ATF as an oil cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has a 1989 Ford Probe that's making some clicking noises. I went to a Probe forum and they all think it's the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters because they have all had the same issue. Most of them are suggesting draining a quart of motor oil and then adding a quart of Automatic Transmission Fluid and then driving it for about 50 miles and then doing an oil change.

Is this a good idea? I was just going to suggest that she Sea Foam it and then oil change. Is this a common method, adding ATF to motor oil?

Adding ATF works to an extent on cleaning. I actually have done both you mentioned, ATF, Seafoam. Personally I like Marvel the most.
MMO (Marvel Mystery oil) is much more gentile as a cleaner. Just follow the instructions for the Marvel. I think it's 20% of the engine's capacity and run it a few thousands miles.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Use MMO, Rislone, Wynn's Engine Tune-Up, or Seafoam - much better results.

+1

ATF WILL NOT clean an engine, period. It has less detergent in it than motor oil. ATF is about a 5W-20 weight, so just use a quart of 5W-20 oil instead. But, if it were mine I would drain a quart and add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil instead.

I tried some MMO in my car last night after it was warmed up. I was about 3/4 quart below being topped off so I just put 3/4 of a bottle of MMO in it and listened for a difference. I could actually hear it getting quieter within the following minutes. Today I drove it around and it sounds and feels better. I'm definitely going to recommend this to my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back