Oil and intervals for 2010 Nissan Maxima (VQ35DE)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2010 Maxima February 1. It now has 3000 miles. Per the owner's manual, I have my first change scheduled for 3750 miles or so. Since I intend to change my own oil after the initial free dealership change, I'm looking for recommendations on which to use at what intervals.

- The manual recommends, but does not require, Nissan ester oil in 5W-30.
- The manual suggests two intervals: 3750 miles for 'severe' use and 7000 otherwise. Severe use is defined in such a way to include me.
- I live in Atlanta Georgia. Since we rarely experience more than a few days of temperatures below freezing and the car lives in a heated garage, I'll probably use the same rating of oil year-round.
- I drive gently most of the time, but very fast on the freeway, and with one or more hard acceleration runs up to speed with trips longer than five miles.
- Most of my driving is short trips of 3 miles or less. The engine is always warmed up because the garage is warm and I let it idle for a minute or two. I average 8K a year. The car often sits in the garage for a day or two without use because I work at home.
- The engine has no known problems, though there were about a half-dozen occurrences during break-in between 600 and 1200 miles that I had it up to 5000 RPM.

My current plan is to do this first change at 3750, and then another with conventional oil (Castrol?) at 7500. On the third change at 11,250, I'd like to switch to full synthetic, extend to 5000-mile intervals, and do the changes myself. I'd assumed Mobil 1 was a good choice, but the analysis results from some on this board have me questioning.

Do these intervals seem reasonable? What oils would you recommend, and at what weights?

Last edited:
That person doesn't appear to have changed his oil, ever. I'll be a bit more vigilant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
Read up on this thread

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1910274&page=1

There's no real information to "read" in that thread. It's just some pictures with no background info, and a ton of speculation that might as well be totally random. I don't think it's of any use except to show what sludge looks like.

However:
Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
Stick to changing your oil probably less than 6000 miles with a syn(Mobil, Castrol,Valvoline,Pennzoil,QS) and you'll be ok

Here, I agree.

Nissan recommends using the Ester Oil in this application to reduce valvetrain noise. Although noise problems are more pronounced in the VQ37 than they are in any VQ35DE engine, you may still want to consider using an engine oil whose manufacturer fully backs it for usage in applications where Nissan Ester Oil is called for.

For me, I will be using Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 every 3,000-4,000 miles in my VQ35DE. Pennzoil backs their Ultra 5w-30 for this application as well.

I had an 04 G35 for a couple years, and as you probably know, it too has a VQ35, but installed longitudinally instead of transversely. I think your interval ideas are sound. I'd even trim the early dino intervals back some so as to arrive at 10k miles, and then switch to 5k intervals from then on.

I can't speak for the Nissan oil, they did not offer it back then. I used GC (the older green variety) in mine, and it seemed to run very well on it. More importantly, since you can see a fair amount of the top of the head through the oil filler, I can attest that the engine (at least that part of it) remained spotlessly clean.

KnightRT, I had two Infiniti's with the VQ35. I started with
M1 in the first. It starting using about 3/4 quart makeup
between changes which bothered me for a modern well taken
care of engine. I can't explain why, but I just didn't get
the best UOAs from M1 and I noticed that others were getting
the same "so-so" results....not bad, just not as good as
I would have expected as far as elevated iron. I switched
to Rotella T-syn 5-w40 and loved it at 5K OCIs. I used it
exclusively in the seconnd car with great results also.
The Rotella is now reformulated in that weight and labelled
as "T5" and I hear it's great stuff. Good Luck

Thanks for the notes, guys. It looks like there are better choices than Mobil 1. That last link was especially helpful. I love 350Z people.

I notice that O'Reilly has their own brand of full-synthetic. Is that stuff any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back