self-propelled, good on gas, and that effortlessly cuts and distributes the clippings back over the yard appropriately.

I've heard excellent things about a Honda model with a big rear wheel, but aside from that....open to recommendations :)

Thanks all,

Joe

P.s. Oh, and I'd like to re-use my used engine oil in this thing since I'm always throwing away perfectly good synthetic :)

IMO anything under $300 and I would stick with a B&S. Plenty of models to choose from. Also look for a local dealer just in case your new mower decides not to cooperate. Another option is craigslist. Most B&S engines that have been cared for will go at least 10-20 years and they can be had for under $75 around here.

BTW I owned a commercial landscaping company for 8 years and only went through 2 homeowner push mowers (I had 2 ZTR's that I used on most properties but the pushers still got plenty of use)

+1 for Toro with the B&S engine. I have a rear drive 22" Toro "Recycler", it's the best mower I've owned/used. Toro also dominates the Consumer Reports mower tests. The Hondas rank well too but cost substantially more.

Toro rear drive. The front drive model isn't a whole heck of a lot better than a Troy Bilt. The drive system wears out. Unfortunately, the rear drive is going to set you back about $100 more, but the fact that it will last almost forever should count for something. Great mulcher too.

Toro rear drive with Briggs. ($399ish at Ace Hardware)

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960

Toro rear drive with Briggs. ($399ish at Ace Hardware)

I've got one of these, too. Mine is with the blade over-ride system (20333). I got it for about $350 - you can catch them on sale once in a while.

One problem I noticed with RWD is that over time, it tends to leave marks/tracks on the grass. So, be sure to modify your direction/angle of travel every time you mow to make these trails less noticeable (give grass time to recover in places where the drive wheels did damage).

After only looking on home depot & lowes websites, I compared the Toro B&S engine for $300 (which was FWD) vs. the Honda 21" dual-blade steel for $400 (RWD).

The reviews seemed to tilt to the Honda version, though the Toro versions were good...but I didn't see a RWD version that was anywhere near this price range?

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations and keep them coming. I think I might go with the Honda, but I'm still open.

Looking for trimmer recommendations too :)

+1 on riding mower. I used to live on a 1/2 acre lot. It took a lot of time to cut with a push mower. Quick switched to a riding mower. If you still go with a push, look for the widest cut you can find. Those inches will add up as you circle the lot.

I really like the John Deere self-propelled mower which I have. Lowes carries it and I think it runs around $350-$400. It is RWD and has a single lever that adjusts all the wheels' height simultaneously which is really nice. It has the Mowmentun self-propelled system and I think it works a lot like Toro's personal-pace. It really soaks up any vibrations or roughness rolling over the yard.

I also have a Honda mower and I prefer my John Deere to the Honda in every way. I Like the B&S engine better too. No primers or choke, just pull the cord and it goes.

You might want to check out an independent power equipment shop. The initial price may be a bit higher, but you will likely receive much better service- before and after the sale.
I can't help you with regards to which mower to get. I only use ZTR mowers. Anything I can't reach with my 42" Dixon gets cut down or hit with Roundup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back