Car oil in a riding mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new lawn tractor. The break in period is over and I want to change the oil. Home Depot and other such stores all carry "Lawn Mower" oil that comes is SAE 30 or 10W30.

My question is, am I limited to the small choice or "lawn mower" oils or can I just put in car oil like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum?

Here's the mower's info: 19.5HP Briggs and Stratton (500cc). Owners manual gives a variety of weights as long as they are classified SF, SG, SH, SJ, or higher and are a detergent oil.

I put 5w30 in mine. After 16 years everything else was shot but my motor ran perfect

I've always put Pennzoil HD 30 in all of my lawn mowers be it either push behind or riders. Never failed me yet.

Straight weight HEDO's some say are better but these motors do ok on anything. The 22hp B&S Intek recommends 5w30 & 10w30 & has a oil system that pumps 30 to 50psi.

I did some more browsing on the internet and it looks like most people just by pass the "lawn mower" specific oil aisle and just head straight for the automotive oil.

My mower came with SAE 30 in it but is only recommended above 50F and the manual says "expect harder cold starts." 10W30 is okay but the manual says "expect higher oil consumption" with it. Synthetic 5W30 is the only oil in the manual that covers all the temps I will be using the mower in and the only weight that doesn't list any downsides.

Looks like I will be filling up my mower with Mobil 1 5W30 come this weekend. If it's good enough for my truck than it's good enough for my mower.

By the way, I got an Ariens Automatic tractor with a 42" Deck. I love it.

People really don't know what they are missing by running a HDEO HD30 like Rotella or Delo. The multi-weight oils burn off turning to a thick caked on varnish, these air cooled engines have nothing in common with the way a car engine is driven. Most of the time you crank up a mower, you cut it off when finished, it may sit a week or so, maybe a days worth of on/off usage, still nothing like short trips in a automobile engine. If you have your mind made up then I have no problem with your choice, if your want better look at HDEO HD 30

I've never used anything but 'car' oil in my mowers. Straight 30 weight or Synthetic 10w30.

I wonder why my manual recommends a 10w30 or a SYNTHETIC 5w30? Why not a synthetic 10w30???

Also, is SAE 30 and HD 30 the same thing?? If not, what is the difference?

Originally Posted By: willix
Straight weight HEDO's some say are better but these motors do ok on anything. The 22hp B&S Intek recommends 5w30 & 10w30 & has a oil system that pumps 30 to 50psi.

read the temp range in that manual, and youll see it recommends sae30 in mowing type temps

I have two manuals for my mower. One is the owner's manual and the other is the manual for the B&S engine. The owners manual only gives two recommendations: SAE 30 above 40F and 5w30 below 40F.

However, the B&S manual that came with my mower says SAE 30 above 40F and to expect harder starts; or Synthetic 5w30 for all temperatures.

I am a stickler for following the manuals for everything. So, I think I am going to go with Mobil 1 5w30. The B&S manual doesn't say it's the best choice, but does "imply" it is the best oil to use simply because of what it says about all of the other choices.

Besides. Mobil 1 doesn't come is a straight 30 wt. Alright, thanks for the help. Done deal, Mobil 1 5w30, mind is made up, can't change it now.

5w-30 or 10W-30 synthetic oil is best...according to me....my preference is Royal Purple 10W-30 SL...RP 5W-30 in the Snow blower..also SL.

I had valve noise problems in the 9 HP Honda engine with an SM Synthetic.

I get the RP at WalMart.

I would use a 10W-30 motorcycle oil synthetic before using an SM rated oil.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
I have two manuals for my mower. One is the owner's manual and the other is the manual for the B&S engine. The owners manual only gives two recommendations: SAE 30 above 40F and 5w30 below 40F.

However, the B&S manual that came with my mower says SAE 30 above 40F and to expect harder starts; or Synthetic 5w30 for all temperatures.

fyi..that mower manual has NOTHING to do with the engine. and briggs has recommended sae30 since Noahs ark. Ask a briggs master tech (any of them) and youll see wich is the better choice. briggs has said for yrs that 10w30 will cause engine to loose power.

now i know alot of you dont care, or just want to argue. but some ppl actually come on here seeking quality advice. and more often than not the question arises " what oil for my mower"? so im going to use this example to answer that question to an OEM spec. First, ope is not a vehicle, a car maker makes both the engine and the car (in most cases). OPE is made up of components, (ill use a riding mower for example) its made up of a mower (brand), a transmission(brand), and an engine(a briggs in this). so, lets say you have a Husqvarna(ayp) riding mower powered by a briggs engine. Husqvarna(ayp) has no idea if that tractor is getting a briggs or a kohler or....engine, and they dont care as there job is to produce a tractor. so husqvarnas owners manual is great to see how a belt is routed,etc..but is NOT the place to find info on the engine. Now briggs (in this case) is producing a component (an engine) and guess what? briggs has no idea (nor cares) who's buying that engine. Maybe its going on a Husqvarna mower, or maybe its going on a generator used in Antarctica? once again...they dont care. so they make a "generic" onwers manual, and for THAT reason they show different oils used in different temps, 5w30 in cooler climates and sae30 in warmer/mowing conditions. I'm sure some will roll their eyes to this, but some are seeking info that is OEM based. Sincerely, Retired OPE Manager, overseeing sales and service of JD, Scag, Exmark, Husqvarna, Echo, Red Max, MTD, and Arctic Cat products for years.

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
...so husqvarnas owners manual is great to see how a belt is routed,etc..but is NOT the place to find info on the engine..

Thing is, the equipment manufacturer has to cover the warranty period. For instance, if the Kohler cooks on my Cub, it's going back to the dealer I purchased the Cub from. They can hash it out with Kohler if need be. My new one has 3yrs/180hr warranty. Like I've said in other posts, my Z-Force manual specifically recommends Shell Rimula 15w40 or 10w40 SJ or above for the Kohler Courage series engines on this machine. If you flip through the Kohler Courage manual, it specs 10w30, SAE30, 5w30, 5w20. Same goes with my 31yr/old Case 220. The Case manual recommends 20w40 for the 10hp Kohler-K on this tractor for heavy-duty use. Kohler says SAE30.
You can go round'n round all day with this thing. I've still never seen an engine crater due to using the 'wrong' viscosity range of motor oil. Do I think they'll last longer going above and beyond what the engine manufacturer recommends? Yes I do.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back