Motor Oil Suggestion: 2001 Honda Prelude

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for suggestions for a synthetic oil to switch to. I’m also wondering if I should first switch to a synthetic blend before moving over to full synthetic. Right now I'm thinking about Mobil 1 0w-30 full synthetic.

Make: Honda
Model: Prelude
Year: 2001
Engine: H22A4 (2.2 liter inline 4 cylinder)
Oil: Chevron 5w-30 (API SM, I believe, petroleum-based motor oil)
Filter: PH-3593A (Fram oil filter)
Miles: 98,000

I'm unsure about certifications that the owner's manual calls for. I've tried to find an online manual but not much luck; I'll have to dig up my manual. I would imagine it’s SL since this model was around from 1997-2001.

As far as driving style goes I've been taking it pretty easy lately. Every once in a while other drivers make me push my car as hard as it will go (red lining every shift, which is 7500rpm I believe) but I don't do that too often these days. I drive anywhere from 20 to 100 miles a day, at least 50% of which is on the freeway and at most like 90%.

Currently I'm using a petroleum-based motor oil so I've been changing it every 3000 miles. I just went back to 5w-30 from 10w-30. I had been using 10w-30 although the manual says to use 5w-30 because for a while my car seemed to be burning oil and when I tried 10w-30 the oil consumption and black soot on my rear bumper seemed to go away. Now that I've read more about how motor oil works I really doubt that was what happened and I'm leaning towards switching to a 0w-30 synthetic now. Another reason that I am using petroleum-based motor oil for the moment is that it is much cheaper and I just did a Sea Foam before the last oil change. I followed the directions so 1/3 of the bottle went directly into the crankcase and I changed the oil 300 miles later. I just changed my oil again 3000 miles later and my next change I would like to switch to a synthetic for all the reasons anyone would switch to synthetic.

I would try a couple of OCI's of 3K miles with 10W30 Maxlife high mileage blend before going to a full syn. It is highly thought of here and will also do a nice job cleaning up your engine. Actually, I think you should just use this oil all the time and not switch over to a full syn. Great oil and you can find it at Walmart for around $15 for 5 quarts.

The Chevron you use is a really nice conventional oil.

Last edited:
My 2001 Accord calls for SJ rated 5w20 oil in the owners manual. I've used 0W20,5W20,0W30,5W30,and 10W30 and all work well. I do feel the engine revs a bit freer on the 20 wt. but its barely noticeable (and may be my imagination.)

The Chevron 5W30 that you are using is on the thinner side of the 5W30's and is a good choice, IMO. I'd stick with it for 5K OCI's.

Use something on the thick side of a 30 weight.

If youre thinking 0w30, id shoot for GC. The H22 is a great engine, but loves to burn oil, mainly by design.

The 2.2 engines used in the Preludes used ceramic bore liners that wear badly, and most of these preludes burn a lot of oil.

The engine isn't really hard on oil, so just make sure it is kept topped-up, and you should be good. You can also move your OCI up to 5-6k w/o worry.....

I've owned my Prelude VTEC since 1996 and have tried lots of diff. oils and filters.
It has definitely been smoothest and run the best on Maxlife 5-30 and Schaeffers 9000 5-30.
These engines do use some oil. Agree with keeping topped up.

Also, GC may run smoothly, but I think was a bit thick for this engine.

The h22 is known oil consumer. Stay off the vtec if you want to reduce oil consumption.

I have tried GC 0W30, Amsoil ASL 5w30 and PP 5w30. I found PP to be the best, I think Amsoil was good too but it was pricey and a bit of a pain in the [censored] to get as well I didn't like the 1L bottles.

PP comes in 4.4L or 4.73L container (so I can dispose of my old oil), car runs dandy with it. I burn about a quarter of a qt for my 6000 km oil change interval using Wix or Bosch Premium filter.

0W30 was ok but I found it heavy and again only available in 1L bottles.

I check up on my oil every 2 weeks, I think I am getting rid of more oil by checking it every 2 weeks lol.

Last edited:
I think I would use 5w-30 PYB or MC5K.

I ran 5w-30 PYB in my 99 CIVIC EX for many years and sold it last year.

Andy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back