Do you put oil in the new filter before install it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess if it is necessary, since I never do it, but I read some people when replace the filter put some oil in the new filter and let it soak before install it, does it make any difference?

For vertical upside mount filter, you can and should add some oil before install it. My filters are horizontal mount so that it's make a mess if I add oil into the filter.

Can't. They're both horizontal.

It's not as if we're starting an engine sans oil. The skim left from the old oil should be enough for a half-second (for most cars) while the new oil is passing through an empty filter.

I just recently did it on my 1990 4Runner. The filter is mounted diagonally with the base facing down and I prefilled it enough so the oil wont spill out.

Yes, I do, but my filter goes on horizontally, so It takes more effort to do, and I can't put as much in as I could on a vertical one. It certainly doesn't hurt.

I usually change mine when I start to notice the oil pressure light staying on at startup, I figure that the anti-drainback valve is getting tired. It's always nice to see the light go out right away again (barring the first start where it has to re-fill the system).

Apparently Caterpillar says "no", fearing the unfiltered bulk oil on the clean side.

Originally Posted By: mesmo
I guess if it is necessary, since I never do it, but I read some people when replace the filter put some oil in the new filter and let it soak before install it, does it make any difference?

When I was working as an apprentice mechanic for a Chevy dealership years decades ago, we didn't pre-fill the oil filter canister before bolting it to the block. (The oil would have leaked out the bolt hole at the bottom until the bolt was snugged down!)

After the spin-on oil filter came out with the '68 model year cars, the collective wisdom became pre-fill the filter assembly before spinning the filter onto the engine block. Old habits never die, I still pre-fill my oil filter when changing oil on my SBC's.
18.gif

Only with diesels. That's what I was always taught. Don't ask me why, I have no good reason why other than I would get chastised if I didn't.

When I was working for a bridge construction company we always did it but some of those filters were H U G E and took a lot of oil. Same with fuel filters. That said I don't bother with my personal cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back