Oil Recommendation Texas Summer Heat !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT that is currently running on 10W-30 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. I would like some oil brands recommendation from you guys that will deal nicely with the extreme Texas summer heat. Im thinking about going to a 20W-50 but Im not sure about it. Oil recommendations are 10W-30 thru 10W-50 (normal climate), 5W-30 or 5W-40 (cold climate) and finally 20W-40 or 20W-50 (hot climate). I want to try the Pennzoil Convnetional 20W-50 if it works well in my car. Let me know what you guys think !

How long due you want to keep the oil in service and what's your annual mileage? I would tend to lean toward a 5w/10w-40 if you could justify a synthetic.

Hot summer is somewhere in Death Valley that can be in the mid to high 120's and even in the low 130's. Texas summer is hot but rarely above 110. I would not use xW50 if normally it is filled with xW30, I may go 1 weight thicker such as 10-15W40 specially if most of your driving distances are less than 15-20 miles.

I doubt there is anything you can do to hurt 15w40, that is a tough oil. I dont think Texas heat is going to have much effect on 10w30 in a gas engine. I would just keep running the 10w30. I am in Florida and it gets just as hot and I am running 5w20 in my wifes car, I am sure there are people running 5w20 in your state, although I am not on the thinner/better bandwagon.

Don't know how much it helps, but I'm about to run 5W-20 in Kuwait's heat. For your application though, I think 10W-30 or 15W-40 would be a decent choice.
55.gif

Just stick with the 10W-30 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend that your running now. How's that not going to handle summer temps? If your really worry about then step up to a 10W-30 PP. I wouldn't worry to much unless you'll always in stop in go in 110+ plus weather.

Shoot my local area is already in 100+ temps and I'm not worryed about the MC5000 that I run. If your cars cooling system is running in good working order your engine temps stay the same.

i would stay w/ 10-30...strongt seems to know what he is talking about

I would flush the cooling system, and replace all belts, filters, including fuel, and hoses for a 7 year old vehicle before using it in that heat if those items have not been done in last 3 years, or 30 K miles.

If you are having good luck with the Motorcraft 10W-30 stick with it. The heat of a Texas summer will not hurt it. I lived in Texas for 40-years and still have my t-shirt from 1986 that says I survived the summer of 86 when it was above 100+ from June 1 through the end of September and all I used that summer was good old Pennzoil 5W-30.

Oils have advanced greatly since then.

I use M1 0w20 in the Fl heat with no problems, and my car seems to love that thin oil. For your car though, i would stick with the MC 10w30.

I wouldn't sweat the summer heat on your engine with 10W-30. You could try a high mileage oil like MaxLife as they're a little thicker at operating temp...

What you are doing seems fine.
If you want something more robust, you could try either M1 15W-50, or for better value, any 15W-40 HDEO.
In your climate, you could probably use the 15W-40 year 'round without problems.
20W-50 is a passenger car grade, while 15W-40 is a diesel engine grade, and the dual rated HDEOs meet specs well beyond SL/SM.
You'll pay around $10.00/gallon for Rotella or Delvac 15W-40, and there are MIRs and sales from time to time on both.
I have three gallons of Tection Extra I picked up on clearance from Meijer that were $3.74 each, so there are deals to be had, although the everyday pricing of HDEOs is reasonable.

Originally Posted By: strongt
Just stick with the 10W-30 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend that your running now. How's that not going to handle summer temps? If your really worry about then step up to a 10W-30 PP. I wouldn't worry to much unless you'll always in stop in go in 110+ plus weather.

Shoot my local area is already in 100+ temps and I'm not worryed about the MC5000 that I run. If your cars cooling system is running in good working order your engine temps stay the same.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
If you are having good luck with the Motorcraft 10W-30 stick with it. The heat of a Texas summer will not hurt it. I lived in Texas for 40-years and still have my t-shirt from 1986 that says I survived the summer of 86 when it was above 100+ from June 1 through the end of September and all I used that summer was good old Pennzoil 5W-30.

Same here! Both posts above have it covered.
01.gif
Either a 5w-30 or 10w-30 will be just fine in the HOT temps (which is a lot easier to the engine than any cold temps. (and I'm talking about BELOW ZERO temps)

I'm in the middle of a 6000 mile trip in the Subaru with hours and hours of driving down the highway. All I did different is put in 10w-30 Pennzoil conventional instead of my normal 5w30. So far with 3200 miles I've used about 1/2 a quart (so I think since Subaru can not design a dipstick that is close to being accurate/easy to read)

The engine is doing well (as long as I stay away from 10,000+ ft grades then its 5000 rpm just to keep it going) oil is fine and I'll prob get a UOA just to see how the engine is doing at 4x,000 miles.

Take care, Bill

10-30 Motorcraft should be fine for Texas. I would not use any 20-50 as wear on start may increase. A quality synt like PP, Ams, or M1 would be my choice for extreme conditions in a 5-30.

Last edited:
Agreed that the 10w-30 should be a stable oil in your application. Now Pennzoil HM and M1 HM 10w-30 are two of the thicker 10w-30. Rotella T5 10w30 is an option also. ON a syn look for ACEA A3/B3 A3/B4.

I have used everything from Amsoil to havoline. Pennzoil platinum too, now this Pennzoil Ultra, is absolutely beautiful! All of my trucks love it. My chevy 5.3 V8 hasn't burned one drop (PU 5W-30/purolator pureone oil filter), at 5800 miles, thus far! My oil life monitor currently reads 27% oil life. The oil itself is a medium brown, slightly darker than honey. The engine runs so smooth, and my gas mileage is wonderful (Shell v power/Pennzoil XLF ashless 2 cycle Marine TCW-3 in fuel). Either Penn Plat or Penn ultra is good, but I am going to give the edge to Penn ultra. My current mileage on my 03 suburban LT 5.3 V8 is 159,000 plus original miles.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: strongt

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Same here! Both posts above have it covered.
01.gif
Either a 5w-30 or 10w-30 will be just fine in the HOT temps (which is a lot easier to the engine than any cold temps. (and I'm talking about BELOW ZERO temps)

I'm in the middle of a 6000 mile trip in the Subaru with hours and hours of driving down the highway. All I did different is put in 10w-30 Pennzoil conventional instead of my normal 5w30. So far with 3200 miles I've used about 1/2 a quart (so I think since Subaru can not design a dipstick that is close to being accurate/easy to read)

The engine is doing well (as long as I stay away from 10,000+ ft grades then its 5000 rpm just to keep it going) oil is fine and I'll prob get a UOA just to see how the engine is doing at 4x,000 miles.

Take care, Bill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back