2007 Ford Fusion Harsh shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Ford Fusion with the 5 speed FRN5 transmission. This morning I got another "bang" shift from 1st to 2nd. Its was so hard I though I was hit. About once every 2 months this happens. My first two UOA's were bad and I have posted them. I had the Ford dealership reflash the ECU. My question is this:

I have Castrol Multi-Vechile AFT in it now. Should I try Mobile One or Amsoil next to help with the "rough" shifting"? I am going to do a UOA next week but I only have 6000 miles on this fluid. This is a last ditch effort before I sell.

M1 ATF works very well in my FRN-5. Very smooth up shifts and down shifts.You may have a mechanical issue apart from fluid.

Thanks, I am leaning towards M1 as a last effort. But usually a "bang" shift is a bad or sticking solenoid. In that case I am outta luck and next to impossible to fix in the Fusion.

I would do at least two drain and fills before giving up. If that helps then you might want to do a third.

I don't get the bang in my 07 Mazda6 (same guts, smaller car). I used to be able to make it bang when coasting to a light it holds 3rd gear and slips to 1st as i stop. If you got back on the gas too fast it'd slam into 1st. Amsoil ATF seemed to have made that less harsh and I've been using it ever since, flushing every 30k.

I've NEVER had a rough 1-2 shift once the car was up to temp. I had one when it was in the teens and I had panic moment and had to floor it to avoid some crazy-person. I've heard Amsoil, Castrol, and M1 fluids are all loved in this Mazda-designed 5-speed auto.

I hate to say it but I think you may have a dying solenoid or worn part in your trans. I currently have 64k on my car and it's always great.

I am going to try one more time with M1. Mine seems to do it when warm! I have 6000 miles left on the warrenty. If it still too harsh after that I think its time to sell.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd put some Redline D4 in there. Best stuff out there imo. You can do some searches on here about it. Good luck.

Thats an idea. I see it is the only one that mentions FRN5.

Mazda ATF M-V
(03 on Mazda6, 04 on Mazda3, 06 on Mazda5, 06 on Ford Fusion w/FNR5 automatic transaxle)

+1 for giving the M1 ATF a try.

I've got 91,xxx miles on my Mazda. I've been using the M1 ATF for awhile now. At least the last 40,000. I do a 3 qt. drain and refill every 10,000 miles. Still runs like new.

Already tried. It "bang" shift worse with the OEM fluid.

Anyone want to buy a Fusion cheap! The engine UOA are great!

LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Already tried. It "bang" shift worse with the OEM fluid.

Anyone want to buy a Fusion cheap! The engine UOA are great!

LOL

There are procedures for troubleshooting a harsh 1-2 shift in the service manual. PM me and I can send them to you.

I have a 2007 Ford Fusion with the 5 speed FRN5 transmission. This morning I got another "bang" shift from 1st to 2nd. Its was so hard I though I was hit. About once every 2 months this happens. My first two UOA's were bad and I have posted them. I had the Ford dealership reflash the ECU. My question is this:

I have Castrol Multi-Vechile AFT in it now. Should I try Mobile One or Amsoil next to help with the "rough" shifting"? I am going to do a UOA next week but I only have 6000 miles on this fluid. This is a last ditch effort before I sell.

Is it the domestic or import multi-vehicle? It needs to be the import because the domestic is too thin.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Its the multi Vechile
Is it the domestic or import multi-vehicle? It needs to be the import because the domestic is too thin.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Thanks I will do we I get free.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back