Motorcraft brake pads = GOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So yesterday, went to Ford for my 10K tire rotation.

They advised me that I needed to put front brakes on the Expedition. Well, I already knew that; I had purchased pads about four months ago, and just hadn't got around to doing them yet. The inside pad on the drivers side was VERY bad he told me, and that I should really do them immediately. I thanked him very much and drove it home.

Started on the brakes. The had used an impact on the lug nuts, so I knew I had to re-torque them all to 150lb-ft, since none of them were any where NEAR 150lb-ft, and the consistency was horrendous.

Well, half-way into the first wheel and it starts to rain. And it only got worse. I was drenched by the time I finished, but knew that the rain wasn't going to let up, so that's why I continued.

It appeared as though the sliders were sticking a bit on the drivers side. The inner pad was massively more worn than the outer. Not so with the passenger side.

The pads that came off were Chinese junk that the dealer I had bought it from (NOT a Ford dealer, or a brand dealer) had put on for it to pass safety. I'd never been happy with the brake feel, and knew the pads were garbage.

Stopping today, with the new Motorcraft pads was a pleasure. Consistent braking, EVERY time. Fantastic pedal feel. I'm very pleased with these pads.

I'd post pictures of the pads I took off, but you guys would probably kill me
wink.gif

Motorcraft pads are all I run on the truck and Mustang. They last, are dead silent for the life of the pad, come with brand new clips, don't dust much, and are priced reasonably.

Most of the store brand pads (not including high end aftermarkets like Hawk, etc.) have very little vehicle to vehicle engineering behind them.

The China pads dropped dust like no one's business. And they also made noise. These are dead-silent.

I have Motorcraft pads on the Lincoln as well. They replaced some Wagner pads, and I liked the Motorcraft feel better on it too. Though the Wagner pads were a million times better than these Chinese things.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
So, what was done to remedy the sticking slide??? Sil-glyde and call it a day, did you sand them, or???

I removed the slides, they were clean, just dry. I put some System 7 moly brake lube on them.

I then cleaned up all the slide points with a wire wheel, then a file. Applied the System 7 brake lube to all slide points and then reassembled.

I put a set of Chineese rotors on my old Merc GM and in 15 months they were junk. Terrible pulse. You could actually see hard spots in the brake rotor. I changed to Wagner pads and rotors and had no brake problems after that.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I put a set of Chineese rotors on my old Merc GM and in 15 months they were junk. Terrible pulse. You could actually see hard spots in the brake rotor. I changed to Wagner pads and rotors and had no brake problems after that.

I am currently running China pads and rotors on my Explorer. Zero dust, and no squeal. Three years into them, they are only about 50% worn. Best pads I have ever had except for the ones that come on the car when new. Cost was $30 per set and $28 for rotors.

My mechanic only uses factory pads. He does upgrade the rotors to ATE's (which have still warped despite burnishing).
I don't know whether this is good or bad, but it sounds like you are having success with factory, so go with it.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Did you replace or turn the rotors?

No. The rotors were new when we bought the truck. The are probably Chinese too, but seem to be handling things a lot better than the pads did. They have about 50,000Km on them. They look good, so I didn't bother.

Sounds like you got your money out of the old pads.

I just got a set of Centric rotors and Hawk pads for our Navigator, I will put them on this weekend and report back with the results.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Sounds like you got your money out of the old pads.

I just got a set of Centric rotors and Hawk pads for our Navigator, I will put them on this weekend and report back with the results.

Yeah, they were free, LOL

Hawk pads stop very well. But from what I've seen, they don't last very long.

I bet freeing your caliper pins was also a large contributor to your satisfying brake feel.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I bet freeing your caliper pins was also a large contributor to your satisfying brake feel.

There's definitely a possibility. They weren't seized by any means, just hard to move.

How old is your brake fluid?

As for Hawk HPS pads - I've been running them for yrs in two different Fords and they last at least as long as the OEM Motorcraft pads, with less dust and better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back