3.5L 07 Pontiac G6 V6 - Low coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched and read threads on Coolant Loss but generally speaking is it normal for the vehicle to lose coolant? I'm half way from the fill line on my G6. I didn't notice it when I looked at the car for purchase and am kinda worried. Its an 07 with only 31k miles on it.

I'm going to top it up after work and watch it closely, any specifics on what I should check besides the hoses and looking for sludgy goo around the intake manifold? I heard about the water pump but any way to tell if thats the cause?

New to me(approx 2 months). Half way from fill line cold(it should be at the fill line cold).

If the radiator is full (and DO NOT check it hot) and it has only lost a small amount from the overflow bottle, it's probably just evaporation. It happens over time. Motor oil will turn colors or get milky with coolant in it, and if an oil change is done after the car has been sitting for a while, the water will run out first. When you get home from a trip where the coolant got up to full temperature, leave the car running and open the hood to look for pinhole leaks in hoses, but if there's been nothing dripping, that's not likely either. I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
If the radiator is full (and DO NOT check it hot) and it has only lost a small amount from the overflow bottle, it's probably just evaporation. It happens over time. Motor oil will turn colors or get milky with coolant in it, and if an oil change is done after the car has been sitting for a while, the water will run out first. When you get home from a trip where the coolant got up to full temperature, leave the car running and open the hood to look for pinhole leaks in hoses, but if there's been nothing dripping, that's not likely either. I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Thats my thought ,too.So hypothetically it has evaporated about a pint or quart in 31k? not bad at all

Last edited:
Yeah I knew evaporation would occur, but never thought it would be as much as it is. I'll keep an eye on it and see if there are any leaks. I haven't noticed any fluid on the ground or on the under carriage during my previous oil change, so hopefully its harmless.

Also there is a TSB for bad head gaskets but thats for the 3.9L in the hi-po G6.

I haven't had to put that much in mine in over 100k km and 3.5 years. Small leaks in the right place can be next to undetectable. I had a leak in a Chevy Astro that took a long time to find, but I did get the smell of hot coolant, no visual signs though.

What do you think of those tires Anies? Did you put them on or were they on it when you got it? I have the same tires and love them.

So I went to top off my coolant today, bought some Zerex Dexcool. Topped off the fluid, and began to check for leaks. Well while I'm checking for leaks I see something pruny/wrinkly inside the bay. Its on the right side of the engine(literally), mid way down tucked into a rounded joint of sorts. I was like, hmmm is this part of the car, doubt they would use something this ***** and to what purpose?

So I reached my hand all the way in there, wrestling to get at it and pull it out. What do I find?
0517101951.jpg

This looks to be a dried up, burnt Tangerine.. YES A TANGERINE. God knows how long its been in there!? Could have started a fire! It was literally smoldered.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cp3
I haven't had to put that much in mine in over 100k km and 3.5 years. Small leaks in the right place can be next to undetectable. I had a leak in a Chevy Astro that took a long time to find, but I did get the smell of hot coolant, no visual signs though.

What do you think of those tires Anies? Did you put them on or were they on it when you got it? I have the same tires and love them.

I had the Hankook Optimos when I bought the car, they were shot, and part of the purchase agreement the dealer was going to replace the one that was really bad. They ordered the tire, and they ordered the WRONG ONE. Took 3 weeks and they got the Ventus instead. So I left, bought 3 more for $81 bucks a piece through my child hood friend(steal of price). I love em! Aggressive, grippy and all season!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Not it's not harmless. Type G6 Coolant Loss into google.

http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30498&start=15

# TSB #07-06-02-006 -- COOLANT LEAKING FROM ENGINE (REPLACE COOLANT CROSSOVER PIPE GASKETS). VEHICLES WITH 3.5L OR 3.9L ENGINE. *PE (NHTSA ID #10025683, MAY 01 2008)

lots of stuff out there but I can't be bothered to investigate for I car I don't own.

Yeah I read the two TSB's, I had the coolant/gasket leak on the Impala(which I gave to my brother so he had to eat the bill). I am hoping thats not the case, I inspected the manifold, the under carriage, all the hoses etc and it looks clean. Also peaked into the engine and its nice an clean(oil fill hole).

That tangerine is better than a Coke bottle in a door from a disgruntled assembly line worker.

Coolant level in the reservoir changes.
We should check it stone cold in the same parked position, if possible.
And some is lost due to evaporation, over time.

Have you checked the coolant reservoir overflow tube for wetness? On my '04 Grand AM with the same exact coolant reservoir (radiator) cap was weeping a few drops from the overflow/vent tube after the engine was warmed up for a while. Make sure that the cap is on snug but over tightening can damage the gasket on top and make it very hard to remove. I tried that first and no luck. New cap and no more weeping from the tube. Common problem with this design.
Also a bad cap can cause the coolant level to drop an inch or two quickly then suddenly stop leaking. Common problem on my VW Rabbits.

Last edited:
Yeah I tightened the cap to where it usually stops(can't over tighten I guess. The hoses looked dry and I made sure there were on there nice and secure. I'll check on the fluid after the rain stops Thursday.

Update, checked the coolant today after 4 hours and the overflow tank is empty...

Man if its the head gasket or manifold gasket Im going to be very PO'd. This should be covered under the GM power train warranty right?(5year 100k).

I'd be adamant about the TSBs, especially the head gaskets.

Cheese and rice - can GM make a frikkin car that doesn't leak through ANY gaskets!

My mom has the same engine in an 07 Impala - I'll be keeping an eye on it. It was losing a slight amount of coolant when we first got it, and a new radiator cap fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back