I own the Techumseh that never existed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had another Craigslist moment and bought a 1970s Sears worm gear drive roto tiller that had been sitting for about a decade. It has a Techumseh engine, but apparently Sears used different parts numbers or something because none of the numbers on this thing match up with anything that has ever existed on the face of this planet.

The carb needs to be rebuilt...the seals for the float bowl and main jet/float bowl bolt are shot. I can tell the carb has never been rebuilt because the float bowl seal has some of the original paint on it still. The carb is in great shape overall so I hate to get rid of it just because I can't find the right kit for it.

I'm going to a small engine shop on Monday to see if they have any kits or can get one for the carb. I did find series 3 rebuild kits for about $10 each online, but they are pretty specific as far as model number goes and I can't find mine.

Any suggestions about how to find out what engine and carb are on this thing specifically? The Sears model number for the tiller is 785 297252 326. The number on the carb is 473 7G5. There are NO numbers on the engine.

Here is the beast...
IMG_1018.jpg

I did get it to start up and run off of starting fluid when I first got it, but it wouldn't stay running with the carb leaking like it was. It did sound pretty awesome though for the few seconds it ran, which is all the more reason for me to get it running good again.

For what it's worth, I have learned my lesson with this one. If it doesn't have a B&S L-head engine, I'm not buying it.

be careful running an engine on starter fluid thats a good way to blow a piston
a small engine shop should have parts for that one they did my 1966 briggs and stratton snowblower

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
be careful running an engine on starter fluid thats a good way to blow a piston
a small engine shop should have parts for that one they did my 1966 briggs and stratton snowblower

I didn't run it for long on the starting fluid. I just wanted to hear it crank over and it did. The engine itself seems solid.

I'm sure I can get a carb kit for it somewhere, as these carbs were used on a lot of things, I just wish there was some kind of sensible part number on this thing to take out the guess work. I guess Sears wanted people to order replacement parts from them, so they used their own part numbers? Great idea for them I guess, it just sucks for the person trying to get this sucker to run 15-20 years after Sears stopped selling anything for it.

I did manage to get a new direct fit aftermarket air filter for it at Tractor Supply Co. today. That was a nice surprise.

Go to the Sears Partsdirect website tomorrow morning. I'd do it now, but the site is down for maintenance until 6AM. I'll bet they still have all the data on that engine listed when you search by the sears number. I've looked up some seriously OLD parts on that site and been able to find and even order parts. I can almost guarantee sears will still sell you a rebuild kit.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
If we had a picture of the carburetor...

Looks like a pretty standard Tech to me.

The carb is just a standard series 3, but the kits for these are pretty specific by model number and the only # on my carb isn't on any website that sells kits for these.
IMG_1013.jpg

It does look like a pretty standard Techumseh...except there's not a single part number on it so I can buy stuff for it.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Go to the Sears Partsdirect website tomorrow morning. I'd do it now, but the site is down for maintenance until 6AM. I'll bet they still have all the data on that engine listed when you search by the sears number. I've looked up some seriously OLD parts on that site and been able to find and even order parts. I can almost guarantee sears will still sell you a rebuild kit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the website but it didn't come back with anything. I'll try calling the 800 number though.

Walk into your local small engine shop, show them the carb and ask for a new needle and seat. They'll give you the same thing you'd get with a newer model carb. Hasn't changed. I have the stuff to fix it hanging on the wall in my garage--doesn't help you much. Sears will have it, but will charge a small fortune to ship it.

To remove the old one, sometimes you can just blow compressed air through the fuel inlet to make it go flying, otherwise screw a screw into the seat's hole and pull it out that way. Not too far in with the screw. When you install the new one, put a little oil on it to help push it into place. I use a punch (about the same size as hole) to push it down.

BTW, are you sure your float doesn't have a pinhole in it? Remove it and shake it. Anything iside the float and it's junk.

That's got to be a 35yr/old tiller and it may not even have it's original engine on it. Does Sears still stock/sell parts for OPE that old?

Joel

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I had another Craigslist moment and bought a 1970s Sears worm gear drive roto tiller that had been sitting for about a decade. It has a Techumseh engine, but apparently Sears used different parts numbers or something because none of the numbers on this thing match up with anything that has ever existed on the face of this planet.

The carb needs to be rebuilt...the seals for the float bowl and main jet/float bowl bolt are shot. I can tell the carb has never been rebuilt because the float bowl seal has some of the original paint on it still. The carb is in great shape overall so I hate to get rid of it just because I can't find the right kit for it.

I'm going to a small engine shop on Monday to see if they have any kits or can get one for the carb. I did find series 3 rebuild kits for about $10 each online, but they are pretty specific as far as model number goes and I can't find mine.

Any suggestions about how to find out what engine and carb are on this thing specifically? The Sears model number for the tiller is 785 297252 326. The number on the carb is 473 7G5. There are NO numbers on the engine.

Here is the beast...
IMG_1018.jpg

I did get it to start up and run off of starting fluid when I first got it, but it wouldn't stay running with the carb leaking like it was. It did sound pretty awesome though for the few seconds it ran, which is all the more reason for me to get it running good again.

I've got the same tiller. Mine has the original cast iron engine. I hope to restore it some day. Yours has a replacement engine, probably from the mid-late 80's.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960

BTW, are you sure your float doesn't have a pinhole in it? Remove it and shake it. Anything iside the float and it's junk.

The float is actually good. I put it in a bowl of water and it didn't get any inside. The float bowl was not very nasty when I took it off, it's just that every seal on the float bowl is shot.

I went to a small engine shop today. They looked the carb over and determined that the float seat and seal were good. I put in new washers and an o ring on the main jet/float bowl bolt, put it back together, and it runs! It surges for some reason, I'm guessing because the carb needs some adjustment, and it does smoke a little, but it sounds good!

It looks like the engine has a replacement shroud installed. All the Model Numbers you are seeking were probably never transfered form the original cream/white painted shroud to the replacement grey primed shroud.

p.s. You placed too many "h" letters in the engine name. These engines were made by Tecumseh Products, located in Tecumseh, MI where I grew up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back