Valvoline Dino 5w-30 5503 miles 2010 Traverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline Premium Conventional 5W-30
2 UOA.
2010 Traverse.
No makeup oil added in either cases
Most recent oil was in use for 5,503 miles. Miles on engine are 12,314
Oil life monitor indicated 47% oil life left.
I drained out 5 quarts- (the other .5 quarts.... some was sent to be analyzed, I spilled a little, some in the filter, some left in engine) so the engine burned very very little oil.

According to Valvolines website- the oils specs are.
Vis@100=10.78
Total Base number= 7.5

UOA12314.jpg

Quote:
Oil life monitor indicated 47% oil life left.

Tbn that low, the oil should be changed.

Looks fine to me. 7500 miles should not be a problem. TBN retention may not be linear.

forgot to add- this is a direct injection engine.
For other Lambda owners....
Operating conditions- Los Angeles current fair weather.
Morning engine start temps are about 50 degrees. Currently High temps have been 70-85.
Combined mileage hwy/cty is 19-21 MPG.
All highway- 27 MPG

Really not bad for a mineral oil run in DI app while still on the tail end of break in. Like has been pointed out the oil has no safe reserve, but given the cost of Valvo mineral OCs Id run this 5.5K avg OCI and feel safe. Valvoline does continue to impress.

I'd just cut the OLM number in half for the next UOA/OCI. That is, (roughly) 25%. While the basic Blackstone UOA w/TBN doesn't tell the whole picture, if metals stay stable you should be able to figure that TAN isn't running away and etching anything.

I think the oil did OK but I personally would not go any farther than this on this particular oil.

Viscosity beat down into the 20s, flashpoint 405, TBN2.0. Time to change it, IMO.

Insoluables were low though at 0.2-good filtration.

This oil held up better than the Castrol Edge I had in my Traverse. With only 2400 miles on the Edge, it held up no better than convetional Valvoline at over double the price.

Last edited:
Rbarrios - Weren't you running Valvoline Dino in your previous truck (Trailblazer)? I'm assuming you sold it. How many miles did it have when you got rit of it? Off topic I know but how do you like the Traverse over the Trailblazer other than gas mileage?

+1 and a DI engine to boot. I think that UOA is great considering the engine and inexpensive dino.

Yes- I also run Valvoline Premium Conventional in my 2003 Trailblazer.
The last UOA on the Trailblazer- was at 146K.
I figured-- if it comes back bad- Ill sell it/trade in.
But it came back good and kept it- and it still runs great- I still have it.
Mostly used by my father. It now has 154,000.
The current oil fill is at about 9500 last I checked.

The Traverse is much smoother. I can also carry 8 people- yet it gives me the same functionality the Trailblazer did. I never towed- but used the hitch many times for cargo racks. The Traverse also offers me that.
But for everyday family use- I like the Traverse better.

Originally Posted By: webfors
+1 and a DI engine to boot. I think that UOA is great considering the engine and inexpensive dino.

Kmart just had a sale- on Valvoline 5w-30 that I use.
5 quarts for $11.
I bought 24 bottles- what was left on the shelf.
In comparison- WalMart normally has 5 qt jug for $15.
I like this Valvoline.

Im at 4975 miles on the current oil (since the last UOA above)...
OLM is showing 52%...
Im wondering where I should change this time. 5000, 5500, 6500?
Not sure I should even bother with a UAO.

Originally Posted By: rbarrios
Im wondering where I should change this time. 5000, 5500, 6500?
Not sure I should even bother with a UAO.

I dont recall your most lengthy OCI and the corresponding TBN # but since you were satisfied with that report I probably wouldnt bother with a UOA unless you are extending the interval...say more than...1500 miles beyond any earlier run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back