2005 F150 5.4-What oil will help???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 05 F-150 with the noisy darn 5.4 engine (VCT) these are known for noisy cam phasers/VCT's.

Any of you guys find a specific oil that helps with these? I've tried Mobil 1, Rotella 5w40 syn. and now Motorcraft HDEO 15w40 mixed with 3 quarts of 5w30 to thin it out a little. The engine was pretty quiet for the first few weeks but its back to itself again. It specs 5w30, and I hear ford changed the spec to 5w20 recently. The truck works hard, wife tows a two horse trailer with it weekly and I haul firewood and tow a race trailer.

Have you tried a 20-weight, to see if it helps?

Some engine run better on thin oils, and are noisier/rougher on thicker oils.

This move to the 20 weights is not a recent move by Ford. One of my sons has a 2005 Ford F-150 with the 5.4. and it was specced for 5W20 when it was new. I believe Ford changed to the 5W20 recommendation in the early 2000's.

My son has always used 5W20; usually it has been the Motorcraft 5W20. His engine is fine at about 70,000 miles. He changes his oil later rather than sooner. I once, a couple of years ago, noticed that he had over 9,000 miles on his last oil change. The engine is still quiet, tho.

Sometimes you can chase a noise that is not hurting anything. I have gotten rid of many vechiles that were fine except for a noise. If it is not hurting anything try to forget it.

Surprising that an 05 specs 5w30. I thought ford switched most vehicles to spec 5w20 back in 00 or 01 due to cafe requirements. My 02 with the v6 specs 5w20 but I actually went to 5w30 and haven't had any issues.

Castrol Edge is a light 30w there should be no problems with it in the 5.4. How many miles on the engine?
Looking down the oil fill does it look clean?The cam phasers don't like crud or varnish.

I'm trying a product right now that seems to help noisy 5.4 engines but cant recommend it quite yet until i get some more miles into the test.Adding 16oz of MMO to the Edge may help,give it time to work in the engine as the result may not be immediate.

I have an '06 F150, same engine. These trucks have always spec'd 5w20. Because of the VCT and lubrication system design, that is what you should use. Don't let anyone else tell you that anything more viscous is okay. There is alot of literature dedicated to the theory and reasons why the VCT fails when the proper weight or maintenance is not followed.

You won't quiet it down with Rotella 40 wt. These engines use a high volume/pressure lubrication system (75 psi @ 2000 rpms, @ operating temperature). The VCT has metered oil orifices designed around the viscosity of a 20 wt. The main bearings are also different and VCT activation is based on an algorithm based on oil temperature and 20 wt oil. These are the main reasons for the 20 wt, there are others.

We've run MC 5-20 & 5-30 (even with Fram filters in some of them!!) in 98-current 4.6's/5.4's for a couple million miles in numerous E/F-150/250/Exp'ys/Navigators with zero issues. Plowing snow for hours on end, pulling trailers, etc... They routinely get 200K+ before the bodies go away. Never had any cam phaser problems..
54.gif

I've had customers that have had the 5.4 run noisier on thicker oil. These engines run best on the 5w20, even out here in the desert heat they get 300,000+ running MC5w20 and MC filter.

The Ford 5.4 loves the MC 5w-20. We've used it in a E-250 van with the 5.4 for 11 years now and it has over 250k on it with no leaks, noises, or issues. 5k oci.

Put the proper oil in it, 5w20, preferrably Motorcraft and give it a while, it might take a few hundred miles to quiet down but at least you know you are not hurting anything.

I agree on the 5W20 but Ford did have a problem with noisy cam phasers on 04 and 05 5.4s. I had an 05 and both banks ticked pretty loudly at idle. Both were replaced under warranty and all was quiet then. You should only hear the tick at idle and it sounds louder if you listen in the wheelwell area. If the tick goes away as soon as you speed the engine up over 1000 rpm's then its the phasers. Mine were done under warranty but I hear its not a cheap repair. Make sure your mechanic has the cam locking tool to hold the chains in place or else you have to remove the entire front cover.

Last edited:
This is also true. If sounds like a diesel, it could be a cam phaser issue. Try this link to see if your truck sounds like this example at 14:15

Go to bottom of page to episode 22.
Ford F150 VCT Theory and Operation

You may need to ignore these two guy's lack of personality.

Yes, I have already confirmed its my cam phasers making the noise only at idle, it goes away off idle and doesn't seem to bother the truck at all. The truck as 82k miles on it now, I bought it with 60k miles so I can't speak for the previuos owner but it seems well taken care of. Looking inside the oil fill tube looks good, no apparent sludge in there that I can see.

I will try the 5w-20 and see what that does, its had MMO in it for the last 500 miles now.

Thanks for all the info guys! I love the truck and since its no longer under warranty I surely don't want to replace the phasers myself...

When cold/cool, the VCT likes the thinner oil.
I'd stick with 5-30 or 5-20.
Do you have an oil TEMPERATURE gauge?
That would solve what oil to use .

Everybody worries about this, as long as you don't put 15W40 in it Im sure you will be fine. Ive run just about everything in mine, 5W30, 5W20, and mixtures of 5W20/30/40. It has 95k on it now and runs like it did when it was new.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back