Modern oil in rebuilt old motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to run a "modern" 5W20 motor oil in a freshly rebuilt 1958 Chevy 348 big block motor. I've got about 500 miles on the break-in oil and want to put in the best oil for this motor. Usage is only for shows and vintage Chevy club low-speed touring.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mike Ahlmann
Sunnyvale CA
1958 Chevrolet Impala

Wow, just noticed this is your first post since joining in 2006.
welcome2.gif

modern is 5w30
5w20 is postmodern

yeah no 20s in something like that. most cars that spec 5w20 have aluminum parts

If you've converted to a roller cam and are using a high-volume oil pump, have honed out all the oil passages, and basically built it for very high volume oil flow, then maybe it would be OK.

If you still have a flat tappet cam and haven't blueprinted the oiling system for extremely high flow rates, then I'd stick with an HDEO in Xw30 or Xw40 grade. I personally run Shell Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic in my 60s vintage Mopar 440s. I originally intended to use 5w30 in the '66 when I built it and went with an HV oil pump. If I had it to do again, I'd reduce the pump flow rate since the pressure consistently runs 70-80 PSI (hot, above idle) with the 5w40 oil. I'd rather see it in the 60-70 range, which is what the stock engine in the '69 does on the same oil.

Its not so much the viscosity of modern 5w20s and 0w20s that bothers me in a vintage engine, its the additives. All the Xw20 oils are fully intended for *modern* engines with roller cam followers, light valve spring pressures, roller timing chains, and no distributor/oil pump drive gears at all, so they've got lower doses of the high contact pressure additives (ZDDP and its replacements) than heavy-duty engine oils like Delvac, Rotella, etc. If RT6 came in a 5w20 grade, I'd probably try a run of it and seen how the UOA came back.

10W30 would be OK... Would probably use a 40 weight if it was mine. I have a lot of friends that would use a 15W50 weight if it was a flat tappet cam or even a roller.

I just had a Boss 302 rebuilt and stroked to a 331 roller and the builder is telling me to use a 15W50 or 20W50. HV/HP oil pump and it has been dynoed on 20W50 oil at 460HP. The clearance's are pretty tight(.028) so I am wondering if I should drop down to a 40 weight. Loosing some power or gaining longevity is the question.

So you can see that choosing an oil weight can be all over the place. LOL. Good luck choosing which one you should go with.

Last edited:
As Johnny says i would use 10w30 rotella also.. i just used 15w40 rotella in my friends 66 impala with the 327..
I will post some pictures soon that car will be seen on tv in August..

Ha ha, see what I mean on 40 or 50 weight oil. I quess either one would be a good choice. LOL.

If I run it at higher rpm's for any amount of time, most of my friends tell me to go with the heavier oil. They all race vintage cars like Shelby's, Cobra's, etc. They all swear by 15W50 Mobil 1 or Valvoline VR1... These are guys that are spending huge dollars on rebuilds and they want them to last as long as possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back