What oil for Kaw 23hp in hustler z-turn ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've ran the hustler oil for the extended warranty but I'm on my last change. I have amsoil 20w-50 in the hydro. Preferrably Amsoil or schaeffers for the motor, but what do you guys run, and at what OCI ? Thanks, Chris

Last edited:
If you already have an Amsoil connection, why not run their 10W-30/SAE30 commercial oil that is made for those engines (and not too expensive)? You could run any number of their oils and do well. Their 10W-40, 0W-40, 5W-40, 15W-40, etc.

If you have a Schaeffer connection, then get some of their 15W-40 7000 blend or 5W-40 9000. Either of those would give you great service and long engine life in that harsh air-cooled environment, and for a great price.

Go at least 100 hours on any of these oils.

Amsoil ACD 10w30/SAE30W killer oil great TBN,very shear stable thats all i use in my outdoor power equip.

i do 100hrs OCI with this oil and a yellow P1 filter,priced right too!

A diesel oil ?? Your right not too bad. Only comes in a gallon and that's 4 years worth of oil @ 100hr intervals (50 per year for me). $24 for 4 years, nice.
I bought a case of Amsoil Eao09 filters right as they stopped offering them so I did good there.

Originally Posted By: JD4440
A diesel oil ??

yes, a HDEO is the best choice for a hi rev'en hot running air cooled small engine.

I've got an eight year old Husqvarna lawn tractor with the Kawasaki 15 h.p. air cooled twin in it. It's got around 400 hrs on it and hasn't even required a valve lash adjustment. I've been running various quality brand 10W30 conventional oil in it with no ill effects. This year I switched to Shell Formula 10W40 because I bought a bunch of it for $1.79/litre. Can't go wrong with that quality of oil for that price.

From my experience, these utility engines don't require anything special. My engine runs like the day I bought it. Same power, same smoothness, no adjustments needed. My machine only gets 50 hours a year on it so the oil isn't that flogged with annual oil changes every spring.

Personally, I don't think it makes that much difference as long as you keep the oil level up and change it as required. I recommend the best suitable oil for the least cost.

I have another lawn tractor at my cottage with a 16.5 h.p. Honda GX engine in it. It gets the same treatment. No problems with that one either.

I'd run Shell Rotella-T 5w40 or another off the shelf HDEO in that Kawi 23hp, but you sure can't beat Amsoil or Shaeffers.

Joel

Originally Posted By: daman
Amsoil ACD 10w30/SAE30W killer oil great TBN,very shear stable thats all i use in my outdoor power equip.

i do 100hrs OCI with this oil

Does anyone do UOA's on these or is 100hrs pretty much the norm since it's only 2 qts. most times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back