Cracked Rhino Ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that's no good. I noticed when I pulled my truck up on a set of those ramps that they bowed out slightly, which I didn't like. They seem to hold my roommate's Civic fine, but I am going to look them over before I use them again.

I think I'm going to just make a pair similar to these. Since they are solid wood then I don't need to have any safety jack stands anymore.

Originally Posted By: tgferg67
I think I'm going to just make a pair similar to these. Since they are solid wood then I don't need to have any safety jack stands anymore.

That's what I use... and have no worries whatsoever.

Mine are shorter in length. Those in the picture are WAY too long, too bulky, and would be too heavy.

The wood came out of dumpsters....free.

I've never trusted ramps.
27.gif

I do use a home made one I made out of three pieces of 1x12 stacked flat like a low pyramid. I use this to lift up one side of the IROC just enough so I can get a jack under the front cross member.

It seems my 2370 lb saturn SC1 has cracked one of my Rhino ramps. Check those Rhino ramps if you are using them!

Cracked Rhino ramp photo

Thanks for posting. I have a set, and love them. I will have a look though. Mine are the 12,000 lb ramps, and they don't flex a bit with a 4000+lb Jeep on them.

Made a pair of those 20 years ago and still use them all the time. Mine are less than 4 feet long with 9 inch steps made out of 2x6's. That's all you need for a Smart Car to a full size pickup or SUV.

Call/email rhino, they would want to know, even if out of warranty. See what they're made of. I would not be suprised if they gave you a free set and took the old ones back for engineering analysis.

I've got a set of the grey colored, heavier duty Rhino ramps. I've used them many times, and not seen any cracks. The Camry and Avalon are the heaviest vehicles they've held (well, I put the neighbors mid-size SUV up once too).

Irrespective of the integrity of one's ramps, I strongly recommend always having a secondary support under the car before you go under there, for any reason, for any length of time.

I've mentioned this here before, but years ago, I represented the family of a U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer in a claim for life insurance benefits (why the need for an attorney is another story). He died because he tried to do work under his Ford using only a tire jack!!! The poor guy died because the jack failed and the car sagged on him, compressing his chest and suffocating him to death. It's been over ten years, and I still wish I could push a "reset" button on my head to erase the memory of reading the description in the autopsy report of how this man died. He struggled for a good minute or two, fighting a losing battle to breathe before the overwhelming mass of the car overcame his will to live.

Anyway, I don't even think about going under a car unless I have TWO separate, independent lift systems in place. Usually, I just slide a large, stout metal tool box under part of the body structure so as to allow me escape space just in case.

It may be a low-probability possibility, but do any of you want to spend your last minute or two on earth wishing you had ensured a secure lift (while knowing you're suffocating to death)?

Last edited:
I've put my truck (along with 5 other vehicles) up on my rhino ramps so many times I can't even figure it. Never had a problem.

I would be interested in making wood ones, though, based upon the easier approach of driving up the incline.

Jack stands for me, I even use 8 ton stands for a 1 or 2 ton car. Can never be too safe. My uncle broke a set of those stands with a 97 4 runner cracked it big time.

Speaking from some experience, I've never not felt safe under a vehicle. Unfortunately, I have had jacks fail on me. I learned a valuable lesson when one *slowly* failed. I had a good mechanic as a mentor that happened to be helping me that day pull me from under a truck before I got trapped.

You can never be too safe. I trust my ramps, assured the vehicle is in park (or in gear if M/T), parking brakes are set, wheels are chocked. Knowing the vehicle is a good place to start. A secondary security measure (jackstands, etc) would be a good idea, but I don't follow it.

Here is my diy ramp . I still have to add the stop.
I get another 1 1/2" of height versus the Rhino ramp and no need for safety jack stands anymore.

I used (2) 2" x 10" x 10' that cost me $22 at Lowes.
The bottom board is 34" and each board is 5 1/2" shorter, the last one being 12".

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
I'm still using the old school metal ones!!

I would still look them over from time to time and be mindful that they have the potential to weaken or fail. Though I haven't had any bad experiences with them personally, I have heard stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back