Small 4x4 truck new vs used, how used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well being a cheap guy that intends to use a truck and not baby it i'm having second thoughts on the 25k plus stickers. I looking for a 4x4 extended cab v6 with a stick (nissans and toyotas).
I have found 03-04 Tacomas with any where from 22k miles to 75k miles for about $12,500 to $17,500.
I have also found a few 06-08 Nissans with 20-40k miles for $17-19k.

Financially speaking i like the idea of a cheaper truck like the Taco with 73k for $12k. or even $16k for a 04 with 22k miles over the Nissan for $20k.

What are your thoughts on the age and milages regarding the trucks reliability and cost of ownership? I intend to drive all my vehicles to failure. But i hate to see a new truck (with payments) get scratched up on the trail.

I'm aware of the possible frame rot issue on the Tacos is there any other things i should be worried about?
It's not easy being cheap, thanks for the help,
Greg

Curious as to why you haven't considered something like a Ranger?

Could probably pick one up cheaper than your other two options, and they are known to be VERY reliable.

I am a fellow cheap person. Last spring ('09) I started looking for a good deal on a used Toyota 4cyl 5speed X-tra Cab Pickup. I was replacing a '93 Jeep Cherokee with 307k miles that I bought new in '92.
My thought is that the truck would have to go at least 250k miles and a new one was $25k, so my break-even point (all else being equal) was $25k - (mileage*$0.10).
I ended up getting a '10 Tacoma. Even the ones that were close to the price threshold had warts that a new one definitely wouldn't. It took me a while to wrap my mind around the idea that a new truck was the best deal.

If you find a great price and it looks like the upkeep has been done religiously, go for it. I hope you had better luck than me.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Curious as to why you haven't considered something like a Ranger?

Could probably pick one up cheaper than your other two options, and they are known to be VERY reliable.

I have to agree. I bought a 2010 Ranger, brand new, 4.0L, 4x4 sport, well equipped for 20k out the door. 1-2 years old low mileage they can be had for 12-15k, I looked at several but none of the used ones I could find were stickshift (deal breaker for me)

Feels just as solid and well built if not more so than any of the Japanese models I checked out. And my last car (for 7 years) was a Toyota so don't think I'm "import" bashing.

Toyota and Nissan make some nice trucks, wouldn't hesitate to drive either but a Ranger is a solid little truck for a good price, do at least test drive one.

I just bought the Ranger below in my signature for $4500. It has 85,000 miles on it and i expect to drive it to 250,000+. $12-15,000 is too much for a little truck. Way too much, i don't care how new it is.

I looked at used Toyota trucks, but for ~$1000 more, I could get a new one, so I did. They really hold their resale value.
For the deal you got, I'd have bought that Ranger, too. But I like the turning radius and ground clearance of the Tacos, and there were no such 4500 deals around at the time.
I think the OP would be good with either.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I just bought the Ranger below in my signature for $4500. It has 85,000 miles on it and i expect to drive it to 250,000+. $12-15,000 is too much for a little truck. Way too much, i don't care how new it is.

You are very correct sir! I would have done the same.

Ford. I never thought of them. I'll see if the local dealer has a stick in stock. I do not have much experience with the blue oval but i'll take a look. Resale is not much of a factor for me but rangers seem to drop quickly. The numbers on the imports look better too. But i'll keep an open mind.
Thanks for the input. i'll report back.
Greg

Resale is probably much higher with the Toyota, and maybe Nissan too, but if you're going to drive the wheels off it anyway...

Rangers are good trucks. As I said though, the Toys, at least in the standard cab, have more ground clearance from the factory, a little tighter turning circle, and a few other advantages.
Mechanically (reliability, etc.) they are probably about equal, IMO.

My brother just went through a similar situation. He ended up with a brand new Taco, for the price difference, the new ones are the best deal. He test drove almost every compact truck out there, Toyota was the best in his opinion and mine. Rangers have tiny cabs if you are taller than average (both my brother and me are tall) and we found them too small. I also have a few friends with Taco's, and no one I know has any complaints. IMHO, Tacoma is the best compact truck on the market hands down.

Any truck less than 10 years old with less than 100K miles should have plenty of life left in it. None are really unreliable or problematic anymore.

I can't speak for the lifetime reliability and cost of ownership with current model Tacomas and Frontiers because I just don't know - I haven't seen many with over 100K miles yet. I imagine it won't be a problem though. Both brands know what they are doing with small trucks.

I can speak for the Ranger. If you want a vehicle to drive the wheels off of, it's a good choice. They are not perfect, but problems tend to be minor and can often be ignored if they don't bother you too much. Many have racked up very high miles with minimal repairs. My truck is currently at 94K miles and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon. The body is covered in scratches and dents, but it still runs and drives great. Aside from all the mud stains, the underside is still perfect with no leaks or rust. I would drive it anywhere tomorrow.

To be honest, the Ranger is the only compact pickup currently sold in the US market. All the competition has moved into the mid-size category. If someone is interested in a new Ranger, they'd best get one soon. Plans are for the elimination of the model when they close the current assembly plant, in about a year.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
^^^That's too bad. They'll replace it with an ugly, boxy, 5000 lb. model.

Ford intends to introduce a V6 powered F-150 as a substitute. Ford believes that the typical Ranger buyer will either buy the F-150 because they really wanted a much bigger truck, or a Fiesta because they were really seeking the fuel economy. Personally, I think Ford is completely full of [censored]...

I didn't know they dropped the 6 from the 150.

I agree completely...Not everyone wants a big truck. I don't need a work truck I needed a sport truck for light hauling (mostly dead deer) that won't sink in the sand and mud...and can turn sharp enough to miss the trees.
Besides, it actually fits in my 1955 garage.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: river_rat
^^^That's too bad. They'll replace it with an ugly, boxy, 5000 lb. model.

Ford intends to introduce a V6 powered F-150 as a substitute. Ford believes that the typical Ranger buyer will either buy the F-150 because they really wanted a much bigger truck, or a Fiesta because they were really seeking the fuel economy. Personally, I think Ford is completely full of [censored]...

If they put together a f150 with a decent v6 motor, and good fuel mileage I think that people would buy it. A 6 foot bed, and a standard cab, maybe a 6 speed automatic and a direct injected v6 motor.

Quote:

If they put together a f150 with a decent v6 motor, and good fuel mileage I think that people would buy it. A 6 foot bed, and a standard cab, maybe a 6 speed automatic and a direct injected v6 motor.

Problem is it will cost $22K. They will have poser add ons and stupid junk anyone who wants a work truck won't pay for. I miss my 89 F150. No AC, C6, I6, crank windows, bench seat and the little triangle shaped windows that pivoted out, that's it.

Last edited:
I bet you can still order a work truck F150, but you might have to go through a fleet dealer, or get a salesguy who won't play dumb and say nothing like that's available anymore.
I'm pretty sure I've new F150's in the last couple years advertised as low as $18k, reg cab, long box, 2wd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back