2006 VW GTI 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up my new GTI. Its got the 2.0T engine that first appeared in the Audi A3. Anyway it a fantastic engine and I want to use the best oil I can. VW calls for a 502.00 rating @ 5W-40 and hence the Mobil 1 0W-40.

Wanted to get feed back from the field on this. Plan on using Mobil 1 0W-40 with change every 3,000-4,000 miles. This oil used to be called "European Formula", that phrase is now gone from the packaging. Is it the same oil?

Thanks!

David

There is no reason to go less than 5,000 - 7,500 miles between drains, even if you are a maintance nazi. I would use synthetic for sure. At least until it is determined that this motor will not be a sludge monster like the old Audi and Passat 1.8t motors. I use top quality everything on new motor designs until it is proven that I don't need to.

Perhaps the Euro oil forums would be a better place for this post (although you will get a lot of posts extolling the benefits of German Castrol 0w30).

In any case, VW recommends the first 2 oil changes at 5K and 10K. All others are at 10K intervals. The PDF brochure on the VW website includes the standard disclaimer that vehicles on the severe service schedule (IOW, just about every vehicle) could benefit from oil changes "more often," but it doesn't define an OCI. I note that VW UK recommends a flat 10K no matter what, unless you have an oil life monitor (which US VWs don't).

Mobil 1 0w40 is what my dealer puts in my GLI (also a 2.0T). It seems like a fine oil that should work well with the engine. The 2.0T drank a lot of oil the first 9,500 miles during break-in, but I'm nearly at 12,500 (about 3000 since the 10K service done at 9,500 miles), and it hasn't used a drop yet. I intend to go the full 10K, but will check the oil level at least every 1000 miles.

My 2.0T seems to be very tight oil consumption wise. I've just turned 1200 miles and the oil is still at the full mark.

I'm interested in the GC 0W-30 but I simply can't find it anywhere I look.

The reason I was going for a shorter OCI was in fact due to the history of the 1.8T engines. Perhaps these new 2.0T engines will prove to be better in the oil degrading area.

I'll prowl around in the Euro oil forums to see what I can find there. Thanks for the input.

David

quote:

Originally posted by tamu_man:
....If you really want to make things bullet proof, use redline.

I'll second that motion. Another good thing about Redline is that it seems to keep an engine looking brand new internally, if it is used from the get go.

FWIW, I have noticed some disagreement over whether or not wear is greater when using Redline over PAO's, GRP III syn's. & dinos; however, I'd take spotless engine internals (even with a few PPM greater wear) over varnished engine internals, any day of the week.

Here's the only catch; Redline is not officially approved by VW for use in their engines. I say forget the VW oil nazis, & run Redline.

quote:

Originally posted by yannis:
Are you sure for the VW 502.00 approval? It is for older models. Yours calls for a 504.00

yannis, if I'm not mistaken, VW 504.00 is a Euro-specific oil spec., not something that is called for in models sold in the USA. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Big Dave, congrats on the new toy!

A little bit OT, but how do you like the sound of this engine? I personally haven't driven one nor even heard one, but a few people commented that it sounds like a diesel engine or at least not as nice as the old 1.8T. That was in the A4 though, not the VW.

The commercials alone make me hope it sells well.
LMAO - umpimp your ride - representin' Deutschland - VeeDub.
smile.gif

Congrat's!

Scott

Hey Quattro Pete,

Yes this new engine (2.0T) has a somewhat harsher sound...almost diesel like. I believe its the high pressure direct injection. You only hear it with the hood open otherwise inside the car it sounds fine.

David

The engine is slightly louder, but get used to it. VW is using direct injection in a lot of gasoline engines, as is Ford (including Mazda). The 2.0T sounds more like a diesel than a 1.8T but by no means does it sound like a diesel. The 2.0T is a very sweet engine. It has virtually no turbo lag (a marked change from the 1.8T).

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
yannis, if I'm not mistaken, VW 504.00 is a Euro-specific oil spec., not something that is called for in models sold in the USA.

Both of them are Euro-specific oil specs.
smile.gif

There are many people on this board that used synthetic in the 1.8t sludge motors and had no problems. It was the folks that used conventional that had most of the problems. The standard drain intervals with synthetic should provide great protection. If you really want to make things bullet proof, use redline.

yannis, the US import version if the 2.0T does not make full use of all the emissions-reducing features the Euro version offers. VW 502 spec oil is used in the US, although some VW 504 spec oils (Elf comes to mind) are available in the US.

Right NOW, the U.S. market gasoline spec is 502.00. For the diesels, it's 505.xx. Straight from an '06 owners manual. The different diesel spec is due to an injection pump design issue.

Of course, the VW spec is like the daily number, so could change tomorrow to some other, new spec.

It's worse than software.

I find all this VW "spec" business really annoying. I've got a brand new 2.5 with 6.3 qt sump that puts out all of 150 hp . . . and I can run no less than an A3 oil in it. In my NA Volvo white blocks (which put out 18 more horsepower), I could probably run Wesson Oil and get away with it.

Note to VW: Engineer a decent lubrication system so you can run mainstream oil grades like everyone else.

quote:

here are many people on this board that used synthetic in the 1.8t sludge motors and had no problems. It was the folks that used conventional that had most of the problems.

VW dealerships were using cheap bulk 5w-30 in those engines.

I'd find a better 502 oil than Mobil 1 0W-40. Unless they've changed the formulation, it was one of the weaker Euro engine oils. I like the ConocoPhillips76Kendall 5W-40 Euro engine oils a lot.

Ken

I still can't believe the 10k MILE (not km!) OCI, unless one racks up alot of miles out on the open road. I am also surprised that the (transverse-mounted) 2.0T's oil sump is barely larger than the (longitudinal) 1.8T's wimpy 4 quarts. The change in driveline geometry would have been a perfect opportunity to increase the oil sump size by a much-needed additional quart. (In the U.S., even on dino, Jetta 1.8Ts rarely developed the Audi A4 / VW Passat 1.8T "coke habit.")

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
I'd find a better 502 oil than Mobil 1 0W-40. Unless they've changed the formulation, it was one of the weaker Euro engine oils. ...

Please support your assertion.
___
Disclosure: I currently use Mobil 1, but not enough to prop up the share price of my modest XOM stock position.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by yannis:

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
yannis, if I'm not mistaken, VW 504.00 is a Euro-specific oil spec., not something that is called for in models sold in the USA.

Both of them are Euro-specific oil specs.
smile.gif

VWoA strikes again! The Europeans get a 10k mile / 16k km OCI on 504, and VWoA blithely assumes that Americans will be OK with the same OCI on 502. Yes, both are synthetic, but isn't 504 the tighter of the two specs?

John_E

VW 504 00-rated oils haven't made it across the pond yet. The main reason VW is switching to 504 (gas) and 507 (diesel) is precisely to eliminate the myriad oil specs that emerged over the years.

Most 502-rated oils are also 503 01-rated, so I'm comfortable in a 10K OCI. That's precisely the UK OCI, even with 502 00-rated oils.

Volvohead, oil specs are a European thing, since over there the auto manufacturers (not the oil companies) set the standards. The Volvo engine may be rated for ACEA A1 conventional oils, but I'd guess that Ford doesn't specify a long OCI on it. Would you be able to confirm or deny that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back