2007 Acura MDX oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife as a 2007 Acura MDX with just under 28k miles on it. Took it to the Honda dealership to get the oil changed on it last week and was less than pleased. I ended up doing most of the service when I got home since they hadn't ordered the parts for the scheduled service call. They used mobil 1 in it - not sure beyond that. And I'm sure it's had a variety of oil put in it since I've taken it to the dealer all of it's life.

Unfortunately don't have a place to change my own oil but if I start taking to a small garage that a friend of mine uses I can choose my own brand of oil at least. We hope to keep this vehicle over the ong haul.
Also been using the oil life monitor for the changes so it's ened up being about 8-10k intervals.

What oil and interval would you guys recommend?

PP or PU in 5W30 would be good choices for Summer months. I would go back to 5W20 for winter months. I also do not believe in OCI longer then 7500 miles on syn or OCI's longer then 5K on conventional oils.

This vehicle is a tight, durable, modern, low-miles/low annual miles vehicle. You could easily do once-a-year oil changes using M1, PU, or any other decent syn and Bosch D+, M1, or even P1 filter.

That's what I would do if I were you. Just make sure it gets a good long-and-hot run every few weeks.

Over-servicing gains virtually nothing unless you like to/enjoy/and are able to do the service yourself.

Last edited:
Our 2007 Saturn VUE has the Honda J35A3 3.5-liter V6 engine which is a bit smaller but not dramatically different AFAIK than the J37A1 3.7-liter V6 in your MDX. I've run Valvoline SynPower and Pennzoil Platinum (both 5W-20 grades) and it seems to like them both just fine. I'll continue to use either going forward. I've used K&N HP-1010, DENSO 150-1010, and PureONE PL14610 filters.

It's a Honda, so any oil! Take your pick. Keep in mind your OLM is designed to work with conventional oil.

My vote would be for PP and P-1 oil filter.

I ran this combo in my 99 Civic.

Andy

Originally Posted By: webfors
It's a Honda, so any oil! Take your pick. Keep in mind your OLM is designed to work with conventional oil.

Hmmm, this surprised me. Didn't know you could go 10,000 miles on dino. I'm nervous about going that long on synthetic :)

also to add a note about how this car is driven. Generally it is driven to the store about 1-2 times a week which is a 5 minute drive not above 30mph. About once a month we leave post in it for drives about 20 minutes away with shopping stop and go for the day. About 1-2 times a year we take long family trips in it.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex

Hmmm, this surprised me. Didn't know you could go 10,000 miles on dino. I'm nervous about going that long on synthetic :)

My 02 Civic's manual calls for 10K OCI on dino. Going that long on the MDX doesn't surprise me. Personally I wouldn't do it but that's just me.

With as little miles as it generally drives. I wonder if I should go with time interval (ie every six months) rather than mileage. If I do it on an every six month interval - does it matter if I use dino or synthetic?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Timed 6 month intervals on name-brand dino is ideal.

After the Corolla addition, the Subaru will be getting exactly that!

Don't know if this is a dangerous or sill question but: Any particular Dino better than an other for this application? How about blend - any benefit for longevity of the motor?

Don't know if this is a dangerous or sill question but: Any particular Dino better than an other for this application? How about blend - any benefit for longevity of the motor?

uh oh. You just opened a can of worms. Here come the brand cheerleaders!!
grin2.gif

Use whatever makes you feel good. Whether the color of the bottle, or the price, or the snazzy trademark catch phrase. I use conventional oil that's on sale for about 4-5k mile OCIs (warranty mandated) so that makes sense. However I do have a stash of 5 jugs of PP left for winter use.

If you want peace of mind for an OLM that stretches things out you could always use a synthetic with a higher starting tbn than your standard conventional. Or trust that Honda knows what they are doing and don't sweat it.

uh oh. You just opened a can of worms. Here come the brand cheerleaders!!
grin2.gif

Use whatever makes you feel good. Whether the color of the bottle, or the price, or the snazzy trademark catch phrase. I use conventional oil that's on sale for about 4-5k mile OCIs (warranty mandated) so that makes sense. However I do have a stash of 5 jugs of PP left for winter use.

If you want peace of mind for an OLM that stretches things out you could always use a synthetic with a higher starting tbn than your standard conventional. Or trust that Honda knows what they are doing and don't sweat it.

What he said

Back. It's been almost a year since that oil change and for a variety of reasons I did not change it at six months. They are about to open an autocraft center on post so I'm thinking about doing it myself.

Probably go out an get the oil and filter this week. The OLM still says 30% so no clue what it will say the follow on maintenance it will ask for. Right now I'm going to change the oil and filter and check the air cleaners (a/c and engine). Anything else you'd recommend?

TIA,
Tony

What kind of oil filter wrench do I need? Anybody know?

Got a service manual ordered and on the way.

Not exactly sure about the layout of your engine, but on my 05 TL(j32) and 06 Odyssey (j35), if you turn the steering wheel all the way to right, you can actually see the oil filter from the right space between the right fender and the wheel, and it is easily acessible from that space. To me, it is better than unscrew the filter from the bottom.
I personally believe filter wrench is really not necessary, i rather use that $ to buy a torque wrench. (yeah, i know a torque wrench is more expensive than a filter wrench.)

Back to the oil change interval, using a name brand dino according to the OLM is fine, and if it comes to 1 change per year, then switching to synthetic is not that much $ difference if that makes you sleep better.

I drive lots of local on my TL last year, i only get 4700 miles before it hit 0%, and i drive another 1000 miles because it's on a synthetic.
Curious, how many quarts of oil according to the manual? Both my J32 and J35 are 4.5 qts, but i always add 5.
My previous IS300 takes 5.7 qt, and Lexus ask for 5k oil change for severe service, on 5th gear the car rev at 3000rpm @ about 72 mph, so more qt of oils is understandable.

What kind of oil filter wrench do I need? Anybody know? . . .

Acura/Honda dealers sell a "cap" type oil filter wrench (part #07HAA-PJ70100) that fits their filters (both 15400-PLM-A01 and A02) and Purolator's PL14610 perfectly. It's just a smidge looser on a NAPA/Wix 1356 filter, but it works fine. Several Honda online sites sell them at a discount, but when you add in the shipping cost, you'll find can buy one for less ($24) at your local dealer.

There are, of course, many other, less expensive filter wrenches available, but the OEM part is a quality piece. Snaps onto a standard 3/8ths drive ratchet or extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back