ford tells me to run 10W40 in my 5.4 ford 3V

Status
Not open for further replies.
this should make an interesting debate i just took my 08 5.4 f150 in because of a tick at about 1000rpms and my dealer found nothing wrong and printed me a sheet from ford that said that vehicles with a vct tick at 800-1200 rpms are reccomended to run a 10w40. (grabs popcorn)

Last edited:
What? I can see it now.

New owners manual:

Dear customer, if you happen to get a good engine with no tick, use 5W-20. However, if you happen to get one of those pesky engines with a tick, use 10W-40, even if it not ILSAS approved.

We appreciate your business,

Happy Motoring

Lol cover up!!!
36.gif

No, it's not [censored]. All they are doing is masking the noise with a heavier oil. I've read it too. Guess what,Dodge has a similar TSB on their Hemi truck engines. Theirs are making a whining noise and the noise is coming from the piston cooling jets. All it took to quiet the noise was a heavier oil which is what Dodge advises in the TSB. These are not durability issues but customers who think all will be perfect on their over-priced vehicles and are finding that all is not so perfect.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Using anything but 5w-20 will cause cam phaser damage!....

No it won't.

Originally Posted By: swirlparanoid
this should make an interesting debate i just took my 08 5.4 f150 in because of a tick at about 1000rpms and my dealer found nothing wrong and printed me a sheet from ford that said that vehicles with a vct tick at 800-1200 rpms are reccomended to run a 10w40. (grabs popcorn)

Can you post a copy of that? Sounds like a trick the used car departments use to quiet an engine down, 20W50 or some Lucas Oil Stabilizer. LOL

Going up two grades is quite the change. Using 10w-40 is akin to adding STP to thicken up the oil.

Sounds like they are doing the easiest thing they can to placate the public........ I would like to see the TSB, wonder if the dealership made a phony TSB?

hope this works i had to be redneck nd take a picture of it since i dont have a scanner i did notice that it doesnt mention my year now......... Uploaded with ImageShack.us]imageshack[/url]

I was under the impression a "tapping" noise was due to oil starvation, i.e.: metal against metal of un-lubricated parts.

Wouldn't you want to go DOWN a grade rather than throw in a "thicker" oil, which would take "longer" to cycle throughout and lubricate the whole engine?

They want you to use it until the warrenty expires so they can make money off your rapairs then back to 5-20 she goes!I would check with another dealer if possible some dealers are well dishonest to say the leastseveral years ago i had a dealer patch up my a/c until after warrenty expired then wanted 1100 bucks to really fix it i got in trouble cause i tried to run over the service manager on the way out...true story,i'm not so hot headed now but would walk before buying anything from this particular dealer to this day.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, a 40-weight is going to BREAK things! I'm amazed the GT500, and Ford GT stay together with that 5w50 in them.

I think VCT tick complaints are a PIA for Ford service techs. Muffling it with a more dense oil is a way of appeasing the "critical customers". Nothing catastrophic should happen with a 40 wt in this engine. The excess pressure will be bypassed. This engine is designed to have a pressure reduction into the valve train (bearings/lash adjusters) and chain. The cam position sensor also compensates. I don't take this OASIS message to mean that a 40 wt is better for this engine in terms of durability. Ford did some changes in MY 2004 to this engine that optimizes the use of 5w20. Primarily, they increased the pressure and volume to the main bearings; along with a change in their eccentricity to minimize bleed off. By design, a 20 wt. oil is ideal for this engine.

It's tough when you have a very unhappy customer. You make concessions to make them happy.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Oh yeah, a 40-weight is going to BREAK things! I'm amazed the GT500, and Ford GT stay together with that 5w50 in them.

I agree with OVERKILL. If I ever buy a Mustang V8,5W50 is the first thing I`m putting in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back