Where oh where to work on my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in an apartment building and I have nowhere to work on my car. Well I can if I want half of me out in traffic.

Anyone know/have a place, especially with a lift or a floor jack, in the Los Angeles area? I don't have a problem paying by the hour or the day.

When I was an apartment-dweller in Houston, I would just go to a different apartment complex, park in an obscure area, and do small jobs there. Nobody ever bothered me, but the idea was that if they did- I'd just leave.

For bigger more long-term jobs, you're gonna need friends. Preferably rednecks.

your office parking lot on a sunday? Someone elses? pull up google maps and look for the industrial part of town, with railroad yards, warehouses, etc. Find the end of a dead end street that's still public property and set up shop. Or if the cops don't like it go commando.

When I was in college a "townie" parked in an out-of-the-way lot and proceeded to change all his fluids, including hot antifreeze!

I have personally used guerilla street mechanic skills to change a coolant sensor and spark plugs, plugs and wires (different car), and an alternator. Mostly people asked if I needed help or a ride. The alternator was across from a bus stop so I had an audience! Was mostly concerned about my tools "walking" while I was bent over the fender.

This is probably a regional/cultural acceptance, IDK if where you live would be as accepting. You could try the "I belong here and am angry" look with reflective vest, or the "I have no other options and happened to break down here-- if you leave me alone I'll be on my way" attitude.

Most people probably just hope you don't kill yourself on their liability or leave fluid puddles.

I used a congregations parking lot (changing wheel cylinders at 1AM in January!), the lot at my job, borrowed garages and the street. ANY car maintenance on the street in my town is verboten, but as long as you don't have it up on jack stands, they usually won't bother you. I won't swap an engine in the street, but I've done alternators and oil changes and brake jobs in the street.
we have a park nearby where there is a sign specifically prohibiting performing auto maintenance.

Autozone in the working class, but not ghetto/dangerous, side of town. When I lived in queens I did my work at AZ. I saw people doing everything and anything - struts, brakes, alternators.

Sometimes you just have to make a parking lot work. When I lived in an apartment complex, I would park in an awkward way to prevent anyone from pulling in too close, then get to work. I did coolant changes, oil changes, various "repairs" on the Explorer, and a multitude of other car repairs in the parking lot.

Parts store parking lots are a great suggestion. You are close to the parts/tools source as needed, and typically nobody will complain. I have seen someone change out the fuel pump on a Chevy Express van in an Auto Zone parking lot before. A fuel pump replacement is about as much as the typical DIY'er can handle in an afternoon.

Originally Posted By: onion
When I was an apartment-dweller in Houston, I would just go to a different apartment complex, park in an obscure area, and do small jobs there. Nobody ever bothered me, but the idea was that if they did- I'd just leave.

I like that suggestion; I can just imagine the people looking out their windows and wondering who "that guy" is!

Is this not allowed in your complex?
When I was single, I actually R&Red a cylinder head in my apartment's parking area.
Later, after we were married, I did everything in the parking lot of the complex we lived in, up to a clutch replacement.
Oil chnages?
Of course!
Where else?
Now, if working on your car is against the rules, do it anyway until someone with some authority tells you that you can't.
Also, if you can use a little side cash, almost anyone who sees you touching your car will ask you to work on their's.
When I was young and poor, I picked up some nice tax free change in just that way.

I've done a lot of work in Autozone parking lots. The one I got two has two parking sections, one where most people park and is quite busy. There is another section on the side of the building that has less traffic and parked cars, I usually go there to work on things. Like someone else said, it's not uncommon to see other people working on stuff outside the store, so that's probably your best bet.

I did lots of work in my old apt. complex's parking lot. It was technically against the rules. AFAIK, nobody cared as long as I cleaned up after myself. I always made sure to clean up, and to avoid a mess as best I could in the first place...

Its a tough spot. There are sometimes people that will rent out their garage to work on cars, but I can't see to many people getting involved in this for liability reasons.

In Los Angeles, there has to be dozens of decent mechanics that do work on the side from their home garages.

I would see what one of those guys can do for cash..

You wouldn't catch me doing any work in an Autozone parking lot. This might be hard in Los Angeles, but having an apartment/house with a garage is really nice..

You can close the door, and wrench away.

I feel fortunate having a garage with heat , air compressor,and all the tools at home, but I know what you guys are talking about, my son lives on the other side of the state in an apartment and its a strange feeling not knowing what to do if he needs some work, dont even know any good garages there to take it to.

I have seen just about everything in a local Autozone. I've watched guys put their cars on ramps and go to work. All day long. Nobody ever seems to care or complain. They have a pretty large parking lot with several spaces out of the way that have plenty of trees for shade. Seems ok if you can haul everything down there to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back